Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 200/25 - recommendations for or against

Options
  • 30-04-2007 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about buying one of these used for around 2k or 3k. I am only looking to have the car around a year but will be doing a fair few long (300+ miles) trips in it - are they any more or less reliable than another car of a similar size/value? The one I am looking at is a 2001 model.

Any horror stories/praise welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Rover 200/25 uses the K Series engine which is prone to regular head gaskette failure. If the coolant level is checked very regularly then you might have less chance of head gaskette failure. So you really are at the mercy of the previous owner with regards how often if at all they checked this.

If your doing 300+ miles at a time maybe you should consider something which needs less TLC.

Mazda 323, Nissan Almera, Mitisubishi Lancer, etc will cost you around the same money but will do the miles with less potential problems imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

As bazz26 said the head gasket is a definite problem. My sister has had a 200 for 3 years now with little hassle, but I would say she is the exception rather than the rule. These engines will not take any abuse or neglect what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for a smallish used car (hence the 200) but need something reliable as I'll be driving Cork-Belfast quite regularly.

If you have any recommendations for alternative cars I'd love to hear them! I can go to about 4k (euro) if I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

macnab wrote:
    As bazz26 said the head gasket is a definite problem. My sister has had a 200 for 3 years now with little hassle, but I would say she is the exception rather than the rule. These engines will not take any abuse or neglect what so ever.

Agreed, however tehy can last if taken care of.

I sold mine with over 100k on the clock and had great faith in it. I did fairly regular long runs and it never let me down. The trick was to check your fluids regularly and treat it like your baby (Regular services, don't drive the dog's out of it etc).

TBH I wouldn't have a problem buying one again, but make sure you buy from someone who likes their engines/cars and doesn't give you a blank look when you ask 'How often do you check the coolant/oil'

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OP - you may find this useful.

The topic of cheap Rovers came up a few weeks back here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055077659&referrerid=&highlight=rover+45

• Advertisement
Advertisement