Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Chelsea CL semi - 2nd leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Utd for the League and Cup, and Liverpool for the CL (I think that would make us all happy)

Personally I'd rather the treble, but we'll see what happens :)
    I'd rather play Liverpool in the CL final as I think we're more likely to beat them, but then again, I wouldn't want the risk to be honest, because whoever wins it, it will for the next 20 years give them bragging rights. So I'd rather just face Chelsea, worst case scenario, lose to them in the final, and in 5 years time when they are in league 2 after Ambrovimich leaves, it won't really matter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

zabbo wrote:
    (I think that would make us all happy)
    Except, obviously, the Chelsea fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What Chelsea fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

What Chelsea fans?

Ha Ha Ha - funny cause its true :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

What Chelsea fans?
    Well Bateman for a start who tried a bit of trolling earlier in the thread but was spanked down because of the wildly innaccurate tripe that he thought would get a response.

Ballack apparently went back to Germany for an ankle operation without Jose's consent, and Jose now wants him sacked, say football365.com.

All is not well with Chelsea, poor fellas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i can see ET and penos in this one

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

3-1 Chelsea, 4-1 on aggregrate!

As a gooner however I would obviously prefer a victory for the team in red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Jose has been taunting Rafa into playing Crouch as he feels Liverpool will exploit the absence of Carvalho. Is he trying to double bluff Rafa here or what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

1-1 tonight, Chelsea to score to dodgy penalty with minutes to go , when Drogba goes down as Carragher tries to pickpocket him.

Then they can go back to talking about history and let chelsea get on with making theirs !

Go on you blues

growler wrote:
    1-1 tonight, Chelsea to score to dodgy penalty with minutes to go , when Drogba goes down as Carragher tries to pickpocket him.

Then they can go back to talking about history and let chelsea get on with making theirs !

Go on you blues

yea cause Liverpool have nothing to be looking forward to and no longer compete for trophies . . . . didnt win the FA cup last year and the Champions league in 2005, eh no actually, afraid Liverpool are still adding to their already illustrious history my friend.

As for Drogba going down, we all know he doesn't need any excuse for him to hit the deck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Making, buying, what's the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think Chelsea will be under huge pressure tonight, not necessarily from Anfield, the Kop, the fact that the game is a CL semi-final, but their dreams of completing a treble or a double could be in serious jeopardy. Their season could effectively, like Arsenal, come crashing down within in a week (granted they'd still have the FA Cup but that ranks nowhere near the magnitude, at least on a global level, of the CL) Ironically, like Liverpool as Mourinho reminded everyone, they're really only fighting for one trophy.

No-one expected them to slip up against Bolton at home, but they did. Missing key figures such as Carvalho, Ballack and, to a lesser extent, Shevchenko, they could well be up against it - especially seeing as Essien is playing centre-back, Kuyt could be a handful for him. If Liverpool get in amongst them from the off, rough them up a bit nd score an early goal, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ok now that we are back on track after some silly insults lets look at what the thread is about. Personally I can see a 1-1 draw and a pretty dour first half. Livening up in the second as liverpool have to go for it. Liverpool constantly go on about the 2-0 win earlier in the seaseon. Yes but with Essien adn Ferrera at center back and Cech back in his first game since that injury.

Now Cech is back to his best and JT is also back. Will be a tough and very edgy game. Still anyones but I fancy a 1-1 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Chelsea dominated Liverpool in the first leg. I expect the same this time around.

• Advertisement

Dont think Cech at his best would have made any difference to the result at Anfield. Obviously a different defensive partnership might have, but who knows?
    Personally, I think JT hasn't been himself since returning from injury, I think if Crouch/Bellamy/Kuyt can mix it up tonight, there will definately be goals to be had. I think key will be to not concede, which of course will be difficult.

Think it can definately be done, cannot wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i hope chelsea win tonight, because i hope united win tomorrow.

There WILL be trouble in Greece if it is a United vs Liverpool final, too much bad blood has built up between the two clubs, especially over the last couple of seasons, for a game that big to go off without trouble. Athens would be full of drunken United and Liverpool fans for a couple of days.

