Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland

• 30-04-2007 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Sunderland are up, so which players will cut the mustard in the premiership? Any players you think Keane will be eager/likely to sign?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Alot will depend on what happens with Simpson and Evans. If he can keep them, then I think he doesn't need to spend as much money as people make out.

Keane will go for character over reputation in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

As an Irishman, but also an adopted Geordie and member of the Toon Army, what are my obligations towards Sunderland these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

apparently Tommy Kuzczack (or however his name is actually pronounced...) could be on his way to sunderland on loan next season, was reported in the papers they have first option on him.

I can see Simpson staying there for another season, but i fully expect Evans to be back at United next season - with Silvestre and Brown looking likely to be sold.

I think Roy could make a move for Robbie Keane; but he is an important player at Spurs so I reckon Defoe and Mido will be moved on before he is. Joey Barton is another player Sunderland are rumoured to be interested in, but I can't see him leaving City for Sunderland, even if a takeover doesn't happen.

It will be interesting to see who Roy does go for, cause i think the squad will need some new faces. David Connoly has never really cut it in the premiership, and i'm not sure Murphy will either. Stokes has the talent, but there are still question marks over him for me. I think Sunderland will have to spend big if they want to make in impact; but i have no idea who they should or will be after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Can't see Roy getting players anywhere near the quality of Robbie Keane, why on gods earth would Robbie want to go to sunderland?! as much as people might like to pretend otherwise, sunderland will be one of the favourites to go straight back down next year.

More than likely go for players with buckets of experience coming to the end of their careers (a la Sheringham, Cole etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Watch out for Bellamy ending up at Sunderland...much to the distain of Newcastle punters :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The excitement factor around the club, as well as Keane's profile could be invaluable in attracting new players. He showed how shrewd he was in the transfer market this year, wheeling and dealing when he only had a short period to sign players when he arrived last august, and again in the january window. I think he'll sign some good players, and I do think they'll stay up next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I cant imagine Spurs being willing to sell Keane, especially at whatever price Sunderland could offer (am assuming that of course, but C`ship teams generally dont have Chelski money, its part of the reason they get stuck in the C`ship in the first place)

Besides, Im not sure many teams are eager for Keane. While he is currently on form for Spurs he hasnt been great for Ireland in 3 odd years, Im sure some managers would think this poor run could transfer to his league appearances. I could see him singing Doyle/Hunt but I doubt theyd have the cash until after a year or two in the prem, for Doyle at least anyway.

shane86 wrote:
    I cant imagine Spurs being willing to sell Keane, especially at whatever price Sunderland could offer (am assuming that of course, but C`ship teams generally dont have Chelski money, its part of the reason they get stuck in the C`ship in the first place)

Besides, Im not sure many teams are eager for Keane. While he is currently on form for Spurs he hasnt been great for Ireland in 3 odd years, Im sure some managers would think this poor run could transfer to his league appearances.
    I think Sunderland will have a lot more money then most teams coming up - the backing the club is getting from certain irish people is not small, and they are a year ahead of schedule. I don't think they will be outspending chelsea; but I would not be surprised if they spent about 20million, if not a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I think he plans on going for Duff.
    Not sure who else really. Where are Sunderland lacking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Did Quinn not promise 50 million minimum if they go up?

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote:
    I think he plans on going for Duff.
    Not sure who else really. Where are Sunderland lacking?
    all over, really. The team have done very well, but i think they will need new signings in defence, midfield and attack, if they want to make a big impact. Although, Reading have shown the a championship squad, with a couple of players added can do well if they stick together and fight all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

i wonder - will this lead to seeing loads of sunderland tops around ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I can see John O'Shea at Sunderland next season. I don't know if Keane is that knowledgable about foreign leagues to be able to pluck a player from some random French/German team ala Wenger has consistenly done.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two Eircom League players head over either. Roy O'Donovan or Joe Gamble maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

odonnell wrote:

Well there is a lot more Chelsea and Arsenal tops around the place since 97 so who knows!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gillie wrote:
    Well there is a lot more Chelsea and Arsenal tops around the place since 97 so who knows!;)

Irish football 'fans' are nothing if not glory hunters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I can see John O'Shea at Sunderland next season. I don't know if Keane is that knowledgable about foreign leagues to be able to pluck a player from some random French/German team ala Wenger has consistenly done.

isn't O'Shea the exact opposite of a player Keane would want? he always seems so easy going...

Gillie wrote:

hehe and then theres all those poor schmucks that go and get black cat tattoos... awww the agony if they get relegated, or sold!

It strikes me that, among all the transfer speculation, its all smacking strongly of a 'jobs for the boys' scenario. Has keane actually made it known that he wants these players (duff, oshea, r. keane, etc)...or is it speculation?

