Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Chelsea CL semi - 2nd leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

copacetic wrote:
    actually at the moment liverpool are favourites to win. check any bookies.

your points are all about how great milan and chelsea are but the first leg was full of terrible defending and schoolboy errors. I'm not that impressed by such 'beautiful' football. It was a question of whose defense was worse than the others not who had the better attack. There was no 'magic' there was just crap defending.

ideally there would be a middle ground between tonights display of defending and a more free flowing game, but watching utds defenders falling over themselves to let kaka score didn't make me think 'oh this is what the beautiful game is all about'
    ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

if tactics shouldnt win a trophy whats the point in having managers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

:D:D:D:D:D Hahahahahhahahahaha. So many bitters. This really hurts you doesn't it? Waaaaah! They didn't play pretty! Waaaaah! They shouldn't be allowed in! Waaaah, they had an easy draw.

So that's the English Champions and the Spanish Champions - who are also the European Cup holders - but of course, it's all a fluke. Keep talking it up lads, you were singing the same tune in 2005 after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote:
    Penos, anyone's guess.

I love the way that Dunphy thinks he can predict it, when the entire world knows, it's a crapshoot

I thought that goal was onside personally, and to be honest, Kuyt should have put it away at the end.

Ironically, I read some of your posts in this thread and Dunphy got considerably more correct than you did. He was bang on the money regarding the penalties too.

I would also agree that it was onside.

Job well done and really looking forward to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

smemon wrote:
    But you must ask yourself why are liverpool 3rd in the league if they are the best side in europe. That's my point.

Did somebody say Liverpool are the best side in Europe? Cause i certainly dont think i saw any pool fans saying it, and i certainly dont believe it myself, BUT Liverpool are a team good enough that, on their day, they CAN beat any team in the world. Theres not a lot between them, but when the whole team lifts itself to the highest level, they're a match for anyone, just like all the top teams are for each other.

Its the consistancy of the long haul that liverpool are lacking. I actually cant believe you said you dont think Liverpool will ever breach that gap to the top (which is Man U right now, who finished 1 solitary point over Pool last year).

I agree that right now, both Man U and Chelsea are better teams all round, as they have the players who can pull it out of the bag in the wind and rain away at Bolton (that example always seems to be used - i really pity the bolton players!). Obviously with a bit more money, a few more match winners who can get something from nothing can come in. Players of the quality of Robben, Joe Cole, Ballack, Sheva, Ronaldo, Rooney, Gigs. Thats the only thing liverpool need to step up. Having a few players any of whom can take a game by the scruff of the neck, when the team isnt porforming. Simao would be a great addition imo, a leader of a man who can pull somethin out and raise performances with his own actions. Right now the only one of those we have really is Gerrard. In 2 years i could see a real challenge to the top, i think next year will be an improvement, with 1 or 2 quality additions, but will come too soon for a real title push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Got to admit to being a little bit disappointed after tonight ..... for Fowler. He was clearly brought on for penalties and was most likely to be our 5th penalty taker only to be denied that opportunity. Would have been magic to see him secure our place in the final.

COME ON YOU REDMEN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

terrible match but should make for a more interesting final. Especially if United get through. There will be war in the pubs never mind in Athens!

It would be the biggest club match for 10 years IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

jank wrote:
    It would be the biggest club match for 10 years IMO
    perhaps on par with the Juve Milan final of 2003 or the Barca Real semi of 2002, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I'd prefer to see a Milan vs Liverpool final.

Milan need revenge.

I'd prefer to see a Milan vs Liverpool final.

Milan need revenge.

Not sure what I want to be honest. I don't think I could cope watching a United and Liverpool final.. I also firmly believe that United are a better team than Milan. Mind you, the joy of beating United in the final is nearly too much to give up, regardless of the consequences of loosing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    But at this level you *should* also need a bit of magic to win a match. I didn't see that tonight or over the two legs. It was tactics that won it.

Oh lord. Can i ask what bit of magic i got to see during the United vs Milan match?

Was it Dida shoulders the ball up into the air, and then pushing the ball into his own net? A true display of skill right there.

Or maybe it was Heinze and Evra running into each other? Thats the sort of style only Laurel and Hardy could pull off.

