Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Chelsea CL semi - 2nd leg

• 30-04-2007 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

So, the countdown to the game tomorrow evening begins. It is Liverpool's biggest game of the season so far, and the tie is closely balanced. Many pundits are gioving Chelsea a clear advantage, but I dont see it so clear cut, because if Liverpool score first, and they clearly can, then this tie is wide open and if anything it will be advantage Liverpool.

The other aspect is that Chelsea are not performing brilliantly at this stage of the season. Indeed, in comparison to their other recent seasons they are below par. Their dropping of pts on the weekend and the effective end of their campaign for the league title (bar a catastrophe) means that they wont be coming into this game with happy minds. Also given the turmoil in the camp during the season and the Owner/Manager spat, its far from a happy camp and there aren't that many happy campers in there either. Of course Chelsea will be formidable opponents no doubt.

Also open to question is what Liverpool will we see on the day. They will need to raise their game, obviously compared with the last match which was a pale version of what they can produce. Big performances will be expected from many, but also the selection and formation will be key. I hope Rafa comes up with the goods. The fans will play their role as the 12th man.

Any team news yet? With so many rested at the weekends practice game against Portsmouth, lets hope that fresh minds and fresh legs will serve the cause well. It would be good to see Finnan start.

Its gonna be a tumultuous night, one way or the other.

Redspider

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

can definately be done. did ya see the ref is the same guy who did the final in Istanbul and the *******kos game - that has got to be a good sign! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Anyone know what the odds are on liverpool to win this if Chelsea are favs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

redspider wrote:
    Their dropping of pts on the weekend and the effective end of their campaign for the league title (bar a catastrophe) means that they wont be coming into this game with happy minds.
    Maybe last weeks performance is bringing out the pessimist in me but the fact Chelsea now need a miracle to win the league could have the effect of ensuring they are really up for this game as its the biggest competition they still have a chance in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Many pundits are gioving Chelsea a clear advantage, but I dont see it so clear cut, because if Liverpool score first, and they clearly can, then this tie is wide open and if anything it will be advantage Liverpool.

If Liverpool score, it will still be advantage Chelsea. 1-1, will be even, but if it ends in a draw, Chelsea will win.
    Furthermore, Liverpool know this, and if it gets to 2-1, it's very dangerous to sit on this, as it's not holding onto a win with the chance of a draw, it's holding onto a win with a chance of a loss.

Basically, I can't see Chelsea not scoring.
    Drogba will dominate Agger and Carragher again.
    Mascherano isn't good enough, yet, to hold off Lampards attacking talents.
    With Essien back aswell, and of course, their best player last season, Joe Cole.
    Also there's the small matter of that player Shevchenko, I hear he is good.

IMO, if Chelsea score, the tie is over.
    I can't see Liverpool putting 3 past them, and I think for them to try and do this, will leave them desperately open for the break.

IMO, it's huge advantage Chelsea.
    Not saying Liverpool can't win it, but I think it'll require a big effort.
    The other aspect is that Chelsea are not performing brilliantly at this stage of the season. Indeed, in comparison to their other recent seasons they are below par.

I agree, but they were below bar playing Liverpool before, and they won 1-0, and the key is, they didn't concede.
    Their dropping of pts on the weekend and the effective end of their campaign for the league title (bar a catastrophe) means that they wont be coming into this game with happy minds.

Maybe, or maybe they will be uber fired up for it.

Also given the turmoil in the camp during the season and the Owner/Manager spat, its far from a happy camp and there aren't that many happy campers in there either.

This hasn't affected them all year, why would it now?
    Of course Chelsea will be formidable opponents no doubt.

Yes they are :)

PHB wrote:
    If Liverpool score, it will still be advantage Chelsea. 1-1, will be even, but if it ends in a draw, Chelsea will win.
    Furthermore, Liverpool know this, and if it gets to 2-1, it's very dangerous to sit on this, as it's not holding onto a win with the chance of a draw, it's holding onto a win with a chance of a loss.

QUOTE]

why if it ends 1-1 (presume ya mean Agg), why will Chelsea win?

• Advertisement

Sorry that's not that clear, obviously at 1-1 it'll be even, but if it ends in any other draw, Chelsea will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Anyone know what the odds are on liverpool are to win this if Chelsea are favs.