If i were keane, and dont get me wrong here i think that there are soem brilliant irish players, but if i were keane - that would make no difference to my signing policy. Id be signing the best i could manage...dont we think keane will do that to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kinaldo wrote:
    As an Irishman, but also an adopted Geordie and member of the Toon Army, what are my obligations towards Sunderland these days?
    1. Forget about the middle part. Sunderland are the only team you can legally support anymore.

2. You are obliged to get a Sunderland Jersey.

3. You are obliged to talk about Sunderland as if you have been supporting them your whole life, when in reality you can't name the majority of the squad.

4. You are obliged to make that 'pfft' sound when anyone tells you that they 'don't care' about Sunderland, and say 'But what about Keano, Quinny and all the Irish lads, ah shure ye have to support them'. Then tell people they are somehow inferior 'Irish' people if they don't agree.

5. Buy some rope, you'll need it to keep yourself from falling off the bandwagon.

6. Tell everyone you see that Keano is the second coming of the Messiah.

7. Tell everyone how you 'can't wait' to see Keano and Fergie side by side on the touchline, just like you 'couldn't wait' to see Keano murder McCarthy when the pair met this season.

8. Call Sunderland your 'second' team. Deny it is impossible to 'support' two teams in the same league.

9. Say you wouldn't mind if your team lost to Sunderland next season, 'just because'.

10. Never, ever, travel to Sunderland to watch a game.

11. Go to see Sunderland playing a few friendlies around Ireland in the Summer, support them and boo the actual Irish teams they are playing.

seansouth wrote:
    1. Forget about the middle part. Sunderland are the only team you can legally support anymore.

3. You are obliged to talk about Sunderland as if you have been supporting them your whole life, when in reality you can't name the majority of the squad.

4. You are obliged to make that 'pfft' sound when anyone tells you that they 'don't care' about Sunderland, and say 'But what about Keano, Quinny and all the Irish lads, ah shure ye have to support them'. Then tell people they are somehow inferior 'Irish' people if they don't agree.

5. Buy some rope, you'll need it to keep yourself from falling off the bandwagon.

7. Tell everyone how you 'can't wait' to see Keano and Fergie side by side on the touchline, just like you 'couldn't wait' to see Keano murder McCarthy when the pair met this season.

8. Call Sunderland your 'second' team. Deny it is impossible to 'support' two teams in the same league.

9. Say you wouldn't mind if your team lost to Sunderland next season, 'just because'.

11. Go to see Sunderland playing a few friendlies around Ireland in the Summer, support them and boo the actual Irish teams they are playing.

hahah brilliant. absolutely brilliant....

heres to next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

odonnell wrote:
    Doubt it. As bad as we are in this country I've personally never known anyone to start supporting an English team in their 20's or 30's. The bandwagon starts with the kids so in 10 years time we'll no doubt be seeing a load of Chelsea fans packing pubs out.

Instead of telling me how many more people are travelling from Ireland to watch Sunderland does anyone actually know someone that supports Sunderland now that didn't 12 months ago? Anyone that bought a Sunderland jersey this season but didn't have the slightest interest in them last year is all I'm looking for. :) I've yet to see one as much as every LOI fan goes on about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I know a few that started as soon as keane was hired.

Sunderland will need a good few players to stay up, defenders, midfielder's, and strikers.

eirebhoy wrote:
    rant :D
    Ah, you're just bitter because all the skobes are going to start supporting Sunderland instead of Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I have always been an avid follower of the irish cricket team sunderland

seansouth wrote:

LOL :D Classic, should be in the humour forum.

Id only disagree with one point. Wouldnt say its impossible myself to support two teams in the same league with good reason. If I was English Ive always imagined Id support both my local club and whatever prem/big city team was nearest i.e. if I was from Watford Id probably support them and Arsenal, if I were from Wigan probably them and Man City/Liverpool (seeing as its between the two not aware of which city they more identify with). As for the jerseys Heatons were selling them back when Sunderland were in the 20s for not a whole lot, too bad I didnt buy them in bulk and sell em for 50 odd now. re bandwagonery you dont see as many Newcastle or Leeds shirts in Ireland as you once did.

re point 11 though its embarrasing on the few English prem visits here when the stadium is packed full of ingerlanders. But the Irish are bandwagoners anyway. How many people were in the pub the night we played San Marino/Czech/Wales? Slovakia was the first reasonably crowded pub match Ive seen in yonks, the rest were pretty sparse. We love a bandwagon- did most people even know we had a cricket team for example, or did they assume that only England, South Africa, the Caribbean, Aussies and the Indian subcontinent played it? The amount of people who knew/cared about rugby seemed to skyrocket during the build up to the croker matches. Hell, even this forum had Homer Simpson like "who won, the losers?" fans after the Cyprus match saying they were praying for whoever next to win.

