Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beaten to death by Car-Jackers?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

It's all over the news.
    An Estonian fella and his girlfriend were dragged out of their Golf last night, the guy beaten to a pulp (died on arrival at hospital), the girl could escape and the car was stolen.

A burned out Golf was later found (presumed to be the same vehicle)

Accordiingto the gardai they think that it was a random attack and no other motives were involved other than to steal the car.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Beaten to death for a joyride ??

FFS ...really ... this joyriding thing has to come to an end NOW before this sort of behaviour becomes the norm.

I'm sick of all this leniancy. Well known scumbags are out there, offending over and over again and nothing ever happens to them.

No wonder they get bored with it and "just stealing" and wrecking cars is no longer good enough a "kick" for them.

Now they have to wreck lives as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Appalling but not a motors issue really.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well it is ...of sorts ...

What can you do to prevent this happening to you?

Keep doors locked at all times?
    Install a panic button with alarm and siren?

I'm seriously freaked out by this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Where is it reported that he was killed by joyriders? He could have been killed by joyriders or he could have been killed by fellow non-nationals. From what I read in the papers most non-nationals are killed by fellow non-nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DonJose wrote:
    Where is it reported that he was killed by joyriders? He could have been killed by joyriders or he could have been killed by fellow non-nationals. From what I read in the papers most non-nationals are killed by fellow non-nationals.

From breakingnews.ie
    Detectives suspect the gang, who are Irish, may have attempted other carjackings in the area over the last year but the victims did not report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On the six-one news it was said that "the attackers were believed to be Irish"

• Advertisement

If you are worried about this kind of thing don't park up in places like the back road at the airport. It sounds like exactly the sort of location to stay well clear of. And carry a flare gun naturaly.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

peasant wrote:
    FFS ...really ... this joyriding thing has to come to an end NOW

The cops don't give a **** about car theft/joyriding really so can't see it coming to an end anytime soon. It's a law I think is far too lenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As I'm not from the area where the murder took place, am I correct in thinking
    it's a 'lovers lane'?

Maybe I'm jumping to crazy conclusions here but my initial thoughts were that
    it could have been an attack by a love rival. There's easier ways to get your
    hand on a car these days and whilst I'm appalled and shocked by the crime
    I really cant see the normal joyriding scum we have stooping as low as murder
    just for a quick spin in a Golf.

I reckon there's more to this than we've heard so far in the media.

I agree with Mike, there's no way I'd be parking up in dodgy dark lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This isn't an issue that the Gardai are going to effectively solve any time soon. Its coming to a stage now, where we'd be better off with vigilante groups hunting these scumbags down and beating them into a vegitated state...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think a good question too is, "What were they doing parked on the Naul road in the middle of the night?".

That's not me in any way exonerating the little pieces of scum who did this, but it's generally accepted that there are some places you don't go and park. These pieces of **** aren't in it for the joyriding, they're just scum out to get their kicks - it's reminiscent of that case of the young couple who were beaten and raped up the mountains by 15 year olds. Who knows what would have happened to the woman if she hadn't escaped?

• Advertisement

I don't know the area natually, but I imagine its wasteland of industrial units, brown field-sites, scrubland and rutted roads with almost no-one to be seen after 6-7 pm.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

seamus wrote:
    I think a good question too is, "What were they doing parked on the Naul road in the middle of the night?".

That's not me in any way exonerating the little pieces of scum who did this, but it's generally accepted that there are some places you don't go and park.

The roads around the airport wouldn't be considered a dangerous place to park. A lot of young couples park around there at night. You also get the airplane spotters, even in the wee hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

peasant wrote:
    On the six-one news it was said that "the attackers were believed to be Irish"
    Thanks for clearing that up, the courts are way too lenient. The sentences they have been handing down recently are a joke. That scumbag who killed 3 people while drink driving in Navan only got a 3 year sentence. Thank God the DPP can appeal these lenient sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I hope the gardai gets the scumbags. No matter what the estonian was doing in that area, there is no reason for idiots and scum like those ones to do that.

My heart goes out for his family. It could have been anyone else.
    Wel all did this parking thing in dark areas for some reasons or other, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

As IrishSpeedTraps mentions there is a large parking area on the Naul Road where truckers/plane spotters/amorous types without a dwelling etc. etc gather to do whatever makes them happy, it backs onto the Golf course (easy escape/approach route for scumbags).

I've seen cars there late at night and truckers stopped for a kip, but by 1230 a.m. there would be probably be very little passing traffic, but this is still pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

they have arrested someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

wow........

arrested and let off the hook to continue his skangerways in a few months/weeks*

*tick box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why do people continue to use the word "joyrider"? There is no joy in it and it trivialises the crime and the effect it has on the victim. Call a spade a spade, they are either "car thieves" or if there is a threat of, or actual violence, "violent criminals". Thugs would suffice at a pinch.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im going to rename this thread as we don't know why the car was taken.
    Incidentally two are being questioned over this. Needless to say, those convicted won't get too hard a sentence!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Incidentally two are being questioned over this. Needless to say, those convicted won't get too hard a sentence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote:
    I don't know the area natually, but I imagine its wasteland of industrial units, brown field-sites, scrubland and rutted roads with almost no-one to be seen after 6-7 pm.

Mike.
    No, it's very much a rural and agricultural area (or DAA owned land which is not actively farmed).

Most of the airport Industrial Units are located to the South or East and would not be that quiet at night as many of them operate on a 24 hour basis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Depending on which news site you read there are varying details being reported.

My first reaction was it couldnt have been purely a car jacking as they drove 3 miles down the road and burned it out,pretty pointless:confused: Its also the last place you are going to get a few lads just walking around at all hours on a sunday night waiting to hijack a car.It would appear there was another car involved too so it suggests one thing led to another resulting in the car being taken? If they charge the lads they have in custody Im sure some more details will come out....

Whatever happened they should be looking at life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Definitely. If you drag someone out of a car and beat them to death, it can only be seen as murder. They'll probably plead manslaughter.

I have parked up around the airport several times in the past. My girlfriend was working on You're A Star in the Helix and if I arrived early, I would go there to wait for her to call me.

Also, if I am waiting to pick someone up from the airport, I wait there for their flight to arrive and head round to departures when they say they have landed. Makes it easier than being told to move on by the airport police.

One of the reasons why I park here is because I enjoy seeing and hearing the planes taking off and landing. There are other places I could wait but the young boy in me finds it exciting.

I must stress to people from outside of Dublin, there is nothing unusual or suspicious whatsoever about being parked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I must stress to people from outside of Dublin, there is nothing unusual or suspicious whatsoever about being parked here.

There is after it gets dark ;) Its a KWIK-FITTER's dream as you can almost guarantee half the cars that are parked there at night will be booked into the local kwik fit workshop the next morning for a new set of back shocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Sizzler wrote:
    There is after it gets dark ;) Its a KWIK-FITTER's dream as you can almost guarantee half the cars that are parked there at night will be booked into the local kwik fit workshop the next morning for a new set of back shocks!

I haven't been there after midnight but I have been there after dark alright. Till around 11 or so. Usually it is waiting to pick the girlfriend up so I have no chance of testing the suspension but even at late hours; I have seen fathers with young sons, again waiting for flights to arrive, standing out of their cars watching the planes take off and land so it is hardly Sodom and Gomorrah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Know the area well, I don't believe it was a straight forward robbery gone wrong. It's also frequented by Garda and Airport Police patrols. Has to be more to it than meets the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

kbannon wrote:

You will find that there is only one sentance available for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Assuming they're convicted of murder and not manslaughter. Also "life" rarely means life in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Stark wrote:
    Assuming they're convicted of murder and not manslaughter. Also "life" rarely means life in this country.

from here (citizensinformation.ie is a bit iffy at time mind)

'Of those prisoners serving life sentences who have been released, the average sentence served in prison is approximately twelve years. However, this is only an average and there are prisoners serving life sentences in Ireland who have spent in excess of thirty years in custody.'

12 years...? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Definitely. If you drag someone out of a car and beat them to death, it can only be seen as murder. They'll probably plead manslaughter.
    Not necessarily, you have to prove premeditated intent to kill for it to be murder. If it was a car-jacking, I doubt the intent would be to kill the guy, just slap him around a bit and take the car.

However, I don't believe it was as straightforward as that

Advertisement