Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galwegian jackeens

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Are Galwegians the jackeens of the West? Being the biggest county/county town in the West does everything revolve around us?
    Is Mayo simply a food and labour supply line into the city?
    Are people from Roscommon and Sligo ridiculed?
    Does Leitrim have a traffic light?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

mayo ranks below cabbage in the food chain i think.
    i know a fella from Leitrim with a traffic light in his front room. he bulldozed it down on a day trip to galway on his tractor on December 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Ya the amount of Mayo people around is ridiculous. I propose some sort of cross border immigration resctrictions. Like you can come in to Galway if you don't own a Massey Ferguson and 300 sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, if I put it this way - typical jackeens never leave Dublin city. They are ignorant pricks that consider the rest of the country a biiiig suburb to Dublin City. They might head to Bray for a Sunday or Galway for a stag, once or twice in their lives.

I am only a blow-in to Galway and have started thinking, are Galwegians the same? Never/rarely leaving town. Thinking neighbouring counties are not as good as us?

Myself, I like to leave town for day or weekend trips to Burren/ Connemara/ Mayo/ Wicklow almost every weekend but then I have a car.

I would use word like "connies", "shams", "scans" etc which would be derogatory I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Yes I agree with this cross border restrictions. Also we should place tolls on the border so we can build luxurious leisure facilities and we should place restrictions on what food crosses over. God knows what diseases inhabit that land!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Seriously though, if myself and my friends are out for the night and we meet someone from outside Galway, even from Loughrea or Gort one of my friends asks "What brings you to the city?". And "How will you get home, it's so far away?" This lad was AMAZED when I showed him GMIT 2 years ago...and he grew up in Galway. Another friend of mine refers to ALL roads outside Galway as dirt trails and she thinks sheep are cuddly, human loving, lovely smelling animals. Sometimes I want to clock them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

schween wrote:
    Seriously though, if myself and my friends are out for the night and we meet someone from outside Galway, even from Loughrea or Gort one of my friends asks "What brings you to the city?". And "How will you get home, it's so far away?" This lad was AMAZED when I showed him GMIT 2 years ago...and he grew up in Galway. Another friend of mine refers to ALL roads outside Galway as dirt trails and she thinks sheep are cuddly, human loving, lovely smelling animals. Sometimes I want to clock them. :D

Ya I've encountered people like that myself, really frustrating because Galway is practically in the sticks itself it's so small lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Roscommon just got a Dunnes Stores last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

biko wrote:
    Being the biggest county/county town in the West does everything revolve around us?

It's not that I think everything revolves around Galway, it's more that it all revolves around me, and I just happen to be in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Nah i dont think its like that at all, im from donegal and living in galway and i never hear anyone say a bad word about Galwegians tbh, Dubliners on the other hand are a different story. I mean "the only people in Ireland are Dubliners" The rest are the people couldnt get a job in a high class society such as dublin and had to leave to become farmers in the rest of the country...............Jackeen F*****s. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

biko wrote:
    I am only a blow-in to Galway
    In fairness, though, Galway tends to be very welcoming to blow-ins ... probably partly because half the population of the city fit that description! *

* including myself, btw!

• Advertisement

I am a blow in too.:)

Fracture wrote:
    Nah i dont think its like that at all, im from donegal and living in galway and i never hear anyone say a bad word about Galwegians tbh
    A mate from Sligo has been here a good few years and never heard a bad word, like being called bogger or such. Perhaps it's Mayo people that get the brunt of the digs from Galwegians (see posts above).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

In my experience its only people from Mayo and Leitrim that get the slaggings ... anywhere else ... its just no fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

the dubs were called Jackeens because they used to wave the Union Jack flags at the queen when she came visiting all them years ago.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I came in from Sligo, not a word to me, but the again, I'm quite the aristrocrat.
    A lot of galway people seem up their arses about teir 'traditional irish city', a lot are nice too. Nice place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I rarely leave the city. But also rarely leave the country.

But I'm happy enough here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

And why wouldn't you be with beautiful ladies like me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

biko wrote:
    Does Leitrim have a traffic light?

last time i was through there they had one traffic light in Carrick-in-Shannon and it was a pedestrian crossing at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

I'm a blow-in. I've lived in Galway for 10 years and found that particularly to the non-city folk, I'm just a blow-in and not a Galwegian (yes they do treat me differently when they find out). My accent is neutral enough that very few can place it.
    I also found Dubliners to be far more welcoming than Galwegians. Particularly, Dubliners are more welcoming of Galwegians than the other way around.
    BTW, I'm sure you can find parts of Dublin which are worse than Galway as a whole, but similarly, there are parts that are much more progressive and open-minded too. One has to remember that Galway is really just a big town and not really a proper city (unlike Cork and Dublin).

The population of Galway is so mixed these days.
    1/3 students
    1/3 blow-ins
    1/3 natives*

*Sir, the natives are getting restless :D Ok it was funny in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

There seems to be a huge population of real jackeens living in Galway as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

nastysimon wrote:
    <snip > One has to remember that Galway is really just a big town and not really a proper city (unlike Cork and Dublin).

And you wonder why you're treated like a blow in with statements like that???

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I'm a blow in... from mayo.

as are most other people I know in galway tbh. (a blow in that is)

I dont mind Mayo being the butt of many Galegian's jokes, I go through the city of Tuam on my way home, Galway must be so proud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Fey! wrote:

I'd totally agree with nastysimon.
    And yup, I'm a native.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

nastysimon wrote:
    I also found Dubliners to be far more welcoming than Galwegians. Particularly, Dubliners are more welcoming of Galwegians than the other way around.

As someone who's lived years in both places I can safely say that that is complete rubbish. Try being accepted when you're a "bogger" in a workplace full of D4 heads or wannabe D4 heads which Dublin seems full of.
    BTW, I'm sure you can find parts of Dublin which are worse than Galway as a whole.

No sh1t Sherlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

Fey! wrote:
    I love Galway and part of it is the big town atmosphere. I would never consider it an insult and definitely didn't mean it as such.

Advertisement