Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Test Wait

Options
  • 30-04-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Oh ma word, its so frigging long its doing my head in.

I (stupidly) failed my test at the end of July last year, and applied for it the very day I failed my test. I was told at the time that the maximum wait would be 6 months - which would indeed bring me to Janurary.
    Christmas came and went - and still no sign of the date for the test - so I phoned up the test centre*

*please note that there is one test centre number that does all of Ireland. You generally wait 25+mins for the call and they just give you an average date.

The woman told me that it would be March at the latest - so yep you guessed it March came and went and I phoned and the woman said that I would be waiting now till May.
    So now its the last day of April. I'm still waiting for my '5 week notice' for the driving test. I'm due to move in July, so we phoned them again today and I waited 54 minutes on the phone (I have the patience of Job), and they never bothered to answer the phone.

What on earth can I do? Its head wrecking. I can't really plan my move until I get my test, yet I don't know what century I'm going to be doing it....
    (like ma local politican's going to do much either....)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

try and email them?or call into the cityhall if thats where theyre based,it sounds cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Well if it takes over an hour to answer their phones... imagine what they're emails are like!
    No... they have on test centre for the whole of Ireland (as in to call for the waiting list) and thats in the back end of beyond in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Failed on the 17th of July and applied on the 17th. Still no word of a test for me and I'm off to the US in a month. Oh well.....

Oh and I simply failed because I did a test without encountering one set of traffic lights. There was a power cut across the whole of the southside just as i was driving down towards the roundabout outside the test centre. ****ing ESB :(

lol!! ooops! Its so fustrating though...
    My friend failed because he was approaching the 60km sign and he started speeding up.
    Aparently you have to wait till your just passing the 60km sign to speed up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Apparently the average wait is 33 weeks. That's still ridiculously long.

• Advertisement

They only put it up to 33 weeks because when you phone up the test centre you can press I think 4 to hear the waiting times and when I phoned in March it said 26 weeks, yet the woman on the phone told me that she'd had a few complaints about the 'wrong timescale' and I was like well would you do something about it?

They're a bit thick to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Actually, while we're on the subject: Those of you who failed, did any of you have the female tester? Tall, thin, short mousy brown hair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"I need it for work". It might be dishonest, but driving testing in Ireland is criminal so ye'll all be in the same boat.

Another great Fianna Failure / Progressive Dummycrat success story there btw. Remember that when you vote.

adam

No. mine was a man. I think the hot weather got to him. He started asking me about politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Ring the test centre you will be doing the test at itself and tell them you will accept a cancellation slot to do your test. I failed the first time, but I was living literally around the corner from the centre so I told them I could come in any time to repeat it and I got another test within a fortnight - admittedly I had less than a day's notice of it, but so long as your ready for it, that shouldn't matter. A letter from your employer stating that you need the licence for work purposes has also been known to speed things along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

D-Generate wrote:
    Oh and I simply failed because I did a test without encountering one set of traffic lights. There was a power cut across the whole of the southside just as i was driving down towards the roundabout outside the test centre. ****ing ESB :(
    thats pretty funny though very unlucky. i had a fat man with brown hair and i still passed though my door wasnt closed properly after the three point turn i noticed. my nursing uniform paid off. i got my test within three months got a bs letter saying i needed it from work. is there anyone you could get this off send in the application again?

Got my mum to phone - shes an expert in dealing with this.
    So I'm going to get 24 hours notice to do my test this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brunette

any ideas on how to make a complaint about a tester. i know its not going to change the result of my test but the man i had was just soooooo horrible and rude. he doesnt deserve to get away with treating people like that, no matter who he thinks he is. if i was rude to someone in my job id be fired, civil servants shouldnt be allowed get away with it either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Department of Transport?

http://www.transport.ie/roads/drivertesting/

adam

Advertisement