For the game itself, Paddypower's market is:
    Liverpool 7 - 5
    Draw 2 - 1
    Chelsea 21 - 10

So, they are favouring a Liverpool WIN over the 90 mins. I wouldnt be surprised by that, but it may only be 1-0 so that would mean extra time, or indeed penalties. They are making Chelsea 4-1 on to get through to the final, so they obviously see a goal coming, like many out there. I for one think a Chelsea goal is far from certain. At 1-0 down, Chelsea may well run out of energy reserves. Its all to play for really.

For the CL itrophy tself, their market is the same as it was after the matches last week, ie:

Chelsea 11 - 8
    Man Utd 2 - 1
    AC Milan 4 - 1
    Liverpool 9 - 2

It all depends on what type of Liverpool turn up on the night.

Team News: Carvalho likely to be out, Essien likely to be in defence, Ballack is out too.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Carvalho missing is HUGE as he has been excellent this season, and can handle Crouch as well as anyone. Essien being back would be a big plus for Chelsea, if he wasn't coming back to drop into defence.

Like the Untied/Milan tie, this one is very very close. Dunno which way it is going to go. I still fancy Chelsea for it, cause they are brilliant at grinding out a result, and a draw is all they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Liverpool are more than capable of beating Chelsea by a couple of goals. The atmosphere at anfield will be nuts. Personally I hope Riise is allowed to play left wing, I hope Zenden is left at home, and I think Hyppia needs to play instead of Agger. He might be slower, but he is stronger and wiser.

Maybe, but if Hyppia players, Drogba will just beat him for pace. People forgot that Drogba is just as fast as he is strong. And with Carragher not being the quickest either, you could see Liverpool getting doen for pace.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer that it came down to that, instead of Agger losing every single high ball to Drogba last week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody interested in going to the game see This thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think it's Chelsea's to lose tbh. I'd be surprised if they didn't go through although I have a sneaking suspicion that Liverpool will get the 1-0 result and it'll go to penos.

i know penalties is something of a lottery . . . but i think if it went to penalties i'd be fairly confident, especially with Reina in goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i know penalties is something of a lottery . . . but i think if it went to penalties i'd be fairly confident, especially with Reina in goal
    Cech is a superman though - wouldn't bet against him saving a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I think the Chelsea players are starting to feel the long season now. They look tired. Liverpool rested nearly their entire starting 11 against Portsmouth at the weekend.

Liverpool can produce big performances in the champions league.

Also the atmosphere at Anfield will make a huge difference.

I'd slightly give Liverpool the edge. I don't think Chelsea did enough at the Bridge.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Personally I hope Riise is allowed to play left wing, I hope Zenden is left at home, and I think Hyppia needs to play instead of Agger. He might be slower, but he is stronger and wiser.

Agree about Riise
    Agree about Zenden

No, dont play Sami. Rafa wont play him anyway, but Sami has is lost for pace and turn in direction, etc, and would be gobbled up by Drogba on the deck.

Agger will have learned something from the 1st match perhaps. Carra is fast enough to cover a lot of sitiuations as well, and nearly intercepted Chelsea's goal (Drogba's pass to Cole). That man saves us umpteen times. Drogba's domination over Agger didnt create that many chances really, but Agger will need to learn to tackle rather than shadow too much. Drogba will be used as an outlet/target and will try to feed Shevcenko or whoever else is up front (Robben?), but it would be good for Agger to get in the odd header or two and you are right that he could lean a thing or two from Hyypia in that regard.

I think a key for Liverpool will be the defensive attributes of the full-backs and the defensive midfielders, as in Alonso and Mascherano. They need to pick up the likes of Lampard coming through, Joe Cole, SWP, or anybody else they throw at us.

If Pennant is given the berth on the right, will Stevie G play left, and we have two up front? I think Crouch may well be a starter given that Carvalho is off, and either Bellamy or Kuyt. I think I'd like to see Bellamy tried, but he will have to make better runs, come into the game more and not wait all the time for the over-the-top ball.

Its intriguing ....

Redspider

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I'd prefer that it came down to that, instead of Agger losing every single high ball to Drogba last week.

Perhaps, but while Carragher can cover for Agger's lack of ability in containing Drogba, he can't cover for Hyypia in pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Gonna be hard for agger to cover drogba when he wont be playing hopefully.

Finnan is back

Also there is a certain call for the frenzied zeal of Sissoko over the measured reactions of Mascherano. I know Sissoko can't pass the ball, but Masch was terrible in the first leg, Sissoko would be more disruptive, he would give Chelsea less time on the ball. To be honest, given Alonso's so-so form this season, I would have no problem with him being dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Gonna be hard for agger to cover drogba when he wont be playing hopefully.

Finnan is back

And ?? Finnan being back just means that Arbeloa won't be in there or at least so I hope, I still balme him for giving up on Cole for Chelseas last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd favour Chelsea to go through, but obviously hoping that's not the case.

Hyypia or Agger?
    Agger, particularly in the first half, was completely bossed by Drogba, and couldn't get to grips with him at all. That said, he started to assert himself more as the game went on. Carra also grew into his role. I would say that a lot of it can be put down to nerves and inexperience - and hopefully, should he start, he'll be a more composed player.

Hyypia apparently played well at the weekend, but I think it's playing with fire to change our first-choice defencive pairing for such a game.

--

Apart from that, it's been all good news for Liverpool. Finnan is back, which is a massive boost. Riise should be almost a certain to start on the left of midfield now, which gives us a goal threat, and will certainly offer more than Zenden.

Carvahlo, apparently, is out. This could be mind-games from Chelsea, but if it is true, it's big news for Liverpool. Essien will no doubt play in central defence, where he doesn't look comfortable. With Ballack also out, Chelsea's midfield looks a little lightweight. Sissoko might be able to impose himself more, and is worthy of a start. That said, Macherano is also capable of doing the business. If Essien is in central defence, I'd predict Crouch to start.

With the final only 90 minutes away, and so many Chelsea players one yellow card away from a suspension, this could be another advantage for Liverpool.

The most important thing for Liverpool is to come out of the traps quickly, as they did against Juve in 2005. Chelsea are tired, whereas Liverpool should be fresh. An early goal is crucial, it will raise the crowd and the belief of the team, and be a massive blow to Chelsea. If we get our noses ahead, I think it could all be over in the 90 minutes. If Chelsea go ahead, we're in for a nervy night.

Come on the 'pool! :)

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Also there is a certain call for the frenzied zeal of Sissoko over the measured reactions of Mascherano. I know Sissoko can't pass the ball, but Masch was terrible in the first leg, Sissoko would be more disruptive, he would give Chelsea less time on the ball. To be honest, given Alonso's so-so form this season, I would have no problem with him being dropped.

No, I dont think we should go for Sissoko. We need to control as much possession as we can and create chances. Momo is great at breaking up play and is all legs, but is the wrong tool for the job.

We need Alonso and Mascherano to up their game instead. Cover the centre, and let Stevie G get into the more dangerous areas. Finnan and Riise can do some crossing, Kuyt or Bellamy in there buzzing about, Crouch as target man, etc. Arbeloa may still get a game at left back (is Aurelio injured or in the reckoning, he's useful at frees!), so Rafa may pick something like this:

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Agger - Arbeloa
    Gerrard - Alonso - Mascherano - Riise
    Kuyt
    Crouch ----

Benitez hasnt tried it but I would also like to see how we would do in a 4-2-3-1 formation at some point.

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Agger - Riise/Arbeloa
    Alonso - Mascherano ----
    Pennant - Gerrard - Gonzalez/Riise
    Crouch/Kuyt

choices, choices .... no doubt Rafa will surprise us with something, and I'm hoping its a positive one.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Aurelio is out after injuring his achilles against PSV, right? Arbeloa to start at left back, I guess. I think there are more goals in the 4-2-3-1 than the 4-4-2 above.

Sky Sports News reckon Boularhouz will start in defence.

While I think Mascherano could offer a lot more than Sissoko, he certainly didn't in the first leg. At least with Sissoko you know you'll get 100%, and he will piss off whomever he is up against.

Mascherano gave the ball away as much as Sissoko ever did in the first leg.

I'd like to see a 4-5-1 also. Gerrard playing off Crouch. Riise needs to be deployed on the left midfield. He's most effective there, and is always capable of a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

was finnan injured??

Yes, Aurelio is still injured. Squad lists are:

Liverpool squad: Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Pennant, Zenden, Bellamy, Kuyt, Mascherano, Crouch, Dudek, Gonzalez.

Chelsea squad: Cech, A Cole, Makelele, Terry, Essien, Ferreira, Boulahrouz, Shevchenko, Lampard, J Cole, Drogba, Mikel, Geremi, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Diarra, Kalou, Cudicini.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    was finnan injured??

Yes, he had a sore neck. It sounds like he will be 100% fit, so good news, and he is bound to be selected.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hard to make much sensible prediction I'll just hope that everyone is on thier game and that Rafa exploits Chelseas lack of natural width.

Riena
    Finnan--Carra--Agger--Arbaloa
    Masch
    Pennant---Sissoko----Riise
    Gerrard
    Crouch

I would have no problem with Alonso on the bench

Subs Dudek, Hyypia, Alonso, Kewell (;) ), Gonzales, Kuyt, Bellamy,

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if he is playing tonight - i would highly doubt he is on the bench tomorrow mike...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Rafa has occassionally used the wing back formation - I wonder will he be tempted to resurrect it...

Reina

Carra -- Hyppia -- Agger ---
    Finnan
    Mascherano
    Riise
    Gerrard
    Alonso

Crouch
    AN Other----

No way I'd play Sami ahead of Agger in a 4-4-2 defence because we'd be too exposed for pace. But the wingback formation should have us covered. And Sami will be a big threat from set pieces.

I wouldnt play Sissoko ahead of Mascherano. A huge exagerration to say Mascherano gave the ball away in the first leg as often as Momo does on average.

If Zenden plays I'll cry. Although Riise was just as bad as him the last day.

Time for Alonso to put in a very big game. Gerrard will be our main goalscoring threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

redspider wrote:
    Chelsea squad: Cech, A Cole, Makelele, Terry, Essien, Ferreira, Boulahrouz, Shevchenko, Lampard, J Cole, Drogba, Mikel, Geremi, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Diarra, Kalou, Cudicini.

Is this accurate ? If so Carvalho defo out and no Robben either

I was wondering about the 2005 final formation (second half), it might work.

I'm weary of the bbc squad lists (if thats where its from).

Mike.

> Rafa has occassionally used the wing back formation - I wonder will he be tempted to resurrect it

I seriously hope not. We need players going forward, not 3 CB's getting in the way of each other. We are not San Marino trying to keep the score down.

In terms of the squad, that was taken from the RTE website, but its not an official press release from either club, just a summary of the responses/answers given in statements made by the managers/staff to the press, etc. We wont know for certain what the team is until 6.45 - 7.00 tomorrow. No Carvalho and no Robben would certainly help.

Some more positive news .... Rafa is very upbeat in the piece below, and smart, and I agree with everything that he says:
    Rafael Benitez has fuelled his feud with Jose Mourinho by claiming that tinkering with his Chelsea team at the weekend "cost him the league title".

Liverpool boss Benitez has had to listen to Mourinho's suggestion that the Anfield men have been playing "testimonials" for weeks because they have only one trophy to play for.

The Chelsea manager has also been critical of Benitez's decisions to rest players ahead of Liverpool's Champions League clashes.

But now Benitez, ahead of tomorrow's decisive semi-final second leg at Anfield, claims that by trying to do the same in the 2-2 draw against Bolton on Saturday, Mourinho lost Chelsea their coveted Premiership crown.

"It has cost him the league title," Benitez said.

That, believes Benitez, will make the pressure-cooker atmosphere at Stamford Bridge even more difficult for Mourinho to handle.

Benitez even took a sly dig at Mourinho's 'Special One' tag, saying: "We have our special ones here, they are our fans, who always play with their hearts."

He added of Chelsea: "They know the pressure they have, but everyone has their own problems. We want to win this game, we want to finish third and, as for them, I do not need to put them under more pressure because they know full well what pressure they are under to win things.

"They try to win everything - that is enough pressure without me saying anything.

"They know the pressures they are under, you only have to ask Mr Abramovich what he wants, the Champions League or the Premier League. They know.

"It is clear they will be under pressure because they were talking about trophies, trophies, trophies. Maybe they have one less to win now and that makes the Champions League their priority."

Mourinho has also been critical of Liverpool's fans over the past week, but Benitez hit back by saying that, unlike Chelsea, Liverpool do not need to hand out free flags to get their fans in the right mood.

He added: "At Stamford Bridge, we showed that our supporters won their battle, even though Chelsea had their fans all with flags to wave. But our supporters were there with their hearts.

"We do not need to give away flags for our fans to wave - our supporters are always there with their hearts and that is all we need.

"I aim to be concentrating on one competition after the semi-final, and I do not worry whether Chelsea have one or two to think about.

"They will know that Anfield is a difficult place for them. I know they can say it is not a problem and they have experienced it before, but we know it will be a problem for them.

"Our supporters, they are the special ones, that is clear. Chelsea know why."

Two years ago, the Anfield hordes roared their team into the Istanbul final on a memorable night against Chelsea, and Benitez believes they can do it again, with the Merseysiders 1-0 down from the first-leg.

He said: "We can use the memories of two years ago to our advantage because we know what the players and fans can do working together.

