Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milan V United SL second leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I fancy United to score the opener on the break or from a set peice. Milan will get one back. Cue lots of desperate defending from United, who will just about hold out against a Milan torrent.

If Kaka' doesn't perform though, Milan will go out easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

very very nervous now. especially after the match tonight. even that had my heart going I cant imagine what this will be like now that the team I support is playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

So, Maldini is out. Kaldaze / Bonera are adequate defenders but Maldini just can't be replaced - a big miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

SofaKing wrote:
    So, Maldini is out. Kaldaze / Bonera are adequate defenders but Maldini just can't be replaced - a big miss.

kaladze had a fantastic partnership with nesta last year when maldini was out for a long spell and was voted milan's player of the year so for technical ability he is up there however they will miss the calming presence that maldini brings but perhaps that is needed as they will need the fire that gattuso brings to everyone around him its the same do or die attitude keane had in the 99 semi whereby there was no point in him being able to play if they are not there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gona be a very tight match, it's slighty advantage United with the goal difference, but that's not huge.
    We need to score, and I think if we can score we can go through.
    A lots gona depend on who we play in defense. If our defense is

Brown-Rio-Vidic-Heinze

I think we've a great chance of keeping a clean sheet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Cant see man u getting past Milan, Brown, O'shea and Vidic will make a few f*ups as usual I'd say, as well as Fletcher and Carrick. Rooney and Ronaldo will almost certainly be outclassed, Gattuso and Jankulovski will see to that.

I'd say it'll be about 3 - 0 to milan on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So who's on yellow cards? Scholes, Giggs, Kaka?

I'd be very surprised if Scholes doesn't pick up another one...unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

BaZmO* wrote:
    So who's on yellow cards? Scholes, Giggs, Kaka?

I'd be very surprised if Scholes doesn't pick up another one...unfortunately.
    Ronaldo as well, but i'd actually be surprised if he got booked, unless we are 2 down with only a few minutes to go - he's only picked up 4 cards all season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

If Scholes gets a yellow and we go through I will be so upset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Think Heinze is on a yellow as well.
    I've got a horrible horrible feeling about tonights match that won't go away. Hopefully this bout of negativity shall be gone by Noon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I thought Scholes' yellow would have been wiped out after being suspended for the Roma match. The rule is ridiculous. Players have to go 12 matches without getting more than 2 bookings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Scholes can't resist getting booked...... It's a pretty safe bet that he won't be playing in the final, should we get through.

I just hope Vidic is playing!

eirebhoy wrote:
    I thought Scholes' yellow would have been wiped out after being suspended for the Roma match. The rule is ridiculous. Players have to go 12 matches without getting more than 2 bookings.
    Scholes was 1 yellow away from getting a suspension prior to the Roma game, he then recieved 2 yellows in the match, which mean he got his suspension, plus another yellow. The ginger idiot. It is a stupid rule though - should be 3, at least. It is too easy to pick up a booking, especially in Europe (not that you'd realise that from last nights game)

You never know. The ref last night let people away with loadsa tackles that could have been yellows, and will probably be yellows in tonights match.

There is no earthly season why Scholes should get booked tonight, Fletcher and Carrick will be d
    oing most of the tackling, so if Scholes stays on his feet, it should be fine.

Ronaldo is very unlikely to get booked, and his first booking wasn't a booking anyway. He gets booked like four times a season.

I think the key tonight is stopping Kaka.
    I feel he was their best player, really their only player, against us last week.
    I think Rio can shackle him.
    Just look at his goals last week, the first one, Rio would have matched him for pace, the second goal, Rio would have organised the defense a lot better and it would have been cleared.
    Kaka is immense, but when your threat is coming from really one main player, it's solvable if you have good defenders.

The real question is, will we have good defenders :)
    I kinda hope that if Rio and Vidic come back, we will still play O'Shea at right back. With the form he is in, in relation to getting key goals from corner kicks, I think he'd be useful on the pitch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tauren wrote:
    The ginger idiot.
    :eek:

That's not very nice.

• Advertisement

oh come on - he was an idiot for getting the two bookings against Roma; both were terribly stupid fouls. So i think calling him an idiot for it is fair. And we call him the ginger ninja, and the ginger prince, so you can hardly object to me refering to him as ginger!

I was just gonna type:Idiot. But, i thought the poster i was replying to might think i was calling them an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Vidic has passed a fitness test and is set to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Look, do you think Uefa will want to see a United and Liverpool final in Athens? There will be killings (and probably indefinite bans as well).

So the ref is going to hand out bookings to united players like snuff at a wake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Look, do you think Uefa will want to see a United and Liverpool final in Athens? There will be killings (and probably indefinite bans as well).

So the ref is going to hand out bookings to united players like snuff at a wake.
    are you saying the ref is bent?

I don't buy this whole crap.
    The trouble is always between English clubs and foreign clubs, normally because foreign ultras want to prove themselves against what they see as the most hardcore fans.

United vs. Liverpool fans, they hate each other, really can't stand each other, but how often does that get violent? It hasn't happened in a long time, and I doubt it'll happen in Athens.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: What difference will it make if he keeps handing out yellows to Utd. players? It'd just mean that a lot of Utd. players would miss the final but you'd still have a Pool / Utd. final if they beat Milan tonight.

I really hate all this conspiracy nonsense.

why would the atmosphere be any different bewtween them? There's bee no history of violence bewteen the clubs, they hate each other but it doesn't extend as far as either set of fans wanting to kill each other!

There was a meeting in UEFA this morning, and they decided that an all english final involving these rivals cannot be allowed.

So they've told the ref to 'ensure Milan get through'.

You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Vidic has passed a fitness test and is set to play
    linky?

why would the atmosphere be any different bewtween them? There's bee no history of violence bewteen the clubs, they hate each other but it doesn't extend as far as either set of fans wanting to kill each other!
    not killing each other, just pissing on them, and throwing cans of crap at them.

Tauren wrote:
    not killing each other, just pissing on them, and throwing cans of crap at them.
    :rolleyes: Here we go again....

BaZmO* wrote:
    :rolleyes: Here we go again....
    it happened, it it has inflamed the hatred between certain sects of the supporters. Just because people don't like it is no reason to brush it under the carpet (and smeering the walls of OT with crap and slogans regarding Munich didn't help)

I would hope a potential final between the two sets of fans would go off peacefully - but i just don't think there will be no trouble when you potentially have what, 20,000 united fans and 20,000 liverpool fans in the same city, drinking for hours on end for a couple of days.

I'm sure there are United fans that are not angels, and would relish the oppertunity to 'right' any wrongs; i'm sure there are a number of United fans that have chanted slogans regarding hillborough, or the Shields case, and i do not condone any of it. But, there is annomosity between parts of the supporter groups, and there is recent history of more then just jovial micky taking chants.

Ah it's still pretty trivial.

There is a huge huge difference between vandalism and physical attacks. Sure, if they were really out for physical attacks, that event you talked about happened a few years ago, why hasn't anything happened since then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Fancy Milan to go through, I think their generation of players deserve another chance against Liverpool.

But we'll see, who knows, thats the beauty of knockout competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Tauren wrote:
    I was just gonna type:Idiot. But, i thought the poster i was replying to might think i was calling them an idiot.
    Maybe the poster was ginger? Gingers have feelings too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tauren wrote:
    it happened, it it has inflamed the hatred between certain sects of the supporters. Just because people don't like it is no reason to brush it under the carpet (and smeering the walls of OT with crap and slogans regarding Munich didn't help)

I would hope a potential final between the two sets of fans would go off peacefully - but i just don't think there will be no trouble when you potentially have what, 20,000 united fans and 20,000 liverpool fans in the same city, drinking for hours on end for a couple of days.

I'm sure there are United fans that are not angels, and would relish the oppertunity to 'right' any wrongs; i'm sure there are a number of United fans that have chanted slogans regarding hillborough, or the Shields case, and i do not condone any of it. But, there is annomosity between parts of the supporter groups, and there is recent history of more then just jovial micky taking chants.

I cant see the game passing off without any trouble either.

Between the normal bad blood between the 2 clubs and United not seeming to be able to travel in Europe this year without causing trouble (Rome, Lille, Old Trafford), i would imagine that Uefa will have to be on top of things in the eventuallity of this game taking place, or else there could be real serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Between the normal bad blood between the 2 clubs and United not seeming to be able to travel in Europe this year without causing trouble (Rome, Lille, Old Trafford), i would imagine that Uefa will have to be on top of things in the eventuallity of this game taking place, or else there could be real serious trouble.

What trouble did they cause in Rome?

Another 3-2 isn't entirely impossible.

Who would be the penalty takers for each side, and are United fans confident the team could do it?

seansouth wrote:

Who would be the penalty takers for each side, and are United fans confident the team could do it?

I don't think you can be really confident about peno's if it's against milan or shamrock rovers :p but I think with milan's exp they would be slight favourites .

then again I would fancy VDS to do better than dida.

tough to call.

I wouldn't write off another 3-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

seansouth wrote:

Id guess
    Milan
    Kaka
    Pirlo
    Gattuso
    Gillardino/Inzagi
    Oddo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'd say penalites are a remote chance in this match. Ronaldo will have to stay on his feet, as he wouldn't want to risk getting a yellow for diving.. especially as his reputation preceeds him.

Good news for UTD on the defensive front anyway. Vidic back should settle things a lot more.

Obviously Gattuso playing for AC is important. He offers some much needed bite, in an otherwise light but skillful midfield.

Its a tough match to call, but two away goals is enormous in europe, so I'm gonna put my money on Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

what took you so long? Yep there always causing trouble when they travel to old trafford.....

2 away goals is a big thing but it would have meant a lot more if Rooney hadnt got the winner the last day. I dont think away goals will come into it tonight. Utd will either get hammered or they'll get a draw/win. Cant see it being 1-0 or 2-1 to Milan........well I hope not anyways :)

I think United will score tonight, I think most people think that, so the question is will the United defense be good enough to stop them scoring twice?

I think that if United can score twice tonight, we will be through, and to be honest, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to.

• Advertisement

So are you gonna be the resident Troll this year? :rolleyes:

PHB wrote:
    I think United will score tonight, I think most people think that, so the question is will the United defense be good enough to stop them scoring twice?

I think that if United can score twice tonight, we will be through, and to be honest, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to.

If Vidic starts which is looking likley now because he's done a lot more running than Rio I think we can hold them off.

We just need to get off to a good start and keep pushing milan back, if we sit off them and try and hold on we will lose. vidic/rio or no vidic/rio we cannot sit back.

Vidic seems to have passed every test, but there really is no news on whether or not these guys will play.
    I'm sure Fergie has decided, but I think he just wants to keep milan guessing.

I don't think United will be sitting back to be honest, they know they need the away goals, we've been hurt too many times before on away goals. Also, players like Ronaldo don't know how to sit back. He will be a constant threat throughout the game, mainly because he doesn't track back. If we sit back, and Milan overcommit, there isn't a person in the world you'd want ahead of Ronaldo on the break.

I already have the gitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

PHB wrote:
    Ah it's still pretty trivial.

There is a huge huge difference between vandalism and physical attacks. Sure, if they were really out for physical attacks, that event you talked about happened a few years ago, why hasn't anything happened since then?

It has, maybe not on a huge scale but there has been fights between Utd and Liverpool fans in recent fixtures, just because it does not get picked up on in the news doesn't mean it has not happened.

I could see huge trouble happening in the build up to the game over there with both sets of fans drinking all day. It will just take a couple of idots from either side and it will all kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Tonight I am expecting a high tempo and fast start from milan, the first 20 -25 mins are going to be keg.I know Italian teams are very Patience and don't panic. But I feel that they will have to have a fast start, as they will not want United to settle and they will want to ask questions of your defence as soon as possible . But i can see this fast start helping United for two reasons 1 it will open up space in milan half which your speed and ability to break could be use to deadly effect,and 2 A Fast and high tempo start from Milan can only help the younger legs of United in the closing 20 mins or so.
    In fact i cannot see United not scoring tonight. I see United going through but it will be no walk in the park and the fact that its UNITED I expect a few scares and the odd heart attack or two along the way.

did they not attempt to breach a police barricade in rome?

I ain't trolling, just stating that i agree with other members here who claim that the game wont pass off without incident if united and liverpool meet.

Pretty fair thing to say considering the intensity of the rivallry between the two clubs and their sets of fans.

You just deem me to be *trolling* because you dont like/agree with what i'm saying, but in fairness considering the trouble with Roma fans home and away and Lille before that, it is a genuine concern.

Especially considering i just booked my flights to Athens and would be much more at ease with the AC fans than Uniteds!

As for tonight, i think that if United score they'll be through. interesting to see if scholes holds back from his usual gung ho tackles.

Should be a good game though

• Advertisement

did they not attempt to breach a police barricade in rome?

I ain't trolling, just stating that i agree with other members here who claim that the game wont pass off without incident if united and liverpool meet.

Pretty fair thing to say considering the intensity of the rivallry between the two clubs and their sets of fans.

You just deem me to be *trolling* because you dont like/agree with what i'm saying, but in fairness considering the trouble with Roma fans home and away and Lille before that, it is a genuine concern.

Especially considering i just booked my flights to Athens and would be much more at ease with the AC fans than Uniteds!

As for tonight, i think that if United score they'll be through. interesting to see if scholes holds back from his usual gung ho tackles.

Should be a good game though
    You implication seems to be that it was the united fans that caused the problems in Rome, while the Roma fans were equally culpable - if not more so, as they were the ones goading the united fans first, and chucking bottles at them. Them the riot police just inflamed the situation by beating people in the head (you are supposed to aim at their legs) rather then employing any kind of civilized crowd control.

The incidents at the home tie were unfortunate, and the black hoods are scumbags of the highest order. However, again, the Roma fans were no angels.

The incident at Lille/Lens is a joke though, and should not be blamed on the United fans. Escaping from a crush CASUED by the riot police herding United, then chasing them away from the stadium and then back towards the stadium was shambolic.

If you don't believe me, ask the gooners who have traveled to both Rome and Lens in the recent past and have been subjected to the same terrible policing measures.

If there is trouble in Athens, both sets of fans would be equally at fault, but your initial post appears to lay all the blame of recent events at the feet of the united fans, which is as unfair as calling EVERY united fan a disgrace, as you have also recently done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

my Utd penalty takers:

ronaldo
    scholes
    rooney
    giggs
    carrick

but i don't think it will get that far. Utd have scored 30 goals in their last 10 games. I can't see Utd not scoring.

At Milan, with a few defensive absentee's i can see us conceding at least 1.

a 1-1 draw is what i'd put my money on. Milan to go 1-0 up and utd to pull it back and hold on.

smemon wrote:
    my Utd penalty takers:

ronaldo
    scholes
    rooney
    giggs
    carrick

but i don't think it will get that far. Utd have scored 30 goals in their last 10 games. I can't see Utd not scoring.

At Milan, with a few defensive absentee's i can see us conceding at least 1.

a 1-1 draw is what i'd put my money on. Milan to go 1-0 up and utd to pull it back and hold on.
    Personally, i think United HAVE to score first if they are to progress. If Mialn score first they have the experience and ability to shut the game down and hit us on the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tauren wrote:
    Personally, i think United HAVE to score first if they are to progress. If Mialn score first they have the experience and ability to shut the game down and hit us on the break.

my thoughts exactly. its pretty inevitable that Milan will score at some stage, between Inzaghi finally getting the offside trap right after 20 attempts, Kaka waking up for 30 seconds etc.

Tauren wrote:
    You implication seems to be that it was the united fans that caused the problems in Rome, while the Roma fans were equally culpable - if not more so, as they were the ones goading the united fans first, and chucking bottles at them. Them the riot police just inflamed the situation by beating people in the head (you are supposed to aim at their legs) rather then employing any kind of civilized crowd control.

The incidents at the home tie were unfortunate, and the black hoods are scumbags of the highest order. However, again, the Roma fans were no angels.

The incident at Lille/Lens is a joke though, and should not be blamed on the United fans. Escaping from a crush CASUED by the riot police herding United, then chasing them away from the stadium and then back towards the stadium was shambolic.

If you don't believe me, ask the gooners who have traveled to both Rome and Lens in the recent past and have been subjected to the same terrible policing measures.

If there is trouble in Athens, both sets of fans would be equally at fault, but your initial post appears to lay all the blame of recent events at the feet of the united fans, which is as unfair as calling EVERY united fan a disgrace, as you have also recently done.

obviously when i'm talking about the trouble, i only mean an element of the fanbase, thats the element i'm worried about, and unfortunately thats all it takes.

Liverpool haven't had any trouble on the road in Europe in quite some time. Untied have, thats the only reason i'm worried.

i dont mean to tar all united fans with the same brush (my da supports em and he's sound enough! :))

are Rio and Vidic back tonight? or just one or the other?

• Advertisement
Advertisement