Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours barking dogs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Slight bit baggage transference there?

The OP has not said that these people are impossible to daal with, just that they are nice and he doesn't want to upset them.

There is nothing in what the OP has posted that indicates that the owners of the dogs would adopt an attitude that the dogs have an imaginary right to bark persistently.

There is also nothing to indicate that the dogs owners know that the dogs are causing a problem as the dogs may not bark when the owners are present.

To further simplify simplistic advice, it is inevitable that the OP will end up having to raise the issue with the dogs owners. There are two main ways that this will happen.

1. Communicate informally with the owners, - outcome will be resolution or at worst establishing the prerequisites for an official notice.
    2. Go official, lie about making informal contact in order to get the council to send a notice, followed by having to talk to the owners and explain why he didn't raise it with them informally as both common sense and the law dictates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

fenris wrote:
    Slight bit baggage transference there?

The OP has not said that these people are impossible to daal with, just that they are nice and he doesn't want to upset them.

There is nothing in what the OP has posted that indicates that the owners of the dogs would adopt an attitude that the dogs have an imaginary right to bark persistently.

There is also nothing to indicate that the dogs owners know that the dogs are causing a problem as the dogs may not bark when the owners are present.

To further simplify simplistic advice, it is inevitable that the OP will end up having to raise the issue with the dogs owners. There are two main ways that this will happen.

1. Communicate informally with the owners, - outcome will be resolution or at worst establishing the prerequisites for an official notice.
    2. Go official, lie about making informal contact in order to get the council to send a notice, followed by having to talk to the owners and explain why he didn't raise it with them informally as both common sense and the law dictates.

You are missing the point. I have been through this - have you? If you haven't you have no concept of what actually occurs and therefore cannot offer advice. Simplicity in itself. If both the above steps you advocate are ignored (as they will be in the most problematic situations) what do you then suggest?

The only route left is court - and it is an extremely difficult one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

fenris wrote:

The council will not send a notice, it is up to the householder to serve the notice on them themselves, for this exact reason.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/environmental-protection/noise_regulations/?searchterm=noise

The appointment for the hearing of your case must be at least 7 days later than the date on which you inform the person responsible for the noise nuisance that you will be taking your case to court. You must use a Environmental Protection Agency Act, 1992 - noise form of notice to inform the person or business that you will be taking them to court. It is important that you use this form of notice only and that you complete it fully and accurately.

I agree 100% with everything you've said about talking to neighbours, but, as freddy59 can attest, not all neighbours will react well. I know the OP's case is slightly different, but i can see why freddy59 feels the way he does - personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

That is my exact point - Freddy99's experience while traumatic for him, and probably healthy for him to express, does not have a bearing on the process of getting resolution for the OP's issue, even if you know that you are going to be ignored you first recourse is to follow the process. If you can say that you made an attempt to resolve the issue informally, this will strenghten your case later if things do not go well.

We are supposed to both live in and participate in a civil society,
    some people are not good citizens, that does not mean that we abandon basic civility just because someone might not react in the nicest manner.

If Freddy99's neighbour was willing to ignore official complaints about a barking dog, then I would guess that there were other issues with that neighbours conduct that probably go beyond control of a pet, even if the pet issue became the focal issue.

This thread started as a mechanism for the OP to get some advice on his current issue, I hope that it has been in someway helpful.

tbh wrote:
    The council will not send a notice, it is up to the householder to serve the notice on them themselves, for this exact reason.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/environmental-protection/noise_regulations/?searchterm=noise

The appointment for the hearing of your case must be at least 7 days later than the date on which you inform the person responsible for the noise nuisance that you will be taking your case to court. You must use a Environmental Protection Agency Act, 1992 - noise form of notice to inform the person or business that you will be taking them to court. It is important that you use this form of notice only and that you complete it fully and accurately.

I agree 100% with everything you've said about talking to neighbours, but, as freddy59 can attest, not all neighbours will react well. I know the OP's case is slightly different, but i can see why freddy59 feels the way he does - personal experience.

Thanks TBH. I'm merely trying to offer what could be invaluable advice, (and don't mean to offend anyone) as these situations are extremely rare in Ireland. I was offered terrible advice by someone who should have known better at the outset, but, thankfully, spotted it in advance.

I hope the OP does get sorted as it can be a nightmare.

• Advertisement

fenris wrote:
    That is my exact point - Freddy99's experience while traumatic for him, and probably healthy for him to express, does not have a bearing on the process of getting resolution for the OP's issue, even if you know that you are going to be ignored you first recourse is to follow the process. If you can say that you made an attempt to resolve the issue informally, this will strenghten your case later if things do not go well.

We are supposed to both live in and participate in a civil society,
    some people are not good citizens, that does not mean that we abandon basic civility just because someone might not react in the nicest manner.

If Freddy99's neighbour was willing to ignore official complaints about a barking dog, then I would guess that there were other issues with that neighbours conduct that probably go beyond control of a pet, even if the pet issue became the focal issue.

This thread started as a mechanism for the OP to get some advice on his current issue, I hope that it has been in someway helpful.

I fully understand where you're coming from fenris, but unfortunately the word 'civilised' may not enter into the equation - even though it should. Have a look at these posts:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055059968&referrerid=&highlight=barking+dogs

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055033501&referrerid=&highlight=barking%20dogs

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055029196&highlight=barking+dogs

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055013471&referrerid=&highlight=barking%20dogs

And these are only since November 2006. I'd say it's widespread an that people just put up with it. And for what it's worth (again) I actually LIKE dogs and care for two which belong to extended family for long periods from time to time. So it isn't just a case of people being cranky. It's a last resort.

Advertisement