Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours barking dogs

Options
  • 30-04-2007 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi

have neighbours with dogs that are CONSTANTLY barking when they arent home (which is 90% of the time). these neighbours "love" their dogs. dont want to fall out with neighbours over this as potentially they are neighbours for life

heard of a device that u can get that sends an ultra sonic device to shut them up.

can someone let me know where i can buy one. Not really into buying stuff online so if someone could point me in the direction of a shop/hardware store that sell them that would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

heard of a device that u can get that sends an ultra sonic device to shut them up
    Something a bit like this?

You are going to have to talk to the neighbours or get some earplugs. Its thier responsibility not to disturb the neighbourhood, not yours to find covert ways of silencing their dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 unreg123456

hi ferdi

im rolling around laughing at ur pic. have spoken to them before about the barking but they dont seem to care. and i dont think they will do anything. im going to have a nervous breakdown if something isnt done.:) its constant barking and we cant go anywhere in the house without hearing them.

there is a bark buster that roches used to sell but as roches is no longer i am wondering if anyone knows where else i can buy this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

an asbo would make them shut their dogs up!

can i do that without them knowing it was me????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a PI. Moved to accomodation & Property

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭oldboy

wrap ten solpadene up in a rasher and throw it over the wall.

noise = sorted

i dont want to kill them although they have been barking non stop for about 3 hours and im not exegerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is this a valid situation in which to complain to your local council environmental officer conerning noise pollution? Can someone tell us that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/animal-welfare-and-control/control_of_dogs

Barking Dogs

Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. Your District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by downloading and completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986. These forms are available from your local authority.

i REALLY dont want them to know that i am the one complaining. i know it might sound like a cop out but i know how much they love the dogs and they are very senstivie to bad things being said about the dogs. i am living alone and dont want to fall out with them as its nice to be on good terms with the neighbours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

hi

have neighbours with dogs that are CONSTANTLY barking when they arent home (which is 90% of the time). these neighbours "love" their dogs. dont want to fall out with neighbours over this as potentially they are neighbours for life

heard of a device that u can get that sends an ultra sonic device to shut them up.

can someone let me know where i can buy one. Not really into buying stuff online so if someone could point me in the direction of a shop/hardware store that sell them that would be great

Down with this sort of thing.

I understand what you are going through. My precious neighbours had a dog that barked constantly when outside.

By constantly I don't mean frequently, I mean a constant rhythmic 2 barks a second till the end of time/until it was brought inside.

And, they would put the dog out, at 6am, rain or shine, weekday or sunday.

It was driving me demented as it is you, I ended up moving cause the landlord sold the house, though, if he had not, I was planning of moving or killing the dog, one of us had to go.

Anyhow, to any dog owners, in my mind, this is not normal behavior, these dogs are psychotic.

I can understand a dog letting out a bark at a person they don't know, a cat running thru the garden, but not constantly, :eek:

Well if it's causing yourself enough grief that you're verging on a breakdown
    why are you so bothered about upsetting the neighbours? Do you think you'll
    upset them more than their mutts are currently upsetting you? What price do
    you put on your own sanity?

I know what I'd be doing !No offence intended but me thinks it's time to grow
    a pair ;) Now on the off chance that the neighbours are Ireland's version
    of the Krays in their heyday, I can maybe understand your reluctance in which
    case I agree with oldboy's thoughts that it'd be 'unfortunate' if the mutts
    suffered from indigestion.

hi Rigger

im glad someone knows what i am going throuhg. but i cant just move because i own the house and they own theirs. so i dont think i should have to sell up.

its the same with dogs here. they are constant. and it gets to a stage where they are hoarse and still at it which sounds worse.

hi gran hermano

i was kinda kiden about the nervous breakdown. i can see what u are saying but i know these people have had run ins already with other neighbours on this subject and i really dont want to be on their bad side. i can see what that is like and it aint nice. :(

i couldnt help the dogs along like oldboy says i would never forgive myself although i do think about it sometimes.

Guess it all depends on the value of your sanity versus how important your
    relationship with these neighbours. Least you know you'll get on with the
    other neighbours who complained already, I reckon you'll make friends for
    life with the other neighbours afflicted with the noise. I'd rather be friends
    with all the other residents nearby than worried about how I'd be perceived
    by the one neighbour who owns the mutts.

If you live in a managed estate get onto the management company.

Have you ever seen the dogs loose on the street? If so phone the local dog
    warden and state the dogs are out front crapping everywhere. Do you reckon
    they have a license for the hounds?

Phone the DSPCA and say the dogs are mistreated - they must be if they are barking all day ;)
    Sure you'd only be a concerned neighbour doing their duty reporting them.

hi Rigger

im glad someone knows what i am going throuhg. but i cant just move because i own the house and they own theirs. so i dont think i should have to sell up.

its the same with dogs here. they are constant. and it gets to a stage where they are hoarse and still at it which sounds worse.

no no, you shouldn't have to at all.

I'm glad the decision was taken away from me. No one wants to start a war with their neighbours, and it feels like if you say this to them they will take offense.

I think its crazy that this type of carry on happens, have people no common sense? I don't understand how people that have dogs like this can treat their neighbours with such disrespect.

It's just sheer laziness, if you said it to the owners, they would probably say something about 'exercise'.

If they wanted, they could take the dog for a walk, every evening. The dogs don't seem to bark when they are inside the house, so clearly this is a learned trait, the constant outside barking.

I was giving serious consideration to getting a friend to take the dog away, covertly, as he lives down the country, and just leave it a few hundred miles away.

I constantly thought 'What if I had bought this house!? (I was renting), It will be something I will think about when I do buy a house, if the neighbours have dog. If I am looking
    at a potential house and a dog is barking in the same constant never ending manner, I won't dismiss it and return to checking out the soft furnishings, it will be marked off the list.

It's ridiculas that it should have to factor into such a decision....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Its obvious that your neighbour's don't care about your well being,you asked them to sort out dogs and they didn't. Time to show them you are serious,you have to stand up for yourself and your sanity...

Why not print out the Control of dogs-information page and put it in an envelope and push it through there letter box and see what happens.....

mad m wrote:
    Its obvious that your neighbour's don't care about your well being,you asked them to sort out dogs and they didn't. Time to show them you are serious,you have to stand up for yourself and your sanity...

Why not print out the Control of dogs-information page and put it in an envelope and push it through there letter box and see what happens.....

or a halloween Carved Pumkkin with a knife through it and a note that says 'you'.

And these are normally the type of neighbours whose kids run amok
    and cause hassle in the neighbourhood... just as it couldn't possibly be
    their dogs barking, it couldnt possibly be their kids causing grief in a few
    years. OP, when do you decide to draw a line and stand up to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

http://www.radarcan.com/antiperrosgatos.htm

these work

or if you dont live in a cul de sac

http://tinyurl.com/2xz8lr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheJaff

I know your pain only too well.
    I lived beside a family that would purposely taunt their dog from their windows just to make it bark because they knew that it really bothered me and my family. 13 years we had to put up with their precious little mutt until one day it bit their grandchild and they had it put down. It wasn't so precious then. It was the happiest day of my life.
    Anyway I got hold of one of these...
    http://www.biconet.com/critter/superbarkFree.html

It didn't really seem to do much good, I think that was because I wasn't able to point it directly at their garden. I still have it knocking around in the end of a drawer somewhere. You're more than welcome to it as its just gathering dust and I'd much rather seeing being used to shut little barking b*****ds up.

hi thejaff

thanks for ur post. i couldnt take it from you it wouldnt be right. i think i will go around a few hard ware shops at the weekend and see if i can find one.

thanks to everyone for there replies the serious and the funny ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

hi

Hello there.

These ultrasonic devices are useless unless you have direct line of sight to the dogs (10 metres max) with NO obstacles. Even then their performance is questionable.

But this one seems to be the exception:

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/ds_Pro.htm

Please check your PMs for additional info.

Freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Freddie, you wouldn't happen to sell them, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

You gotta stand up to them man....this EXACT same thing happened to me, keep me up all night, EVERY night, for months. Ruining my life material. I talked to a few other neighbors and they were going nuts too. 4 of us called over one night and presented them with a letter, quoting the control of dogs act. Sorted it out straight away.

Victor wrote:
    Freddie, you wouldn't happen to sell them, do you?
    I don't, Victor - but I'm going to order one.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭liamdubh

Kick one of the dogs to death. Send out a message.

(joke, I love dogs, just explain your situation, it's unreasonable, if my dogs bark late while they're out the back I'd bring them back in immediately)

liamdubh wrote:
    if my dogs bark late while they're out the back I'd bring them back in immediately)

You are the exception in these instances LD. When barking dogs have reached the nuisance stage, it usually means barking for hours on end. These ""owners"" care neither about the misfortunate animals or their neighbours, and it's usually the 'small man with the big dog' syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Have you mentioned to your neighbours that the dogs are causing you problems?

Most dog owners would not be happy to hear that their dogs are disturbing the neighbours and feel the need to bark all day. If the dogs only bark when they are alone then how could the neighbours know about the constant barking?

So before you get a death ray or call the cops, talk to your neighbour, its not as if they will not know that it is you when they get a letter from the council, assuming that the council will send a letter without asking if you have spoken to the neighbours first.

If you got such a letter would your first action not be to call to your neighbours and ask if they complained and why they didnt talk to you first, there would of course be the "splash damage" caused by the rest of your neighbours being made aware that such a letter was sent when they are asked if they are the originator.

So son't hide behind officialdom, talk to the people, it might sort the problem, if it doesn't then you can go official with a clean concience. This give you the advantage of gradual escalation, instead of the "shut your dog up or I will make you kill it" (a pet surrendered to a pound is almost always killed immediately - no 5 day grace period, and who will rehome a convicted barking dog, dog warden = pound not shelter)

This is exacatly the kind of situation that can take you from the high moral ground to scum of the earth in the eyes of your neighbours (not just the doggy ones) in two easy steps.

• Advertisement

fenris wrote:
    Have you mentioned to your neighbours that the dogs are causing you problems?

Most dog owners would not be happy to hear that their dogs are disturbing the neighbours and feel the need to bark all day. If the dogs only bark when they are alone then how could the neighbours know about the constant barking?

So before you get a death ray or call the cops, talk to your neighbour, its not as if they will not know that it is you when they get a letter from the council, assuming that the council will send a letter without asking if you have spoken to the neighbours first.

If you got such a letter would your first action not be to call to your neighbours and ask if they complained and why they didnt talk to you first, there would of course be the "splash damage" caused by the rest of your neighbours being made aware that such a letter was sent when they are asked if they are the originator.

So son't hide behind officialdom, talk to the people, it might sort the problem, if it doesn't then you can go official with a clean concience. This give you the advantage of gradual escalation, instead of the "shut your dog up or I will make you kill it" (a pet surrendered to a pound is almost always killed immediately - no 5 day grace period, and who will rehome a convicted barking dog, dog warden = pound not shelter)

This is exacatly the kind of situation that can take you from the high moral ground to scum of the earth in the eyes of your neighbours (not just the doggy ones) in two easy steps.

I'd strongly disagree. Unless you have been in this situation (which I personally have) you can't offer simplistic advice. In some situations the owners of these animals are impossible to deal with, adopting the attitude that the dogs have the right to bark persistently without any regard to neighbours.

Housing estates are built for people - not animals. And these people are legally entitled to a reasonable amount of quiet.

Advertisement