Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning solution - Any recommendations?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Any recommendations for a good barrel cleaner for a shotgun?

I am currently using an aerosol cleaner call Brnox and am finding that it is hard to entirely remove the marks just in front of the chamber without a lot of effort. I would like to get something to do an effective job a bit more quickly. Any tips on something to try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

I'd be inclined to use something with a very mild abrasive in it, like J-B compound.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

that streaking can be hard to shift, i got some bore cleaning spray, i cant remember the make off hand, its white can with red and black label, something 909 or thing to that effect, spray it down and leave for 5 min then, pull 12g bore snake down, comes up like a mirror, no scrubbing or rods

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That red and white tin is Hoppes cleaner , good but not that effective on those marks, have you tried Breakfree CLP?
    I find this to be and excellent product but sadly not widely available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

anyone know a good site for selling cleaning materials, copper solvent, powder solvent and patches etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Maybe if you bought in bulk, with the dollar at it's current value, Brownells or Cabelas would be worth your while for buying cleaning supplies Vegeta? You'll damn sure find exactly what you want. Even if you wanted to share an order, I REALLY need a proper cleaning kit.

• Advertisement

www.nsra.co.uk does Breakfree; not listed on the website but drop them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

when needs must i use Silvo Duraglit(common household Abrasive cleaner) wrap a good wad of it around your jag and 1 or 2 strokes of the bore will shift just about anything. 1 small bit of advise, don't let it get near the wood.

Hezz

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sharpie

Thanks all for that. I am going to try and get my hands on Breakfree or J-B compound to shift the stuff. I'll try to avoid to Silvo for now but if I'm still stuck after the other two...

I will give one of the bore snakes a try as I was thinking about getting one of those anyway to see what they are like. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

Vegeta wrote:
    anyone know a good site for selling cleaning materials, copper solvent, powder solvent and patches etc etc.

http://www.ballymountfs.com/_shop/scripts/prodList.asp

Advertisement