Th only bit of skill for the goals was scholes through ball for the 2nd. The 3rd was even more comical actions from Dida.

Honestly, it seems united fans only memory is of the match against Roma.

It also seems that alot of fourmites just like to see goals, no matter how they come about. They have no interest in seeing skillful defending or any sort of defending, they just want too see goals and lots of them. Alot like me when i was in 6th class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

tactics go out the window on the football pitch.

it's 11-v-11, i suppose benetiz planned for a 1-0 defeat in the first leg :rolleyes: Tactics do not win matches, players do.

Moments of magic, at this level, should win matches. Larsson against arsenal last year - carved them open. Zidane in the final on the volley a few years back..

You cannot plan for that - make it happen or defend it - it just happens.. naturally. And that's where good players and great players are seperated.

If defenders make mistakes, the attacker must be in the right place and alert, plus beat the keeper, so the arguement the milan/utd result was down purely to defensive errors is weak.

Milan's second goal and Utd's 2nd and 3rd weren't exactly run of the mill goals - they were quality, class, 'moments of magic' that we expect at this level. They weren't tactical goals.

As for who are favourites to win the champions league, obviously liverpool are as they are in the final :rolleyes: utd/milan still have to play. But once we get a winner, liverpool will be the underdogs imo.

Realistically, i can see chelsea, utd and liverpool all winning 1/3 of the treble.

Chelsea will be hurt from this, so they will go all out for the FA cup against Utd. Utd have the league wrapped up and have the fa cup and possibly champions league to focus on, whilst liverpool just have the Champions League.

From a hunger point of view, i can see Utd winning the league, chelsea winning the cup and liverpool winning the champions league - obviously i don't want that to happen though :)

The prospect of another treble, getting mourinho sacked after an Fa cup defeat, capping it all off against liverpool in the CL would certainly go down as the greatest day in utd's history. So from a player's perspective, that's the motivation for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

smemon wrote:
    The question is a rhetorical one. The answer is that the best side in europe should be able to win their own domestic league or at least challenge for it.

Liverpool have yet to do that and i doubt anyone would give them a chance at topping chelsea or utd next year, even if they win the champions league.

I'm not trying to kick-start an all out war, it's my opinion and thankfully a few others are starting to agree.

Over the two legs, you cannot tell me Liverpool are favourites to win the champions league. The favourites will be Milan or Utd, simply because they deserve that tag for the manner in which they have played.

Style, penetration, class, open football are how those two sides play. Neutrals prefer that. Football people prefer that. It is better for the game to play that way.. as ultimately it attracts players, it attracts audiences which pull in advertsing revenue, which fund clubs..

You need work-rate. But at this level you *should* also need a bit of magic to win a match. I didn't see that tonight or over the two legs. It was tactics that won it.

Tactics should only get you so far.. not to finals and trophies.. but then again, look at Greece in the euro's. Work-rate is sometimes rewarded at this level, but it shouldn't be unless it's combined with intelligence imo.
    Well said.
    I think only Liverpool supporters will be cheering for Liverpool in the final.
    Every neutral will be supporting either Milan or Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

mike65 and cardshark202 banned.

When I give a warning I'm not joking.

smemon, you're dicing with a ban.

Start a new thread if you want to talk about anything other than the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A second european final in 3 years, great stuff!
    Knocking out Barcelona and Chelsea with solid team performances.
    Chelsea's only plan tonight was to hoof it up to Drogba.
    Half the time it was Carragher battling with him with the other three lazy
    pricks looking on. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, i must say i was surprised at the result. i truely thought chelsea would drive on at liverpool and play their usual composed game. but it didnt seem to be that.
    and although, i did want a chelsea milan final, a liverpool milan final would be just fine. actually, im not too bothered by who gets there, as long as the football is entertaining :)

and for whoever said that tactics dont win trophies, then i suggest you go and apply for the irish managers job. the FAI appear to have the same opinion :)

i think most of us would agree that tactics can and do win. greece in the euros a few years back proved that. they had a tactic which was defend, act as a team unit, and try and counter attack at least once a match. amazing how it worked against better teams, but there you go. the power of the tactic :)
    i do think murinho is correct though. chelsea were the better side. but it doesnt really matter if you lose at the end of it. well done the pool, and good luck in the final.

Agree with most of your post WWM but I honestly have no idea how some posters are off the opinion that Chelsea were the better team. But sure, I guess ye are allowed your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

absolute legends!! Agger you beauty !!! what a night I'm still buzzing and will be for a long time - :D:D LOVE THE 'POOL

So many Haters are eating their words today, I was going to quote some, but couldnt be bothered!!!! LOL we're in the FACKIN FINAL!!

I'll never forget that win..

GO TEAM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

What a penalty by useless Bolo to get things going!! Vlad Smicer reincarnate!

That was as tense a football match as I've ever seen. Every Liverpool player gave their all.
    Mind you, the joy of beating United in the final is nearly too much to give up, regardless of the consequences of loosing
    The pain of losing to United in the final would be too much, regardless of the consequences of winning!

Liverpool v United would be some occassion though. And AC Milan certainly do owe us a beating after 2005 - but I dont think Milan 2007 is as good as Milan 2005.

At least we're there! And so will Harry Kewell :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

smemon wrote:
    But you must ask yourself why are liverpool 3rd in the league if they are the best side in europe. That's my point.
    p.pete wrote:
    Your point is a question?
    smemon wrote:
    The question is a rhetorical one. The answer is...
    I see, your point isn't a question, but a rhetorical question (with an answer), do I have that right now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Apparently Harrys on fire at the moment made two goals the other night, against everton reserves, l'm looking forward to him coming back.

King Harry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Apparently Harrys on fire at the moment made two goals the other night, against everton reserves, l'm looking forward to him coming back.

King Harry

ah flip u, u beat me too it, but would you drop zenden after that inspiring performance?? :confused:
    such an energy sapping match to watch, i have to say, liverpool have been critisised in the past for not playing football, being boring etc, but we played any of the football that was played in anfield. Chelsea were overwhelmed in midfield for most of the match despite us having zenden and stevie g who could barely walk during extra time!! Reina had a great game, he saved us earlier (round 85th minute) from drogba running on to a through ball. and kyut never stopped working the whole game, when bellemy came on he kyut was still out-performing him in work rate!!!

oh and frank lampard will defiently be off to barca :D

bring on the final, both teams have history and reasons to beat us so it should be another endurance tester!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I don't understand how anyone can say that Chelsea were the better team in that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ironically, I read some of your posts in this thread and Dunphy got considerably more correct than you did. He was bang on the money regarding the penalties too.

It's penos, he had a 50/50 shot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

PHB wrote:
    It's penos, he had a 50/50 shot :)

i thought he said liverpool would win on penalties....then said chelsea HAD to win to save morhiniho his job, so he covered himself in both cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tusky wrote:
    I don't understand how anyone can say that Chelsea were the better team in that match.
    I don't think they meant in that match, I think they meant over the 2 legs, however it doesn't matter now as Liverpool are through to the final and well done to them.

What I don't get is how people can say that the match was boring. It certainly wasn't silky smooth free flowing football but it was gripping stuff and extremely tense to watch.

There was also people complaining that the Utd./Milan match was boring too. Comments like that actually confuse me as to what people actually want from a football match. The two matches were entertaining for completely different reasons and that imo is the beauty of football.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What I don't get is how people can say that the match was boring. It certainly wasn't silky smooth free flowing football but it was gripping stuff and extremely tense to watch.

There was also people complaining that the Utd./Milan match was boring too. Comments like that actually confuse me as to what people actually want from a football match. The two matches were entertaining for completely different reasons and that imo is the beauty of football.
    Today 09:12

What he said ^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea (Liv win 4-1 on pens AET)

Well, well, well. Liverpool through to another CL final. At least Liverpool showed up many of the doubters that had written them off pre-match, many on here it has to be said. Liverpool have made it through, and deservedly so .... BUT, I dont think any Liverpool fan, or indeed player, will be over enamoured with the footballing performance.

The game was a tense, nervy, battling affair, and it was not good football, it has to be said. One caveman called it caveman football, and he would probably know (;-) ). Liverpool, whilst statistically having a lot of posession statistically, just kept giving the ball away, and Chelsea as well. There was a lot of what I call turnover. The quality of the football was poor I thought and the game ticked over with few open chances being created.

Much was made of Zenden's inclusion again and I think it was a repeated mistake, as he played more or less the same and was equally as ineffective. The good news for Liverpool was that there was some spark down the right hand side with Pennant, also aided by Finnan and Gerrard more on the right centre. Gerrard in the middle did well, and whilst Mascherano did well getting himself about, he doesnt have it in the creative stakes.

Agger did a good job on Drogba, and I'm glad that his 'crying jibe' from the first match afforded him the last laugh. he shouldnt have got booked as tere were far worst tackles. The ref was particularly shyof yellow cards, it has to be said. Carra was immense as always, he ran himself into the ground, cramping at the end, and how did he knock that one over the bar from 3-4 yards out?!?! Brilliant.

Liverpool created the most chances in this match and deserved to go through. The header off the woodwork, and the 'offside' goal from Kuyt. Reina saved the day on a couple of occasions as well so it was not one-way traffic. Only delusionals think that Chelsea were the better team on the night.

There was some solid work by Finnan too. Riise wasnt that great to be honest and just kicked everything away within his sight. Crouch worked his socks off, being the target man and trying link-ups with Kuyt that invariably failed. I did spot on one occasion where his lack of technique led to Makelele beating him for a header!

Chelsea were very dissapointing. They played very negatively and in Mikel and Kalou, they are missing creative skills. A great setup for defending a 1-0 lead in a tie, but then at 1-1 aggregate, what did Chelsea have to offer then? Not much. Drogba was fighting a losing battle on his own up front. He sorely missed a Shevcenko.

I thought that when Robben came on with 15 mins to go, like him or lump him, but he was the most dangerous creative force on the pitch, and if he would have played the full 90, I think they would have been more dangerous.

Alonso did well when he came on, and slotted that penalty. He's a quiet chap personality-wise but he is a player with so much potential. I think sports psychology, indeed any type of psychology would really help him.

It was a tense match, and the penalties at the end made it somewhat of a lottery but that's the way these things are settled and I felt after the 90 mins that Liverpool would get through during Extra Time and penalties.

In terms of surprise, I was not overly surprised, in comparison with 2005. A lot of the Liverpool players have already been there so they were up for it too. But it was still a stange match as Liverpool did not go out all guns blazing and were just huffing and puffing for most of it. The training ground free kick goal from Agger worked as treat and was the deserved break that Liverpool were looking for. Now, I think a Milan final would suit Liverpool's pscyhe much better, but of course we will take anyone and will fear no-one.

I felt really sorry for Petr Cech. He is definitely not as good as he was pre his knee-to-head injury, and evidence of that were the saves he was making when pushing the ball pack into the centre and path of oncoming stikers. He has a dream to win the CL, and was under immense pressure to do well. That just didnt help him and he was nervous before the penalties, unlike Reina who was calm, and Dudek-like! Reina may be dodgy on crosses, free's, etc, but he is good at penalties. Then Cech had to save the last two penalties to keep Chelsea in it, a very tall order, too tall. I felt sorry for the chap as he is a decent guy. Even the Ref went over to console him at the end. Terry was fairly magnaminous, along with Lampard with their buddy Stevie G at the end.

So, overall, well done Liverpool. Its hard to believe that we are in another CL final, and whilst the way of getting there last night was far from glorious, come what may on May 23rd, this has been another unbelievable journey.

Redspider

psi> Mike65 .... banned
    Aww. Is that for posting 24,000 times or for repeatedly being fixated by Kewell? Either way, I hope Mike is allowed back in soon! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

1. On Dunphy's peno predictions - he was 100% right, he called the fact that Reina had a record, he said Chelsea didn't have many players to take them apart from Lampard.

2. On the match overall, it was tense and tight, at times end to end, hard tackles flying in - it was a great "man's" match, full of heart. Anyone who found it boring, that's fair enough, you prefer a more technical match - I can appreciate both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well said.
    I think only Liverpool supporters will be cheering for Liverpool in the final.
    Every neutral will be supporting either Milan or Utd.

Neutrals supporting United? I think you severly underestimate the intense dislike that still exists for them. ABUs anyone?

Anyway, regardless of who it is in the final, I've got a good feeling about this......

On the clearance that Carra made from about 2 inches away from his goal line, did he do something similar in the final in 2005?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

What an unbelievably tense match that was. I was in my sister's (who's a Chelsea fan) and I was driving so I couldn't even drink! I was quite confident when it went to peno's that Pepe would do the business and I think the pool were the better team on the night. But over the two legs it was very tight between both teams. Athens here we come:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

BaZmO* wrote:
    On the clearance that Carra made from about 2 inches away from his goal line, did he do something similar in the final in 2005?

He made several last ditch tackles when he was in bits with cramp but I don't remember a clearance like that one. Traore cleared off the line from Crespo late on though:confused: Maybe you're thinking of the double save from Dudek that went straight up in the air and over the bar from Shevchenko?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Beautiful to see pride passion and team work at the highest level no matter who you support. One team played for his team mate beside him and they won.

The game needs matches like this so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Neutrals supporting United? I think you severly underestimate the intense dislike that still exists for them. ABUs anyone?
    In my opinion, that "intense dislike" only comes from supporters of rival teams.

• Advertisement

Shred wrote:
    He made several last ditch tackles when he was in bits with cramp but I don't remember a clearance like that one. Traore cleared off the line from Crespo late on though:confused: Maybe you're thinking of the double save from Dudek that went straight up in the air and over the bar from Shevchenko?
    I can't remember tbh, but one thing is for certain, over the next 3 weeks there'll be plenty of clips from 2005 doing the rounds to jog my memory. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Undoubtedtly the most excited I have been about a non Ireland game since 2005. Absoloutely gripping stuff, the biting from some people about the quality is truly unbelieveable. Chelsea were the poorer team on the night yet they had some very close chances. Liverpool deserved to win by 3 imo, and probably would have against a keeper of lower ability than the lethal Cech. If that type of heart stopping cliff-hangerism isnt what you want to see gwan with ya. Unlike their previous last minute jobs, Chelsea seemed to want to take the game to extra time. Unfortunately for them they were the most physically tired looking team in the third half, but I think they reckoned they could take them on penalties (I myself thought Cech could end it all). Lampard had a woeful match, the commentators nearly had more mentions of the refs name than his. Where was he? Crouch was a bit tired and all, Im not sure hes got over that head knock yet tbh. Hats off to Finnan, he was everywhere last night, real pain in the hole for Chelsea.

Have to disagree on Kuyts header. Dont think it was going in anyway, in my view even if the ball had went below the bar Cechs hand was positioned to deflect. re his goal, how feckin long did they take to rule it out? When it went in I gave a cautious cheer, I thought myself it would be disallowed, but it seemed to go on for 5 seconds after, by that point Id managed to jump, cheer and find my Man U mates number on the book before the whistle blew:confused: Have to say I wasnt massively impressed by Kuyts overall form last night.

Still, its bittersweet. Ill be sad to see Mourhinio (probably) go. I liked his "the world hates us, the world can go **** itself" attitude, he had balls and character. Near impossibility with what, 3 games left barring Man U picking up some awful injury run on Saturday and losing their following two (injury chances which have been somewhat lessened after the departure of Crazy Joe Barton :D )but Id love to see him come from 5 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think it was in 2005 that Carragher had cut out a low cross with a sliding interception right at the near post. And then couldn't get up from the cramp :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

were it any other team than Liverpool, than Milan or Manu would fancy themselves if they got to the final based on the performances so far.

However, whoever gets to the final, it's definitely going to be a 50/50 game as to who wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

PHB wrote:
    If Liverpool score, it will still be advantage Chelsea.
    Basically, I can't see Chelsea not scoring.
    Drogba will dominate Agger and Carragher again.
    IMO, it's huge advantage Chelsea.
    Not saying Liverpool can't win it, but I think it'll require a big effort.

Ah, its not easy being a pundit !

Not picking on you PHB, but just using your expectations as an example of many of those on this thread (and indee elsewhere, especially the media) that predicted that Chelsea were more or less a shoe-in given they would score an away goal and no way would Liverpool score 3 .....

Its a funny old game ....

Redspider

• Advertisement

In reality, whoever gets to the final, it's always going to be a good chance for both teams. Even last year when it was clear that Barca were a much superior team, Arsenal could have won the thing. It's a cup final, anything can happen.
    p.s. I think the winner of United Milan will fancy themselves over Liverpool as much as anyone, just like Liverpool will fancy themselves over Milan or United.

It's much of a muchness at this stage.

---

Not picking on you PHB, but just using your expectations as an example of many of those on this thread (and indee elsewhere, especially the media) that predicted that Chelsea were more or less a shoe-in given they would score an away goal and no way would Liverpool score 3 .....

Redspider

And as I said, I didn't say Liverpool couldn't win it, but it required a titanic performance, a performance they gave. They played out of their skins, got the draw that they needed, and won on penos.

It was huge advantage Chelsea. I'm still suprised Chelsea didn't score, although after seeing the way they set themselves out, it's not as suprising. If I had have realised that Mourinho was going to be so damm defensive, it would have been a different story. Like, he didn't bring on Robben or SWP until late late in the game. I do fully believe, that if Chelsea had played the attacking game, they would have gotten the goal. I guess Mourinho figured, like everybody else on this board figured, including most liverpool fans, that Drogba would dominate Agger again, and that they'd get the goal without playing defensive. Agger surprised everyone though.

It is a funny old game :)

---

p.s. After that game, anyone else think that maybe Makelele is beginning to get old?

redspider wrote:

Redspider
    It's a bit pointless quoting what people predicted before a match as the only evidence they have to make their predictions is what has gone before and the evidence suggested that Chelsea would be too much for Liverpool.
    And PHB actually said that it would take a big effort from Liverpool to go through.....was last night not a big effort?

For what it's worth though, I actually predicted penos, pity I didn't put my money where my mouth was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

BaZmO* wrote:
    I think it's Chelsea's to lose tbh. I'd be surprised if they didn't go through although I have a sneaking suspicion that Liverpool will get the 1-0 result and it'll go to penos.
    Yep indeed you did. Good call. By the way whats your sneaking suspicion for tonight. Please God its not Milan.

Pighead wrote:
    Yep indeed you did. Good call. By the way whats your sneaking suspicion for tonight. Please God its not Milan.
    I really don't know tbh. It really depends how Utd. approach the match. I'd very wary if they tried to sit back and invite Milan onto them because I don't think that they could soak up that must pressure without conceding. But on the other hand it would be suicidal for them to start the match all gung ho going all out at the Milan defense as they'd be severely punished. I think it's gonna be a real cagey affair. One thing I'm certain of is that Utd. will score...

Who says it's just supporters who are petty :)

From Rick Parry
    "I don't care what he says, I don't listen," Parry told Radio Five Live.

"I guess when you've invested £500m it's a fantastic season to win the League Cup."

Quality :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

And Gerrard's post match interview - "two finals in three years isn't bad, is it?" (in response to Mourinho's jibing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

if Utd do get through, liverpool will have a huge advantage in that Utd still have to wrap up the league and FA Cup and hence field full strength sides and really go for it. So Utd the be the more drained and could perhaps pick up one or two more injuries.

Liverpool can just put their feet up until the final now and wrap carragher in cotton wool as they've nothing else to play for.

Looking at the two legs, i don't think Milan or Utd will be fearing liverpool unlike say Real Madrid of a few years ago. If milan get through, i'd have my money on them simply because of the revenge and all that.

If utd get through, it's a tough one. If utd have a full defence available, and a suspension and injury free attack, i can't see them not scoring and that means liverpool would have to score twice, which is more difficult for them to do than it is Utd.

But as liverpool proved before, on the day, miracles can happen and you can't write anyone off.

smemon wrote:
    If milan get through, i'd have my money on them simply because of the revenge and all that.
    Would you have said that about Chelsea last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

My 2 cents worth..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

flanzer wrote:
    My 2 cents worth..........
    The Chelsea squad cost far more than £150million

• Advertisement
Advertisement