Personally I refused to join the mid 90s Utd bandwagon when I was about 10 and some guy told me that Peter Schmeichal had never let in a goal :rolleyes:

Meh, personally, I wholeheartedly support a team in the lower lower eschlons of the english league (because they won the first game I attended waaaaaay back in 1980). Hopefully, they'll get promoted this year, but I see no harm whatsoever in taking an interest in a team so long as they aren't in the same division. In europe, I'd always lend my support to Arsenal, Pool or United. In the prem I'll always cheer for the team that plays the best football, or has the most irish players.

I've seen Sunderland, they play good stuff, they have alot of Irish players (I've always admired Connolly and thought that he's been very unlucky with clubs) and I see no harm in cheering them on with the provisions that they're the 2nd/3rd team I read up on in the mornings and that if they meet my team in a cup, I hope they're slaughtered.

In any case, Sunderland under Keane has no small similarity to the play and ethos of Forest (my team :D) under "God".

By the way, I think Connolly would do well in the premiership if given a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

shane86 wrote:
    re point 11 though its embarrasing on the few English prem visits here when the stadium is packed full of ingerlanders. But the Irish are bandwagoners anyway. How many people were in the pub the night we played San Marino/Czech/Wales? Slovakia was the first reasonably crowded pub match Ive seen in yonks, the rest were pretty sparse. We love a bandwagon- did most people even know we had a cricket team for example, or did they assume that only England, South Africa, the Caribbean, Aussies and the Indian subcontinent played it? The amount of people who knew/cared about rugby seemed to skyrocket during the build up to the croker matches. Hell, even this forum had Homer Simpson like "who won, the losers?" fans after the Cyprus match saying they were praying for whoever next to win.

Personally I refused to join the mid 90s Utd bandwagon when I was about 10 and some guy told me that Peter Schmeichal had never let in a goal :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: Christ, get over yourself!

Personally, I've supported Utd. since the 80's when I was a whipper snapper and it certainly wasn't during their glory years, but I'm certainly not a fanatic when it comes to supporting them. There's only one team that I support passionately and that's the Irish Team and therefore when it comes to watching the likes of the EPL I always like to watch teams that have a big Irish contingent or play nice football. So next year I'll certainly be rooting for Sunderland and hoping they do well.

BaZmO* wrote:
    :rolleyes: Christ, get over yourself!

Personally, I've supported Utd. since the 80's when I was a whipper snapper and it certainly wasn't during their glory years, but I'm certainly not a fanatic when it comes to supporting them. There's only one team that I support passionately and that's the Irish Team and therefore when it comes to watching the likes of the EPL I always like to watch teams that have a big Irish contingent or play nice football. So next year I'll certainly be rooting for Sunderland and hoping they do well.

Get over it? Mate, if most united fans took your laid back attitude to it Id probably have ended up supporting them myself. My main gripe is with the "we`re the best eff the rest" Ingerland-esque Irish contingent who you know full well would be off like a shot if Man U went to the championship (pretty much an impossibility but still).

Anyway, its a Sunderland debate, not really a Man U one. Personally cant see any harm in supporting them, its always good to see a self made Irishman/Irish players do well.

see this raises an interesting debate though.... ive never thought about this before in any real detail because in Scotland it isnt REALLY an issue. You support a team for a number of set and recognised reasons. Here though, im amazed at the diversity of teams that people are into - and i wonder for what reasons?

Ive great respect no matter who or why your team...footie is footie - but its still intriguing as to how you came to 'support' yur team none the less....

Most Irish people don't support English/Scottish teams.

They are fans of them.

There is a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I predict the Sunderland backlash will start on page 3!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I have always been an avid follower of the irish cricket team sunderland
    The Irish cricket team is different. :) That's our country being represented at a world cup. It was probably the first time Ireland played live on TV too. I hadn't a clue about the game until the world cup but by the end of that Zimbabwe match my heart was racing. :D

seansouth wrote:
    Most Irish people don't support English/Scottish teams.

They are fans of them.

There is a difference.

thatsa fair point, but what would your differences be?

For me the difference between a fan and a supporter are not that big to be honest. I know guys who are blue blooded yet have never been to ibrox. their book shelves are packed with memorabillia, books, dvds, and so on - yet they cant really afford a season ticket or they live abroad. These guys are supporters yet - a lot of the time they take stick because theyre not sat in Ibrox every other week.... for me theyre as much a supporter as anyone - theyre injecting a lot of cash into the team and sleep/eat and breath that teams football every day.

a Fan on the other hand - for me... not quite so avid a follower but still checks the scores at the weekend.

I was born a gers supporter, havent always managed to afford the strips, the dvds, and havent been to many games growing up due to the same reason...but im blue blooded alright.. id hate for anyone to tell me im not a real supporter because i cant go to Ibrox every fortnight or travel with them in europe.

anyway - thats my thoughts on the difference between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

eirebhoy wrote:
    Instead of telling me how many more people are travelling from Ireland to watch Sunderland does anyone actually know someone that supports Sunderland now that didn't 12 months ago? Anyone that bought a Sunderland jersey this season but didn't have the slightest interest in them last year is all I'm looking for. :) I've yet to see one as much as every LOI fan goes on about them.

I’ve always thought that Sunderland had a relatively big following in Ireland. Mainly since Quinn was top man there. It continued when McCarthy took over as manager and obviously is gone way out of proportion now that there is a Cork element involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2 Flag of England DF Stephen Wright
    3 Flag of England DF Danny Simpson (on loan from Manchester United)
    4 Flag of Northern Ireland DF Jonny Evans (on loan from Manchester United)
    5 Flag of Republic of Ireland DF Kenny Cunningham
    7 Flag of Trinidad and Tobago MF Carlos Edwards
    8 Flag of England MF Dean Whitehead
    9 Flag of Republic of Ireland FW Anthony Stokes
    10 Flag of Republic of Ireland FW Stephen Elliott
    11 Flag of Republic of Ireland FW Daryl Murphy
    12 Flag of England DF Nyron Nosworthy
    13 Flag of Wales GK Darren Ward
    14 Flag of Scotland MF Tommy Miller
    15 Flag of Wales DF Danny Collins
    16 Flag of Sweden MF Tobias Hysén
    19 Flag of Spain MF Arnau Riera
    20 Flag of Trinidad and Tobago FW Stern John
    23 Flag of England MF Grant Leadbitter
    24 Flag of Northern Ireland GK Trevor Carson
    27 Flag of Slovakia DF Stanislav Varga
    28 Flag of Republic of Ireland MF Graham Kavanagh
    29 Flag of England DF Peter Hartley
    30 Flag of England MF Jake Richardson
    31 Flag of Republic of Ireland FW David Connolly
    32 Flag of Hungary GK Márton Fülöp
    33 Flag of Scotland MF Ross Wallace
    34 Flag of Trinidad and Tobago FW Dwight Yorke
    36 Flag of Republic of Ireland MF Liam Miller

None of them are good enough for the premiership as individual players, put it another way the majority of boards members support Prem Champ and now League 1 (eh leeds ;)) What players there would improve your team. Same could be said of most of Sheffield Utd and maybe even Watford.

But Keane has them playing as a team and working for each other, getting them to play the kind of football that will keep them in the PL is a different story. If he buys in a load of players the ones who got them up will be pissed.

They could stay up via hard work and home wins ala Sheff Utd but to not be involved in that battle they better players and lots of them.

Have seen point 11 in the flesh numerous times vs pool,newcastle SUNDERLAND!!! and lol my fav Celtic fans booing irish players :)

kdjac

I'd argue that a few of those players would improve most premiership squads.

I thin Keane has modelled his team on the 00 era United side. Character, graft and good football. Doing the simple things correctly - as Giles might say.

If you look at Connolly, he's never been given a chance - he's played CL football, but never been given the opportunity to play to his strengths in the EPL.

When asked recently about strengthening the squad and then specifically Connolly the club journeyman having had alot of clubs (implying he wasn't good enough for the top flight) - Keane's response was "Maybe he's never had the right manager". The reporters laughed, but Keane remained stoic and pointed out it was serious answer.

At the moment, Sunderland are playing good football from the back, they're lethal on the counter-attack, they have fast dangerous wingers and they don't stop playing until the whistle goes - hence alot of last minute goals. What other team from recent history does that remind you of?

I think investment in a strong spine to the team - GK-CB-CM-FW with the best of the current players, honest, grafting players with character to spare, should see them safe in the premiership.

I think that Keane is slowly building a club on that ethos and having missed the stages of great managers like Clough and Fergie building teams from scratch on good footballing principals, this is a joy to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

some good posts on this from the gaffer des himself!!!

im delighted for keano and big niall and one of the shareholders, who lives near me and is great friends with my uncle. its some achievement. however, they need to spend wisely, not big. looks like tommy kuz could sign for them on loan and dont be surprised if rossi heads up there, maybe even silvestre.

wes browne, along with o shea and fletcher will never leave or be sold. the only other player is richardson and even roy knows he is sh**e. it will be interesting to say the least when keano comes back to OT. what are the odds that united play sunderland on opening day of the season?

evans especially will be a big loss to sunderland, i can see him slotting in for a good few games with united next year, he has been immense with sunderland all season.

anyway, congrats again to sunderland and lets not forget old brucie who has shipped some amount of stick over past few years off the birmingham fans, especially this year. delighted for him, he has aged alot since managment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

seansouth wrote:

lol

fantastic post, I'm still smiling from reading it

:D

Advertisement