Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

renewing a licence thats expired?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Just noticed my licence expired in the 17th of April.. didnt even know!

How do i renew it? do i need anything signed by the Garda?

I rang the motor tax office but they dont answer calls after 1PM !!!

I asked people in work and none of them had to renew one thats expired they always did it on time,,, Stupid me.

Any help would be great

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I wouldn't worry excessively. You just need to apply for a new license. You actually have 10 years from the date of expiry to get the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

While you have 10 years to renew it without having to re-do the test, you're not supposed to drive on an expired licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

get it renewed asap. as the others have said you've 10 years between lapses to renew the licence but you're not supposed to drive with an expired one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thought it was 5 years?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Same happened to me two years ago. Licence was out by a couple of weeks. Just go and renew it as normal. They will back date it to the expiry date of your old one. But do it sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

No worries, just send the original licence and new pictures of yourself with a cheque and the Licence application form (which you get from any garda station) and you get the new one within 2 weeks.. Good Idea to photocopy the old one for your records and to carry with you incase you get stopped, it at least shows honest intent and should get you past the "produce your licence at the station" issue. if you did not need glasses to drive previously you may need a new eye test from any optician. If you needed them 10 years ago they assume you still need them

Advertisement