Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Chelsea CL semi - 2nd leg

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BaZmO* wrote:
    It's a bit pointless quoting what people predicted before a match as the only evidence they have to make their predictions is what has gone before and the evidence suggested that Chelsea would be too much for Liverpool.
    And PHB actually said that it would take a big effort from Liverpool to go through.....was last night not a big effort?

For what it's worth though, I actually predicted penos, pity I didn't put my money where my mouth was...

Bet PHB knew that Zenden was not going to be played in central midfield when he saw Gerrard and Macheranos name on the team sheet.;)

Liverpool did put in a big efford last night. The game was played at a pretty frantic pace . it didn't make for pretty football but it did take great effort. I don't think anyone would have predicted that Chelsea would have been as poor as they were last night, they were brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Chelsea were poor last night but more than that the effects of the season have taken their toll. They were running on empty, the reserve tank was used up long ago. Personally I think this is hugely down to Jose. You don't need to play all the top players in every game. JT and Lamps playing against scuntorpe in the league cup etc...

Regarding the game's themselves I thought Chelsea should have killed it off in the bridge. Some great chances wasted and they came back to haunt them. In anfield, while football wise it was a dire game, tension (my nerves were destroyed) and excitement it was great. Liverpool were a lot better last night and deserved the victory. Looking at all the chances over the course of the two games I'd say on pure chances Chelsea should have won, but on footballing terms Liverpool should have won.

Kuyts goal was good but looking at the line of the linesman I can see why it was flagged. That said, he should have done better with his chance later on. 1-1 extra time and pens, well it was a stalemate with nothing between them. No shame at all in going out on pens.

What I was happy with is that apart form a brief moment in the first half I thought on the pitch things were conducted fairly well. It didn't get hand baggy and there is no controversy and another year of moaning about this or that. For that I'm happy and wish Liverpool the best of luck in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't think anyone would have predicted that Chelsea would have been as poor as they were last night

except ....
    redspider wrote:
    Many pundits are giving Chelsea a clear advantage, but I dont see it so clear cut, because if Liverpool score first, and they clearly can, then this tie is wide open and if anything it will be advantage Liverpool.

The other aspect is that Chelsea are not performing brilliantly at this stage of the season. Indeed, in comparison to their other recent seasons they are below par. Their dropping of pts on the weekend and the effective end of their campaign for the league title (bar a catastrophe) means that they wont be coming into this game with happy minds. Also given the turmoil in the camp during the season and the Owner/Manager spat, its far from a happy camp and there aren't that many happy campers in there either.

and no doubt many others (albeit a minority) expected that something similar could happen ......

I'm not trying to portray a case of "I told you so", but many analysts/pundits and followers of football had written off Liverpool's chances far too easily when the tie was just a one goal gap at 1-0. And in football, as was demonstrated last night, you just cant do that as it is too tight a margin. People were saying that it was a matter of when Chelsea would score at Anfield rather than an if, and again, it didnt follow-on from what we are/were seeing from Chelsea this season.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

iregk wrote:
    Chelsea were poor last night but more than that the effects of the season have taken their toll. They were running on empty, the reserve tank was used up long ago. Personally I think this is hugely down to Jose. You don't need to play all the top players in every game. JT and Lamps playing against scuntorpe in the league cup etc...

I think this is really nonsese. There's no profesional footballer in the world that can't find something in the tank for game like this and if you can't then you shouldn't be on 100k+ a week with the "best team in europe"

chelsea are not a milan it's not a team full of 30+'s being tired is just nonsense.

Chelsea are an awful boring footballing side, they had one thing on their mind going to anfield last night and that was for a 0-0 draw.

Once they lost the goal they went to the usuall boring "footballing" side they've been for two years, lumping long balls up to drogba and hoping for the best.

From a footballing point of view liverpool were not much better but while penant was on the field they did try and get the ball down and spread the play a bit.

Liverpool wanted it more a lot more and that showed and I think over the two legs they were the better side but both legs were pretty embarrasing for two top sides in the what's suppose to be the best leage in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Despite the fact that Milan have the motivation, I still think they're an easier prospect than Utd. They aren't the team that they were two years ago.

ntlbell wrote:
    I think this is really nonsese. There's no profesional footballer in the world that can't find something in the tank for game like this and if you can't then you shouldn't be on 100k+ a week with the "best team in europe"

Ok so footballers earning top money never get tired do they not? Do you play football? There is a huge difference between what your head and heart wants to do and what your legs will do.

iregk wrote:
    Ok so footballers earning top money never get tired do they not? Do you play football? There is a huge difference between what your head and heart wants to do and what your legs will do.

Your right there is a huge difference between the head and the heart.

and the heart's of the "little club" that is Liverpool must be just that little bit bigger than those in blue.

Tired....sigh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As a fan, I would much rather us play tight, effective and direct while winning; than attempting to play some sort of complex and fluid passing game that is pretty on the eye while losing. It feels good to win. The Evans years didn't feel too good.

You must do the basics well first to win trophies. Need to have heart and bottle, put in the work, be organised and difficult to breakdown - the rest is the extras. It is a cup competition. It isn't about league consistency. It is about raising your levels of intensity to a sufficient pitch for big games and getting results. Arguments to the effect that Liverpool are thrid in the Premiership don't really matter. They were allowed in, beat the two pre - competition favorites and are now in the final.

Chelsea were quite negative last night but they were missing three key players right through the spine of the side and were coming off a demoralising weekend result, so that must be taken into account. They have been unlucky with injuries throughout the season and I would be sad to see Mourinho go for he is good for creating spectacle (everyone needs a villain) and you can't argue with the results he has achieved in his career thus far. English football would be lesser without him IMO.

Roll on the final. I think it will be Milan and I think that over 90 minutes we can beat either in a once off encounter. Let's go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

I was scathing of Gerrard in the run up but his performance last night was exceptional,tackling,passing,playing with the head and heart...awesome.
    Liverpool will surely fancy themselves over either united or milan due to their defensive and physical style.Ronaldo and kaka,just like lampard find it hard to play when mascherano at all takes the ball off your feet striaght away and hassle and harry you into mistakes

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    Your right there is a huge difference between the head and the heart.

and the heart's of the "little club" that is Liverpool must be just that little bit bigger than those in blue.

Tired....sigh...

Go back and re read my post... You also seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this whole big club little club thing. I don't think anyone has ever refered to Liverpool as a little club!

iregk wrote:
    Go back and re read my post... You also seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this whole big club little club thing. I don't think anyone has ever refered to Liverpool as a little club!

I'm not a liverpool fan so I have no chip on my shoulder...I'm a UTD supporter I know how big we are. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Holy shít.

Reina's gaf was done over while he was performing his heroics.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2070691,00.html

I dunno whether to laugh or :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

iregk wrote:
    I don't think anyone has ever refered to Liverpool as a little club!
    Apparently Moura Ní Rianio did recently and that's where that's coming from. It's also why Gerrard said what he said in his interview last night. Does anyone have links to post match interviews actually? i only saw bits of them, didn't see either of the manager's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seansouth wrote:
    Holy shít.

Seems a lot of house's in Liverpool have been broken into!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

griffdaddy wrote:
    . Does anyone have links to post match interviews actually? i only saw bits of them, didn't see either of the manager's
    They're in the video section on Sky Sports site.

Carragher's is priceless.

• Advertisement

griffdaddy wrote:
    Apparently Moura Ní Rianio did recently and that's where that's coming from. It's also why Gerrard said what he said in his interview last night.

Oh ok, didn't hear Jose saying that and didn't see Gerrards interview either. If he did say it its just silly really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

BaZmO* wrote:
    For what it's worth though, I actually predicted penos, pity I didn't put my money where my mouth was...

I did :D put a euro on both teams to win on penalties at 19/1.
    Also had money on liverpool to win halftime/fulltime, and had them to win the match (90mins) at in an accumulator with 3 other teams (seville to beat osasuna at home, Man U to win the Manchester derby and Barca to beat the woeful Sociedad), will get just over 40 from 5 on that.

Also put money on a liverpool V milan final back before the PSV games, so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

seansouth wrote:
    Holy shít.

apparently Lampard is a suspect as his whereabouts are unknown from 7.45 to 10.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Call_me_al wrote:
    apparently Lampard is a suspect as his whereabouts are unknown from 7.45 to 10.30.
    LOL, although you're being slightly unfair as it's not his fault that his team mates kept on hoofing the ball over his head. Still funny though!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

PiE wrote:
    They're in the video section on Sky Sports site.

Carragher's is priceless.

Check out the Tom Hicks interview - love his boots!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Call_me_al wrote:
    lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

smemon wrote:
    My point exactly. In the short term, it's great for fans.. but you soon get fed up of it and neutrals turn against you. Fans demand wins, but once they start winning, they demand style.

This sorta of attidude or arrogance by fans or someone involved with a club is what turns the nuetrals against you or towards the underdogs - see Chelsea..

The neutrals will not be against Liverpool in this final.. The neutals will be for the underdogs, which Liverpool most definately are after that lesson in football that Milan gave United.

Care to analyse what happened to United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Care to analyse what happened to United?

That would be easy.

They were out-classed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

totally outclassed and Kaka showed what a real world class player does in these game. just amazing!!!

d22ontour wrote:
    That would be easy.

They were out-classed.

That they were. No slagging though as I have a fear that Milan will do the same to Liverpool. Although, I do think Liverpool are better equipped to cope with Milan's midfield, especially if Rafa goes with 2 holding midfielders as I suspect he will.

Smemon made multiple points regarding Liverpools short comings as a team and what their strenghts are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If we win it again, we'll equal Milans 6 times.

The bitter Utd threads will keep me going tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm actually pretty confident Milan will overcome Liverpool seeing that incredible performance tonight. Think Rafa will have to use Masche and Sissoko to hound down Kaka and Seedorf and then Alonso on Pirlo. Once we negate their midfield it's ours to win.
    But all that's easier to type than it is to do!
    Come on the Pool!!

Slurms wrote:
    I'm actually pretty confident Milan will overcome Liverpool seeing that incredible performance tonight. Think Rafa will have to use Masche and Sissoko to hound down Kaka and Seedorf and then Alonso on Pirlo. Once we negate their midfield it's ours to win.
    But all that's easier to type than it is to do!
    Come on the Pool!!

There is no doubting that Milan are a superior force but I would agree with your assesment of how we could potentially cope with Milan.

Reina
    Finnan----Carragher
    Agger----Riise
    Mascherano
    Sissoko

Alonso
    ---Gerard
    Pennant---
    Crouch

Milan would seriously struggle to assert themselves if Liverpool set themselves this way. It would be shamefully negative though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

There is no doubting that Milan are a superior force but I would agree with your assesment of how we could potentially cope with Milan.

Reina
    Finnan----Carragher
    Agger----Riise
    Mascherano
    Sissoko

Alonso
    ---Gerard
    Pennant---
    Crouch

Milan would seriously struggle to assert themselves if Liverpool set themselves this way. It would be shamefully negative though.
    Yeah that'd be my line-up aswell, except maybe Gonzo for Pennant (Just cos Pennant is severely one-footed). Aye it would be negative, and we'd probably be booed but it could help us win. But knowing Benitez he's been planning this since February so whatever he puts out will be the right option.
    In Rafa We Trust!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Call_me_al wrote:
    Didn't think I could smile again for some time after tonight, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Call_me_al wrote:

football365 me thinks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I really hate them scouser's hope AC make sh*t of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

*mono* wrote:

Hehehe. Posts like this make it all the more sweeter that Liverpool are in the final and United aren't. Bitter, bitter, bitter.

*mono* wrote:

I really really really dislike Manchester United but was still disappointed that Milan gave them such a beating tonight. Would have loved to be able to experience a CL final with my mates who support United - regardless of the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

*mono* wrote:
    Don't post again in this forum unless you have something intelligent to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

I really really really dislike Manchester United but was still disappointed that Milan gave them such a beating tonight. Would have loved to be able to experience a CL final with my mates who support United - regardless of the result.

Feel the same except United fan. If United had of got through tonight, it would have been a once in a lifetime thing. Something to tell the kids about kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Reina
    Finnan----Carragher
    Agger----Riise
    Mascherano
    Sissoko

Alonso
    ---Gerard
    Pennant---
    Crouch

If that was the formation i'd prefer Gerrard on the left. He tends to drift around anyway and coming in off the left is perfect for a right footer to take shots on goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm not quite sure a 4-2-3-1 really works against Milan.
    I think Liverpool showed the way to beat them is to really really go at them, and I think Rafa will do the same again.

I also regret that we won't have the best final in United and Liverpool's history, it would have been legendary. Still, if the English clubs really have taken over the scene, (which I'm not sure they have), hopefully we might see it next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:
    I'm not quite sure a 4-2-3-1 really works against Milan.
    I think Liverpool showed the way to beat them is to really really go at them, and I think Rafa will do the same again.

I agree. I think it needs to be a combination of closing them down quickly, marking Kaka & Seedorf and putting as much pressure on them as possible. There is no room for mistimed passes or defensive errors as we all know how clinical KaKa is. I think that chances for Liverpool will be slim so I really hope our strikers can take advantage of any that come up. If Kaka & Seedorf are allowed to play as they did against utd and Liverpool pass nearly as badly as Utd did then its game over.

I dont think Milans midfield will be given as much room to play as they had against utd though. I also think their full backs will be closed down much quicker as our widemen (Gerrard,Pennant,Zenden,Riise,Kewell) all track back and defend more than Giggs or Ronaldo would.

• Advertisement
Advertisement