Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Training

Options
  • 30-04-2007 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I've a 10 week old puppy and I'm trying to house train her at the moment.

She knows that she has to do her business on the newspapers that I've laid out on the floor.

The problem is that she will not go to the toilet outside, I've tried nearly everything, brining papers outside, catching her midway through the act and moving her outside still she will not go outside instead she comes in to go!

Any suggestions, I know she's still young?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

for me crate training was a godsend in the toilet dept. We bought crate on ebay, we put dogs bed in it so he slept in there but we left door open for about a week till he was used to it. he liked it from day one and seemed happy so after a week when he went for a sleep wed close the door for about 5 mins, we did this for another week gradually building up the time the door was closed. by week 3 we were locking him in overnite and from the first nite doing this he copped the toilet traing bec he didnt want to soil his bed andnow sits at back door to be let out. We also make sure to go out with him if we know he needs to go and load on the praise when he goes outside, now when we go out, last things at nite ill tell him go wee and even if he doesnt need to go he makes an effort just to get the praise afterwards!
    Key times for toilet are upon waking, after food, & after play. They need to go inbetween but its just a case of being observant.
    Sorry just reread your post, we had same prob with our guy I had to carry him outside but then we put his water bowl outside back door (on advice of trainer) hed go out to get a drink, would have a sniff around and then 9 out of 10 times hed go off and wee and wed heap the praise on as he was doing it.
    Hope it goes well for you as toilet training has to be the most trying time as a dog owner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Forget about the newspaper alltogether, you're just confusing the issue.

Doing the business inside should not be an option ...on newspaper or otherwise.

Take her out at her usual times when she has to go and wait until she does ...praise like mad ...repeat until she's got it ...simple as that.

Make sure she has plenty of opportunity to go outside and if she has an accident inside, just ignore it and clean it up quietly.

Advertisement