Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JavaScript - ALT + Left Cursor

Options
  • 30-04-2007 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Doing an internal web app, and I'd like to be able to prevent the Alt + <- combination that mimics usage of the browsers back button. I've successful prevented generic function and control combinations, but can't seem to trap the Alt + cursor event.

Tips anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

There is *nothing* more annoying than not being able to hit back to reverse out of a page. That's all i'll say as ya have the links you need now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

What do I care why it's to be done. I'm the developer not the designer. I'm told to do something, so I do it. Life's too short....

The balls with the ALT key is that it's not trapped (in IE) until onkeyup given it's a modifier key. However the ALT for the + Left arrow combination doesn't fire an event as it's held down in sync with the arrow key. So by the time I can trap the ALT key the browser has already switched pages.

Anyway thanks for those links. I'll come up with an alternative. Maybe remove the two keys from the keyboard.

Advertisement