Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike shop in UCD

Options
  • 30-04-2007 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Does this shop repair bikes for the general public too or is it just for students of UCD? If so, what's the usual turnaround for a small repair job?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

They are fairly slow and suit themselves. Whenever I have gone in they nod their heads and say not today. Dunno bout general public, but go to a better shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Go to the bikeshop in Dundrum. The belfield bike shop is pretty expensive and as dirkvodoo they take their own sweet time and then do a half arsed job. Bike shop in dundrum are quick and much better value for money.

You dont have to be a student to use belfield bikeshop.
    Its completly privately owned (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I needed them to replace a wheel, the next time I cycled the bike the breaks werent attached, a very scary trip through rathgar crossroads was the result.

Of course, its not that difficult to reattach the breaks, and I cant prove that they didnt mysteriously come off while I was cycling rather than negligence on the bike shops part. But when I went in to complain the guy said that they never touched the breaks; so I am curious how they changed the wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

They did a botched job on my brakes once too.I brought it back to them and they said that I was obviously overusing them or something. Twasnt me It was them who just did a crap job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

OK, best avoided then. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

I think there's one down on the rock road opposite booterstown dart. If it's still the same owner as 3 years ago then it was v. good service

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

As far as I am aware the Bike Shop is owned by Green TD Eamonn Ryan.

Personally I found them fine. Their style of customer service is a little unorthodox granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I know them well enough so they always treat me very well, so I haven't a bad word to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Service and repairs are a little...eccentric to say the least. On the plus side, they're friendly and parts are very cheap compared to any other Dublin bike shop I've gone to. I tend to go to them and buy what I need then do the work myself.

Joe Daly in Dundrum has been mentioned, Cycleogical on Bachelors walk or Cycleways on Parnell street both run excellent repair shops as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

keep well away from them.

absolutely useless and unreliable anytime i have used them.

would not have a good word to say about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i think they are grand, just dont go there if you need your bike back in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Mark 00

ferdi wrote:
    i think they are grand, just dont go there if you need your bike back in a hurry.

It took them over a week to put a new saddle on mine. complete wasters.

And that fella with the mullet and the earring...

Carlsberg dont do stupid, ignorant fcukers but if they did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Mark 00 wrote:
    It took them over a week to put a new saddle on mine. complete wasters.

And that fella with the mullet and the earring...

Carlsberg dont do stupid, ignorant fcukers but if they did...
    in fairness, if you need to bring your bike in to a shop to put a new saddle on it, your comment about the mullet guy might be a bit hypocritical.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yes, indeed, a saddle is pretty much plug and play

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

If you want they will give you the tolls you need to fix your bike on the spot yourself. I went down and asked them for a puncture repair kit and they just gave me the stuff and said fix it yourself. Fair enough I think. Plus its good to know how to do this kinda stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

They destroyed a 250 euro part on a friends bike (rear shock unit, clamped and dented the stanchion). Handed it back to him without saying a word, he had to argue with them to get a replacement and ended up with a 2 year old used part.

On a service of disc brakes for a bike of mine they leaked brake oil over the pads and disks, rendering the brakes useless and dangerous. Obviously hadn't a clue what they were doing.

They are incompetent, avoid them if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've had good experiences there, job well done and very reasonable prices. I would have thought those guys like their bikes. Not quick by any stretch of the imagination though, but I wasn't in a rush. You don't have to be a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tony smit

fairly old post...
    was there today,
    new guys working there now, very friendly and helpfull guys, repairs get done within the hour when quiet or within the day when busy!

pricewise there much more competitive than most bike shop, bought a pair of lights in a biek shop in sandymount for 25 euro, found the exact same one in belfield for 22... it s only 3euro but makes the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

tony smit wrote: »
    fairly old post...
    was there today,
    new guys working there now, very friendly and helpfull guys, repairs get done within the hour when quiet or within the day when busy!

pricewise there much more competitive than most bike shop, bought a pair of lights in a biek shop in sandymount for 25 euro, found the exact same one in belfield for 22... it s only 3euro but makes the difference!

You could alternatively have bought them in a pound shop for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Boardzee

<snip unsubstantiated allegations>

Please contact the Gardai with this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Bearing in mind that this thread is 6 years old, I would say the bike shop staff were really friendly, 6 years ago. This no longer applies.

I have never met ruder staff in any bike shop, and there's quite a bit of competition out there, as many people will know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Bearing in mind that this thread is 6 years old, I would say the bike shop staff were really friendly, 6 years ago. This no longer applies.

I have never met ruder staff in any bike shop, and there's quite a bit of competition out there, as many people will know.

They've been gents anytime I was there last year. Don't need a bike to get to college this year but have seen the same heads about the place anytime I've walked past.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Boardzee

<snip>

The Gardaí have been contact about the issue Spurious. The said they would follow it up with the bike shop and they guy who currently has my bike, but I am yet to hear back from them 10 days later so they seem not to give a damn even though I've reported 3 different bikes as stolen to them previously which is why I am so irate.

There is no doubt the bike in question is mine. I keep a record of the serial numbers of all bikes in the house and serial number on this bike matched up to my stolen one. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

I have always found them very friendly and helpful :( I don't know what they were like in 2007, but in 2013 they usually fix things for me as soon as I walk in the door

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If this is in the hands of the Gardai, we'll leave it there.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement