Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Alarm System - Query

Options
  • 30-04-2007 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a query relating to a home alarm system for a new property.

All the wiring has been done and the wiring is present along each window, door. Systems that DIY stores sell are wireless. Which system would I be best going with and could anyone give advice on how to approach setting the alarm up? Also could you recommend a good alarm system, how much and where can I buy from?

Cheers in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Firstly, get a professional certified alarm installer to do it.

You may be voiding your insurance if you DIY it.

Secondly, why go wireless if you already have the wiring in place? With wireless I'm sure you'll have to check the batteries on the sensors all the time.

Thirdly, theives scout around looking for property without an alarm system. Check that the bare wiring for each window isn't visible from the outside (they normally leave extra long wires and loop them up when just installing the wiring).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

Quite correct Dublinwriter. Wireless = more expense, less reliability & an expensive battery required per device.

However "certified alarm installer" = someone who has paid money to be certified.

I am a highly qualified and experienced electrician with many years of experience. I have installed hundreads of alarms over the years (I am not looking for a job! This is not an add!). However I know a "certified alarm installer" very well (nice guy). He has no qualifications at all. Yet by law he can install intruder alarm systems and I can't! There is no recognised qualification for an alarm installer or "alarm engineer" as they like to be called. IMHO I can install an intruder alarm system better than most "certified alarm installers", but it is an offence for me to do so. I have an issue with "certified alarm installers" connecting alarm panels to mains electricity, if they are not qualified electricians (most are not!). If they do so it makes the ETCI electrical certification for your house invalid. This means that if you buy a new house and you have certain electrical issues at any point after your unqualified "certified alarm installer" has been connecting the alarm panel to mains voltage the electrical contractor no longer has to stand over the electrical installation. Check this with RECI or the larger ECSSA if you do not believe me!

Some of the best systems are, Astec, Aritech & HKC. All three would meet relevent standards and all three will give more than enough security for your home. How secure? That depends on how well it is installed. My favorite is the Astec. The most advanced is the HKC, but most of the additional features you are not going to use.

Do NOT tell the insurance company that you have an alarm. Telling them will only reduce your premium slightly and if you are broken in to and you have not set the alarm your policy is VOID!

BTW whatever system you go for make sure that the bellbox on the outside of your house is real, not a dummy. This makes a big difference to security! A well known alarm company that uses wireless systems alot rarely uses real bellboxes. The result? Due to the popularity of double glazing, when the alarm activates no one outside the house can hear it! All the intruder has to do is cut the phone line and the alarm can not communicate with the monitoring station! Protection on phone lines is rare. Cutting phone lines is easy and there is no shock risk! Alarm can not communicate + Alarm can not be heard = Useless Alarm!! Food for thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

As far as I am aware it is not illegal for you to put in your own alarm system yourself. I did mine a few years ago with kit I bought from Maplin, I used infrared sensors in the hall areas upstairs and downstairs and contact sensors on the entry/exit points downstairs. I also installed an autodialler that will ring a series of numbers I programmed into it and deliver a message upon alarm activation.

It is very stable and I have only had one false alarm in three years, indeed I am not sure how false that particular incident was.

I would get a spark to connect the unit to the mains though to keep it "street legal" ...

I think the total cost for me was around 350 euro.... fairly easy to install as well...

best regards, baud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yes, you can legally install your own alarm, but you can't install one for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You can install alarms all you like once its not for profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Section 37 of the PSA appears to me to forbid the installation of alarms on a blanket basis.

The Authority according to its website is taking the line that it is ok if it is not 'for remuneration'. This means that you have to do the service completely for free. No free cups of tea, no favours in return.

Also, you must supply the alarm equipment for free or the customer must supply it themselves. You need a licence to supply alarm equipment.

Anyway, what is profit? Is a living wage profit?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You may be voiding your insurance if you DIY it.

Only if you claim a discount for having an ISAi etc alarm installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jpogorman

What are the standard(s) that the alarm should adhere to? Is there more than one?

An Eircom alarm watch quote I got adheres to EN50131-1: 1997 standard and complies with the NSAI certification.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

EN50131-1: 1997 is the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

So is it worth telling the insurance companies that you have an alarm at all? ..but simply install one yourself for your own peice of mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I bought all my gear from http://bobcallander.co.uk/, they're pretty good and much cheaper than local sources for alarm kit. I have installed a Menvier TS690 and a Menvier M800 - real quality kit, and very straightforward to program and use.

Having installed the alarms myself, I have all the alarm codes - usually you won't be given the master/engineer codes if you pay someone else to install.

And since I am able to tune the sensitivity of the sensors, I have only ever had two false alarms in three years (and those were due to the car playing with the venetian blinds and setting off the vibration sensor on the window frame) - compare that with my neighbours and their professionally installed systems... their alarms are always blaring away, mainly during daytime. Seems to be "standard" in most new housing estates these days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i bought house and wired for alarm but not sure how is the best.
    flight93 thanks for advice here but what if i buy some alarm and do some diy. i been looking in maplin and in other stores most of them are wireless and i don't want to go that way.
    my house is in Portlaoise any further advice would be lot more helpful.

Advertisement