Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So many cars Smashed !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Good find.

Would be interesting if they crashed the entry level with the basic safety features as standard and then crashed the top of the range spec with all the multiple airbags and other fancy safety technology, would be nice to present the results to FF candidates in the election so they can see how many people a year VRT kills :mad:

It should be noted that they don't test RHD vehicles!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Good find.

Would be interesting if they crashed the entry level with the basic safety features as standard and then crashed the top of the range spec with all the multiple airbags and other fancy safety technology, would be nice to present the results to FF candidates in the election so they can see how many people a year VRT kills :mad:

Which safety features are VRT keeping off cars exactly? even entry level cars usually get the full compliment of safety features nowadays. I just know from the brands that I sell that standard safety equipment is pretty similar through the different specs, and that the VRT amount involved in upgrading on models that need it is so small that it would hardly discourage people from getting what they want.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Which safety features are VRT keeping off cars exactly? even entry level cars usually get the full compliment of safety features nowadays. I just know from the brands that I sell that standard safety equipment is pretty similar through the different specs, and that the VRT amount involved in upgrading on models that need it is so small that it would hardly discourage people from getting what they want.

ESP - Electronic Stability Program

An excellent demo of which is here: http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/recommendation/stability_control3.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ronoc wrote:
    It should be noted that they don't test RHD vehicles!
    Some of the cars tested are RHD. Usually Japanese cars. European cars are usually tested in LHD.

The crash performance of a car should be similar whether it's RHD or LHD Although the Chrysler Voyager has been tested in both RHD and LHD with LHD cars giving significantly better protection.

OP, I'm surprised you haven't heard of EuroNCAP before, it has been going for over 10 years now! And in my opinion, has made a big difference to the passive safety of cars. If you see see a crash between a brand new car and a 15 year old one you may see this for yourself.

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote:
    ESP - Electronic Stability Program

Are there many cars for sale in Ireland that don't get it as standard compared to standard fitment in the UK?

colm_mcm wrote:
    Are there many cars for sale in Ireland that don't get it as standard compared to standard fitment in the UK?

According to the Sunday times it is an optional extra in the vast majority of basic trim cars in Ireland. Where it comes as standard in most other european countries basic trim models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The search on the Sunday Times site is refusing to throw up the relevant
    article, but if I recall correctly what I read a couple of weeks back their
    study reckoned up to 65 road deaths a year could be avoided if VRT did
    not penalise people financially for purchasing cars with modern safety
    features that only the Irish government would view as "extras".

that's a pretty vague statement.

Lets look at it simply:

Toyota Aygo 1.0 - ESP not available in either UK or Ireland.
    Volkswagen Golf 1.4 - Standard in both markets
    Toyota Auris 1.4 -ESP not standard on Irish model, or on UK model (350 extra)
    Hyundai Trajet - not available in either market
    Hyundai Coupe 1.6 - not available in either market
    Ford Focus 1.4 optional on both UK and Iriah models

Vague statement??

The Sunday Times article quoted the car manufacturers as stating that they
    omitted the safety features in order to keep the price of their cars/models
    at a lower cost price to the end-user in the Irish market. Without the
    ridiculous farce that is VRT artificially inflating and distorting the end-user price
    and true value of a car by European standards the manufacturers would not
    have to strip out the kit and could offer the Irish consumer a model of similar
    spec to the UK for a similar price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

colm_mcm wrote:

Lets look at it simply:

Are you sure about the VW Golf? Irish website lists EDL only and UK website lists ESP (electronic stability control) including EDL (electronic differential lock) on the basic model.

I distinctly remember VW Ireland using VRT as the excuse as to why ESP wasn't standard on Irish MKV Golfs.

colm_mcm wrote:

Lets look at it simply:

Yes a bit poorly worded on my part.
    What I meant was where it is available in most cases it is an optional extra in ireland whereas its standard in England; According to the Sunday Times.
    I went looking for the motoring section from the previous weekend but I think its thrown out.

I think they're sensationalising it. I've never seen someone rule out a car for the sake of 100 or 200 euro.

Here's an older Sunday Times article quoting VRT and it's influence on car safety
    and pricing in Ireland, you can be sure not much has changed:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/newspapers/sunday_times/ireland/article1148485.ece

"Audi said that price harmonisation was a factor in its decision to leave out the feature. The A3, which starts at €25,950, would have cost €870 more had the ESP come as standard, making the car less attractive to buyers. "

and

"John Hayes, Audi Ireland’s sales manager, said the decision was taken because of price issues."

Click on this list of standard features on a Golf base. It's hillarious - and slightly OT

http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=12207720061030&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

"Audi said that price harmonisation was a factor in its decision to leave out the feature. The A3, which starts at €25,950, would have cost €870 more had the ESP come as standard, making the car less attractive to buyers. "

and

"John Hayes, Audi Ireland’s sales manager, said the decision was taken because of price issues."

So they can put it standard on a Passat and Touran but not on the smaller A3 - how strange.

Stranger still that they added it to standard equipment lately as the model was getting older....

Advertisement