Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please!!!

Options
  • 30-04-2007 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Please!!!

Now that GE is under way could we please learn to pronounce two of the parties names correctly.

FINE GAEL... FINNEH GHAEL... Not FINE GALE... not FINNEH GWALE..not ..FIANNAH GALE.

FIANNA FAIL FEEANAH FAHIL.. not FEENAH FALE not.. FINNEH FAWL..not FIONA FALE

Would that be TOO much to ask

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I can think of a few more pressing issues, but hey, boat - yours - floated - whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'll be voting for Fiona Foal anyway.

SPFiona.jpg

Children's primary school literature is a big election issue for me. In particular the issue of alliteration in character names. Children are our future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Indeed ,so can I,but hey, lets start on the right foot anyway.

It does help to be able to pronounce the party's name correctly.

That would seem to me anyway to be an obvious starting point,but if you don't give a b****x about correct pronounication, boat ..float... whatever.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

but hey, lets start on the right foot anyway.
    start what?
    It does help to be able to pronounce the party's name correctly.
    how does it help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

kbannon wrote:
    start what?
    how does it help?

Well if you pronounce the Tanaiste's name correctly you get

Do all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I could make a job about to pronounce Sinn Féin, but i don't fancy a ban..

:confused:

The same way as it helps to be able to pronounce anything correctly I suppose.

If you want to make up your own language and pronounciation ,fair dues to you, but in my humble opinion being able to pronounce names correctly,would get my attention over someone who seems to think it doesn't matter what way you pronounce things.

seems fairly straightforward to me tbh :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Isn't that saying fair duce?

No! it's not Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How do you know if we are mispronouncing it when we write it? ;)
    That aside I agree in principle but it is not really a big issue for me.

• Advertisement

heh heh... By "we " I refer to general public,commentators,pundits,and general gombeen men who appear on TV and radio.

This post was inspired by a dude on the radio this morning who continually referred to FINE GAEL as

Fine gael, as in fine girl you are,commercial radio stations and RTE who pronounce "GAEL" as "GWALE".

hey, if there is a right way of doing things why not do it???

No need to be a chav all your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

People lying on trollies, violent crimes making the headlines and whiffs of corruption coming through the cracks and what are we worried about? Phonetic etiquette.

:D

Il'l say it for you "Think of the children"

Sure, theres car bombs in Bagdad,famine in Darfur,unrest in Zimbabwe, MU have won the Premiership,Corruption in Africa/Asia/S America et al.

Does that mean we should not pronounce things correctly?

Oh.... theres an earthquake in Indonesia, gives me carte blanche to call "Italians" Eyetalians" and not be immediately branded as a skanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

To the OP, you have little to be worrying about....you say "get it right", I say to you "get a life".

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

On that note, I think this thread has outlived its usefulness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement