Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrating a new dog

Options
  • 30-04-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend has a 6 month old male westie. He is fairly spoiled and gets loads of attention. At the weekend she got an 8 week old female yorkie to keep him company when she's out etc.

Obviously the westie is a bit jealous of the new arrival (we have made a big effort to ensure he gets loads of attention since the new arrival).

The problem is that the westie gets a bit rough with the puppy (shes quite small). Now she gives as good as she gets but we're afraid she might get hurt. Is there any tips anyone can give in integrating the two dogs and generally how long does it take for the older dog to accept the new dog into "its" home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

The best thing you can do is to treat the dogs as equal. Don't give one too much attention over the other. If you give your westie more attention than the yorkie he will think you have promoted him and he is now the boss of the yorkie.
    Basically let him know you are the boss. :D

Nicola.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd second that ...

And don't try to introduce a "democracy" either ...dogs live happily under a "dictatorship" ...your rules and your rules only.

As long as they're just, simple, predictable and consistent that is ...

As for squabbles between them: some amount of bickering is normal and should be allowed, but anything that exceeds a quick growl or snap should be stopped by you. (quickly and decisively)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I had 2 males and found that the older one was the leader and it was HIS house. They were both unneutered so that could have affected it. They fought like mad over food and stuff but they allowed the neighbour's female dog to eat their food and do whatever as she likes like borrow their toys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Aside from the good advice before me, if they're playing and the pup gets hurt she'll let a little squeal and sometimes walk off to end playtime. This should let the other dog know to play more gently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Little did I realise I would be doing a practical on this integrating business when this thead was first posted only a few days ago. Read my 'Lost dog found' thread to understand.

While I hopefully will find the owner of this dog its interesting to watch the reactions of my two dobies to the new arrival. For dogs that love meeting other dogs on walks etc the poor stray has received a very frosty reception indeed - especially from the male dobe.

Main problem is the stray is a clingy little thing always no more than an inch away from me and licking my face at every opportunity - this enrages the male dobie in particular. The female (typical female) on the other hand just totally ingores her and it remains to be seen how they will all get through the night.

Am under pressure at home to send her to the pound but I have no intention of doing so as it would be as good as killing her myself. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement