Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Units Distances

Options
  • 30-04-2007 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Bought a new kitchen from In-House and expect delivery this Thursday. Going to install it myself but just want to check on a few things first.

I know there are no set rules but maybe some kitchen installers or people that are farmiliar with it can answer me.

1) How high should the floor units be from the ground with floor tiles? (units have adjustable legs).
    2) How high should the floor units be from the ground without floor tiles? (deciding whether I should tile first)
    2) What is the distance between the wall units bottom and the Formica worktop?

Thanks in advance
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Answer to question 1 and 2 depends on the kicker board you buy, with or without tiles makes no difference, just adjust the legs on the units to suit.
    The distance for the wall units from the worktop is between 450mm and 500mm,not including the pelmet.If you have your tiles you may want to adjust the wall unit up or down to suit your cuts. Good choice with the units btw, I bought units from inhouse a few weeks back, easy to put together and the hangers are a god send, great quality units too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Thanks, I bought the same plynth from In-House and I think they are 15mm wide and 18mm thick.
    The distance for the wall units from the worktop is between 450mm and 500mm, not including the pelmet
    Why the difference in size?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Its normally 870mm to the top of the unit but you should be fine to adjust it to suit the kicker unit supplied.On the In House Kitchens when you are putting the legs on there is a plastic stud sticking out from the threads just screw the foot section to that point and you will be fine (this will make sense when you see them).You need to keep you wall units about 1400mm from the floor.Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

As an aside to this, I found (with my excreable carpentry skills) that the pelmets and the top cornices were a beyotch to mitre without a circular saw with a base.

My kitchen was from B & Q and I simply replaced doors, worktop, etc., and added a breakfast bar and a few floor presses, oven/hob unit etc. In retrospect I'd do as the OP and buy the whole lot, precisely because the heights of wall mounted units are not always standard (I ran into difficulty with a full height unit for my shiny new chrome fridge, and had to be *ahem* creative).

Worked out OK after a bit of sweating and swearing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

ThomasH wrote:
    Thanks, I bought the same plynth from In-House and I think they are 15mm wide and 18mm thick.

Why the difference in size?
    Not so much a difference in size as a bit of leeway for your tiling.That 50mm could save you a cut. You may find when you have the base units in and are installing your first wall unit that your eye does or doesn't like the height you set it at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Hey I have to install a small kitchen for a mate out of old bits of worktops etc. Was wondering for pig iron what the ready made kitchens cost say for a small 8x8 kitchen?

Advertisement