I would imagine there would be trouble between United and Chelsea fans too, but a lot less then i think there would between United and Liverpool.

Considering the history of both United and Liverpool, it would be a great propective final, and you would hope for it to be a classic on all fronts, but i just can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I reckon Robben, Joe Cole and Drogba will be a handful for the pool tonight, key part of the game will be containing them. Hoping we can pull through with an early goal from Crouchie and then push for a second rather than go into extra-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tauren wrote:
    i hope chelsea win tonight, because i hope united win tomorrow.

There WILL be trouble in Greece if it is a United vs Liverpool final, too much bad blood has built up between the two clubs, especially over the last couple of seasons, for a game that big to go off without trouble. Athens would be full of drunken United and Liverpool fans for a couple of days.

I would imagine there would be trouble between United and Chelsea fans too, but a lot less then i think there would between United and Liverpool.

Considering the history of both United and Liverpool, it would be a great propective final, and you would hope for it to be a classic on all fronts, but i just can't see it.

In fairness, it seems to be ManU with the obsession on Liverpool, singing derogatory songs about Liverpool in most games, boo'ing opposition teams etc., while there are bad apple supporters with both clubs, ManU fans seem have more interest in causing trouble, personally I rather play Milan, to equal their 6 times !

On the game tonight, I think Chelsea might be too much and get a goal, but with Liverpool in Europe, who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Liverpool to win 3-0 tonight, Chelsea going out with a whimper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

zabbo wrote:
    In fairness, it seems to be ManU with the obsession on Liverpool, singing derogatory songs about Liverpool in most games, boo'ing opposition teams etc., while there are bad apple supporters with both clubs, ManU fans seem have more interest in causing trouble, personally I rather play Milan, to equal their 6 times !

On the game tonight, I think Chelsea might be too much and get a goal, but with Liverpool in Europe, who knows.
    Utter rubbish, but i don't want to start flinging crap in this thread, cause it wouldn't be nice. I deliberately left out any reference to EITHER set of supporters actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tauren wrote:
    Utter rubbish, but i don't want to start flinging crap in this thread, cause it wouldn't be nice. I deliberately left out any reference to EITHER set of supporters actions.

It's not rubbish. No matter who United are playing they're singing about Liverpool.

As for tonight? It's impossible to predict, so I'll go for Liverpool 3-1 Chelsea just because I've a nagging feeling about that scoreline. If Liverpool do go through, I expect them to meet Milan in the final.

Don't rule out a few surprises from Benitez tonight either. I wouldn't be surprised if Kuyt, Bellamy and Crouch all started and Kewell could claim a place on the bench after turning out for the reserves on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Ironically, like Liverpool as Mourinho reminded everyone, they're really only fighting for one trophy.

Brilliant logic - out of 4 trophies available at start of season Cheslea have already won the first (and admittingly the least of the 4) and they are in the final of the another which you apparently have dismissed (seem to rememebr a lot of posts here though when liverpool won the same cup last year though... funny that). Until Utd actually win the league Chelsea will keep fighting (though I realise that perhaps the concept of still being in contention for the premier league after March may be unfamiliar to you), plus of course they are still in the Champions league (which obviously must count as so are liverpool). But stiil - don't let the facts get in the way of a crap post.

As for tonight - very close to call - if Liverpool play as poorly as they did last Wednesday then Chelsea will be in the final - gut feeling is a Liverpool to win on the night but i think that they will pay for not scoring the away goal and Chelsea to progress thanks to an away goal of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Liverpool to win 3-0 tonight, Chelsea going out with a whimper.

As much as I dare dream about it...can I have what you're smoking? :v:

'Pool win on the night, Pepe to save from Dogba and Lamps in the shootout.

Finnan to score the winning penalty.

SCULLY wrote:
    Brilliant logic - out of 4 trophies available at start of season Cheslea have already won the first (and admittingly the least of the 4) and they are in the final of the another which you apparently have dismissed (seem to rememebr a lot of posts here though when liverpool won the same cup last year though... funny that). Until Utd actually win the league Chelsea will keep fighting (though I realise that perhaps the concept of still being in contention for the premier league after March may be unfamiliar to you), plus of course they are still in the Champions league (which obviously must count as so are liverpool). But stiil - don't let the facts get in the way of a crap post.

If you paid any attnetion to my post you would have noticed that, in fact, I never dismissed the FA Cup, just mentioned that it is not as important to Chelsea as the CL final.

The league is all but won after last weekend's results. Sure, they'll keep on fighting but they knew after the match they had blown it. Did you see their faces? Did you see Murinho's sheepish interview after the game? (as for the witty "though I realise that perhaps the concept of still being in contention for the premier league after March may be unfamiliar to you"...I'm not a Pool fan, a bit over assertive there, mate)

Yes they are still in the CL. The point, initially (seems lost beneath that tide of garbage you posted), was that Chelsea are in danger of being knocked out and that their quadruple aspirations may come crumbling down within a week (granted they are in the FA Cup)

Can we not drag this thread into handbags and instead actually talk about the match tonight?

Apologies, Liverpool to win AET :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If Liverpool are to go through its going to require big games from Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard and pretty much all of the defence. Liverpool need to score early but at the same time they need to be tight at the back... its going to be a nervy evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I had a dream last night that Liverpool won 17-1, which is weird consider I never dream about football. Tbh I think Liverpool will win 2-1, with Chelsea getting their away goal near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

have a feeling it will be 2-1 to pool untill the last minute and then either a Gerrard or Riise thunderbolt to make it the all important 3. Or Maybe 1-0 and penalties..

god winning 2-0 and losing a last minute away goal would be the most heartbreaking thing ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Prediction:

I can't see anything past Chelsea going through here. I think it'd take a titanic performance from Liverpool to get through.

Chelsea's problems this year have been with them trying to fit too many players in the same position in, this isn't the case tonight.

Now that Robben is looking likely to play, I think a team of

Czech
    --Ferreria--Essien---Terry---Cole-
    Makelele

Mikel
    Lampard----
    --J. Cole
    Robben--
    Drogba

Is pretty much better than Liverpool in almost every department. I think nearly all the individual battles will go Chelsea's way.

I think Robben will be better than Finnan.
    Joe Cole better than Riise.
    Drogba better than Agger and Carragher.
    Lampard better than Mascherano
    Alonso better than Mikel
    Makekele a match for Gerrard
    Essien and Terry a match for Crouch/Bellamy/Kuyt
    Cole a match for Pennant/Zenden/Whoever
    Ferriera a match for Gonzalez/Riise/Whoever

I can see Rafa going the way of a 4-4-1-1, and just hoping that Gerrard gets them through the game, as that will be the only way they could win it in that formation. It will require something special from Gerrard, and he hasn't been known to be able to best Makelele that impressively.

Chelsea to be in Athens.

p.s. I think it'll be a boring as hell game for anybody but Liverpool or Chelsea fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yep, have to agree, will be very surprised if Chelsea don't score tonight(Unless its 0-0 and they're sitting back) Liverpool are really up against it and as PHB has said it will take a titanic performance to get through to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Nephew wrote:
    I had a dream last night that Liverpool won 17-1, which is weird consider I never dream about football. Tbh I think Liverpool will win 2-1, with Chelsea getting their away goal near the end.

I dreamt last week it'd be an 8-8 draw with Chelsea going through on away goals.

Can't see it being that high but I'm pretty sure that'll be the eventual outcome nonetheless :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, the titanic effort is being well prepared as we speak. The players know what they have to do, and they have the capacity to do it.

I think Rafa may as well bite the bullet and ask them to go at it like hammer and tongs from the start at least for the 1st 20 mins, then take a breather perhaps to assess. Granted the 'tactic' of going 3-0 down in the CL final eventually worked, but lets do it this time from 1-0 down instead!

Paul Tomkins (the columnist) is nervy, as are many in Liverpool, but its a night for calm heads, calm legs and hearts, at times. The key for Liverpool will be not to get too far sucked up the field and get caught on a breakout. So the full backs need to be aware of that at all times in their attempts to supprt the attack. The away goal wouldnt be the end of the fight, but it would turn a balanced tie into a mountain.

I'm quitely confident .... and I think it will be a good game, irregardless of what happens, and Liverpool players will do themselves proud, trying their guts out and giving their all, like the fans, if nothing else.

> Jose has been taunting Rafa into playing Crouch

The good news is that Rafa doesnt listen to what Mourinho says. This has peeved Jose off. He was in a foul mood in recent press conferences. All good news for Liverpool. No-one cares what Jose is saying, no-one is istening to his "special" rants. And I think this is coming across more and more from fellow managers, etc, neutral managers, Alex Ferguson, football pundits and even the media where recent press conferences have been fraught with anxiety and anger rather than fun - he has spoken too much sh.ite over the years - end of.

3 hours to go and counting .....

The team sheets will make interesting reading. Lets hope there are no mistakes/surprises from a Liverpool perspective .... and everyone is fit.
    In Rafa we trust .... well, we have to!

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I agree with pretty much all of PHB's post, except I think Kalou will play instead of Robben.
    I think Chelsea will be good enough for the draw.

Although Chelsea are under, I'd say, more pressure than Liverpool...they looked at bit dejected after the Bolton game, it all depends on whether Chelsea are AS up or the game as Liverpool. In which case they'll win. But a rubbish contested goal in the first five minutes would make it interesting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im bracing myself for a very boring game with very few goals. Since I have a bet on under 2.5 goals that will do me nicely :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I would love to be confident, but I can't help but feel that Chelsea will score at some point and that will be that. if it does happen though I hope pool are either 1 or 2 up at the time and have 20 mins plus to pull something out.

I am getting butterflies already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Gerrard is injured.

Can't reveal my source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Match Officials .....

Referee
    Manuel Mejuto González (ESP)
    Assistant referee
    Juan Carlos Yuste Jiménez (ESP) Jesus Calvo Guadamuro (ESP)
    Fourth official
    Alberto Undiano Mallenco (ESP)
    UEFA Referee observer
    Pierluigi Collina (ITA)

The Spanish may be on Liverpool's side ..... not that we need help, but every little bit helps, whether it is a 'blind eye' or whatever. If I was Chelsea, I wouldnt be too happy with that selection of officials in terms of their nationality.

Probable Teams, according to Uefa.com:

Probable teams
    Liverpool: Pepe Reina; Steve Finnan, Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger, Álvaro Arbeloa; Steven Gerrard, Javier Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, John Arne Riise; Peter Crouch, Dirk Kuyt.

Chelsea: Petr Čech; Paulo Ferreira, Michael Essien, John Terry, Ashley Cole; John Obi Mikel, Claude Makelele, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole; Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Actually, even though I predicted Chelsea to win, I really hope it's the contrary. I can't stand Mourinho anymore, and all his comments and jibes this season, culminating in the comments about Ronaldo's background have been out of line. He doesn't seem to have any respect for anyone anymore. I hope Liverpool dump them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

I hope Liverpool dump them out.

K*o* J**k*y :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

COME ON YOU REDMEN

time to head for the pub me thinks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

with only the interweb to guide me, how am I going to follow this game, and get a feel for it.

BBC is to slow and factual, livescore is a bit surgical!

Guardian website is sometimes ok

rte are streaming it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd assume he's not in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keep fivelive on for the team news or www.redandwhitekop.com

Please play Crouch and some actual wingers Rafa! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Nephew wrote:
    rte are streaming it

that ought to do the trick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Riise; Pennant, Gerrard, Mascherano, Zenden, Kuyt, Crouch

zabbo wrote:
    I'd assume he's not in Ireland.

For those not in Ireland, google footballon. Believe me its worth it

• Advertisement
Advertisement