"I remember before the game in 2005, the Chelsea players spoke a lot about being ready for the Anfield atmosphere, but when the game was played they could not handle it. It's very difficult for any opposing team to prepare to play against 12 men.

"Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals. I like this about our supporters because we know they will show they are in the best in the world again tomorrow night.

"The players can also use these positive memories. We will go into the game with a lot of confidence, but we know Chelsea are a very good team and we cannot afford to make mistakes.

"They are a team which has been built with a lot of money to win major trophies. They spent a lot of money on [Andriy] Shevchenko and [Michael] Ballack last year because their priority is the Champions League. Now they have more difficulties in the Premiership, it's clear if they're going to win a major trophy, this is the one they want to win."

And Benitez reveals he has spent time working on the mistakes made in the first leg last week at Stamford Bridge.

He said: "We are trying to learn from our mistakes in the first leg, they are very good, but I have confidence because playing with 12 men is a great advantage for us.

"It is no secret we will try to play with a high tempo from the beginning, something we didn't do in the first-leg. If we can keep a high tempo going for 90 minutes, that will be perfect.

"We did not play to our best level in the first leg, that is the key for me.

"If we play to our best, we will win."

His last sentence is particularly apt!

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm gonna stick my neck out and make a guess that we'll see a back 3 tomorrow night

Reina
    Carra
    Hyypia
    Agger
    Finnan--Momo--Alonso--Riise
    Gerrard

Crouch
    Kuyt

This formation can change to a 4-4-2 if necessary and may even start that way but once the game settles down they could go with the attacking formation with SG behind the front 2 just to shake things up.

I think Momo will get the nod over Masch just to get in the face of Lampard more

I don't agree with that last bit, if both Liverpool and Chelsea play to their best, I think Chelsea would win.

Of course, that's not gona happen, it rarely if ever does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redspider wrote:
    Benitez hasnt tried it but I would also like to see how we would do in a 4-2-3-1 formation at some point.

Redspider

He started with that against Boro wednesday before last. Played Sissoko and Masch as the holders, gerrard attacking centrally, pennant and zenden on the wings and crouch up front.

I still think both Crouch and Kuyt will start tomorrow though, especially with Carvalho out. Playing only 1 striker would suit chelsea down to the ground, especially as both kuyt and crouch win a lot in the air. Whoever Terry doesnt mark will get plenty of ball.

According to BBC 5Live earlier Sheva is out as well. Robben is included in the squad which is a bit of a worry.

i think we'll go 4-4-2 with standard back 4, gerrard left/roaming with riise doing plenty of bombing forward behind him, 2 of Alonso Masch and Sissoko in the center, pennant right, kuyt and crouch up front.

Pity about Robben being back, that said he might'nt start and could be 'got at' ;) Sheva is no lose frankly.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone know who the ref is?

Found it, its the spanish guy, Jesus Calvo something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Stekelly wrote:
    Anyone know who the ref is?

Found it, its the spanish guy, Jesus Calvo something.

He reffed the champions league final in 2005.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i think it will be

Reina

-Finnan----Carragher---Agger----Arbeola-

-Gerrard----Alonso----Mascherano--Riise-

Crouch----Kuyt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Is it not Mejuto Gozalez?

If I were a Liverpool fan I would be worried about just how much a team of average players, and an utterly confused manager, is relying on the crowd to get things going for them. Although this crowd seem pretty cocky;

http://www.thisisanfield.com/columnists/2007/04/fans-can-be-the-12th-man-again/

I honestly don't think that the crowd can make thatmuch of a difference here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bateman wrote:
    Is it not Mejuto Gozalez?

If I were a Liverpool fan I would be worried about just how much a team of average players,

So Reina, Carragher, Finnan, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Steven Gerrard, Kuyt and Crouch are average now? Agger showing massive potential though hasnt proved enough yet id still say is above average. Riise the same, does quite well going forward and has a few goals to his name already against Chelsea - not something many "average" players can say. Arbeloa again unproven, hopefully can build and grow into the premiership over time.

To say that group are a team of average players is both silly and insulting.
    and an utterly confused manager
    Im assuming your joking and i just didnt get it or something...otherwise again just being silly.to call the man an "utterly confused manager" after he has been so lauded for winning the champions league and getting to the semi's (so far) in 3 (not to mention too much success at Valencia to go into) at times due massively to tactical nous and cunning is a bit crazy. At least back up your opinion with something. I mean were i to play devils advocate, one could point out the inclusion of Zenden in the last match, but at the same time looking at it coldly and objectively, riise had to play left back (noone else), left mid had to be filled. The options were Zenden and Gonzalez. While i dont rate zenden and feel gonzalez would provide more attacking impetus, this was an away game against one of the best teams in the world, so Zenden was a better choice if stability was the key, making sure first and foremost we wouldnt be caught on that side if at all possible. I would say Rafa is actually very much the opposite of the "utterly confused manager" you claim, i would say he has a very cold logical reason for every decision he makes.

I honestly just dont get comments like this. Is it just to stir up something? Im quite ready to give chelsea all the respect they deserve. i don't see why some people have to resort to childishness..
    Although this crowd seem pretty cocky;

http://www.thisisanfield.com/columnists/2007/04/fans-can-be-the-12th-man-again/

I honestly don't think that the crowd can make thatmuch of a difference here.

I dont follow...those are comments taken from after Liverpool beat Chelsea and qualified for the champions league final 2 years ago..whats that got to do with cockyness for the match tomorrow? Most of those comments are just celebrating the occasion, giving praise to the liverpool team for raising their game, and praising the anfield crowd for getting so behind the players. If anything the fact that so many comments say how much the crowd helped and how the team needed to lift up a level is a mark of respect to Chelsea that this performance and rousing atmosphere was needed to edge past them. You may recall Jose himself afterwards spoke of how incredible the atmosphere was that night. Is that all it takes to win? No, it will take a strong brave performance again, just like what was needed 2 years ago, a performance we know they are capable of and so just have to hope they all play to their full ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is how I would like to see Liverpool line out to start with:

Reina
    Finnan --- Carra --- Agger --- Riise
    Alonso ---- Mascherano ----
    Pennant ---- Gerrard ---- Gonzalez
    Crouch

If Gonzalez is not working out, go with the second striker and stick Pennant on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Well Shevchenko has been ruled out with a 'knee injury' but supposedly he's just been left behind in london for sulking over the fact he was starting on the bench. Could have unsettling effects on the Chelsea team, but I doubt it will tbh.

Chelsea are showing more cracks .....

More good news for Liverpool and again unsettled signs coming from the Chelsea camp.

Seemingly, Shevcenko wasnt selected by Mourinho in the starting 11, so was pissed off as he was replaced by Kalou and he then threw a tizzy. He then claimed after the session that he was injured and has refused to travel! Given that he is Abramovich's right-hand man, this is yet more pressure for Mourinho, and discord he could certainly do without.

With Carvalho more or less confirmed out, and it sounds as if Robben is not starting but is a sub, the Chelsea team will not be at full strength.

Liverpool can feel quietly confident that things are going their way, and they have every chance of turning around this tie to their favour. Its their game of the season and I dont think the players will be found lacking in attitude, effort and approach. Perhaps the best thing is to come out all guns blazing, although making sure the backs stay back so there is no goal on the break.

Its looking good, I'm quietly confident ..... and I think the analysts who last week were predicting Chelsea's inevitable passage through to the final (ie: Brady, Giles, Dunphy) may well be finishing their predictions with that little bit of doubt at the end giving Liverpool a chance at least. Let's see.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

So what's the Chelsea team looking like?
    Czech
    Ferreria - Essein - Terry - Cole
           Diarra - Makelele
    Kallou - Lampard -  J.Cole
              Drogba

That's still pretty strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

The last time we(liverpool) played chelsea in anfield (premiership in January) they were missing terry, we beat them they didnt score and carragher was immense at the back for us....this time they are without carvarhlo (fingers crossed) and i hope we can do the same.:cool: this could be a squeaky bum horrifying game to watch, but im confident liverpool can do it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Liverpool are 5/2 with Paddy Power to qualify for the next round. Get yer money down so lads :p

Yeh, but that time, they were missing Terry and Carvalho, and had Essien and Ferreira in central defence :)

One top class CB will make all the difference.

Robben is fit, I think we could see:

Czech
    --Ferreria--Essien---Terry---Cole-
    Makelele

Mikel
    Lampard----
    --Kallou
    J.Cole---
    Drogba

with Robben to come on as a sub, and tear up Liverpools fullbacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I guess we'll see tonight, whoever goes through will deserve, either Chelsea outclassing Liverpool over the 2 legs, or Liverpool coming back from a 1 goal deficit.

Credit where it's due, Liverpool are certainly the underdogs, But wouldn't we all love to see Chelsea end of with nothing, Utd for the League and Cup, and Liverpool for the CL (I think that would make us all happy)

• Advertisement
Advertisement