Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheating?

• 30-04-2007 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Would you consider it cheating, if you were playing an FPS game on xbox live and you knew one of the apposing players was using a mouse and keyboard adapter?

Something like this

http://www.divineo.co.uk/cgi-bin/div-uk/360-xfps.html

I personally can't play FPS games with a joypad, i did for GOW but only offline and i didn't enjoy it as much as i could have.

I want one of these adapters, but ive a feeling ill just get constantly kicked from servers by people who think im cheating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭anto1208

I never play online its all ways full of saddo nerds that sit for days playing the games so they know every little trick on every little level . Deathmatches just bore the arse of me.......oh im dead ,.....now im alive ..... now your dead.....now your alive ...yawn whats the point .

I cant see how using a keyboard and mouse would make much difference , i suppose its down to what you are more comfortable using , personally i cant see how using a keyboard is easier than a controller .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Thats not cheating..

In my opinion, cheating is using a games known exploits to gain an advantage. Using preferred peripherals is not exploiting.

Work away! What FPS is it, and I´ll tell you if I can own you.. : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

From what I hear those are not all they are made out to be.
    Went back and played HL2 again on the PC at the weekend, hadn't played a FPS on a PC in over a year and it just feels wrong. Yes its more accurate but no rumble is a killer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think control pads are more realistic - as the speed at which you character can move can be limited. I think you can turn far too quickly in FPS titles using a mouse, the speed is unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

I've been playing FPS games on the PC for the best part of 8 years, so it would be a massive advantage to me.

I'm thinking more about into the future games wise, Halo probably.

Anyway, im glad to hear everyones fairly open minded about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

If you cant play FPS with a gamepad then dont play FPS on a console.
    It is unfair as I think we all know for accuracy you cant beat a mouse and keyboard.
    There was an adaptor for the old Xbox that was used a bit in Halo 2 and it did give an advantage as I tried it.
    I would kick you from my server for using it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Tauren wrote:
    i think control pads are more realistic - as the speed at which you character can move can be limited. I think you can turn far too quickly in FPS titles using a mouse, the speed is unrealistic.
    You can turn far faster in real life than you can with a pad but you would be slower than you can do it with a mouse. Although if you were aiming at something infront of you, a mouse gives a much more realistic representation of what speed you would be able to aim at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

All the talk of realism with/without pad/keyboard is kinda funny. Where is the realism in games such as GOW ? I am crap at FPS with joypad. But with keyboard and mouse I am slightly less crap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Unreal 3 on the PS3 will allow keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

those adapters are quality, ive been playing playing pc fps for over 10 years now, and using a mouse and board is so much easier, snipin in GOW and getting headshots in rainbow six is great now...makes the game more fun cause im not ieing all the time or wondering why im missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

naw, thast not cheating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It depends on what you consider cheating.
    I wouldn't call it cheating, but it definitely puts you at a advantage over people without.

IMO it's like America invading second and third world countries.
    It's the equivalent of sending in Blackhawks and cruise missiles, against people with machine guns and RPG's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

If its giving you an advantage over others, then your not on fair terms with everyone else, hence cheating... makes the game unfair?! Am I wrong?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Unreal 3 on the PS3 will allow keyboard and mouse.

Sony have the right idea here. I don't know why Microsoft don't release their own keyboard and mouse adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Cause it gives an unfair advantage to people who spend more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

You don't even need an adapter, I have a usb-wireless keyboard and mouse from a pc - it works perfectly with the PS3. Any one will work.

As for the unfair advantage - setup the servers as having restrictions - you can have a joypad only server, a k&m only server, or one that supports either.

Personally I'd really love to play Resistance FOM with a keyboard and mouse - on the PS3 its up to the developer to add support for K&M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    As for the unfair advantage - setup the servers as having restrictions - you can have a joypad only server, a k&m only server, or one that supports either.

But can the PS3 or Xbox360 distinguish between a pad and a keyboard and mouse?

With the adaptor that was put up in this thread for the 360 I doubt it.

Not right now it can't. But if microsoft released a software update, allowing keyboard and mouse to be used, it would be possible to detect and then server restrictions could be put in place.

It would be the fairest way..

(I'd get bored of schooling joypad jockies anyway :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

In no way is that cheating! Hell so that means everyone who has a stearing weel for car games is cheating too? come on. I have one of those guys and it works for only a few FPS games but it's still better than using the joypad.

god's toy wrote:
    In no way is that cheating! Hell so that means everyone who has a stearing weel for car games is cheating too? come on. I have one of those guys and it works for only a few FPS games but it's still better than using the joypad.

Come on!
    The difference between a steering wheel and joypad is nowhere near that of a mouse/keyboard and keypad.

The steering wheel does the exact same thing as the joypad in a different way. Everything that can be done with a steering wheel, can be done with a joypad.

The mouse can differentiate between pixels, and move a hell of a lot faster than a joypad, so it allows you do do things that you can't with a joypad.

It's a completely different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I would love a hybrid

the analog stick off a pad for movement and a the mouse for aiming.

I don't like k&m because I find it uncomfortable to use the keyboard and I don't like how slow the pads react

The difference between a steering wheel and joypad is nowhere near that of a mouse/keyboard and keypad.

The steering wheel does the exact same thing as the joypad in a different way. Everything that can be done with a steering wheel, can be done with a joypad.

The mouse can differentiate between pixels, and move a hell of a lot faster than a joypad, so it allows you do do things that you can't with a joypad.

I dont agree.

god's toy wrote:
    [/SIZE]

I dont agree.

Care to give a (factual) reason?!

Or is this one of those "Yeah, but you can prove anything with facts", kind of positions you're taking?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

If anything the steering wheel makes it more difficult!!

Or is this one of those "Yeah, but you can prove anything with facts", kind of positions you're taking?

;)
    That's the one :p

god's toy wrote:
    god's toy wrote:
    [/SIZE]

I dont agree.

Or is this one of those "Yeah, but you can prove anything with facts", kind of positions you're taking?;)

That's the one :p

:D

I'm going to buy one and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

http://www.divineo.co.uk/cgi-bin/div-uk/360-xfps.html

i have one of these and will sell for 40euro!

only ever play pro evo on the xbox.

Check your pm's Shevy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Come on!

Using that logic you could argue that someone using a laser mouse in a PC FPS is cheating compared to the guy using a optical or ye old tracker ball mouse !

Advertisement