Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beaten to death by Car-Jackers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the guys who did this shop be jailed for LIFE.or should be put on an electirc chair :)
    There idiots with no mission in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

From today's Indo:

Estonian 'kicked to death for his mobile phone'

GARDAI believe a young man was kicked to death yesterday because a gang of teenage thugs wanted his mobile phone.

The victim was named last night as Valerii Ranert, a 28-year-old Estonian, who had been living here for just two months.

Senior Garda officers believe a group of small-time thieves from the Coolock area of north Dublin were responsible.

Two suspects, a 17-year-old and a man in his early 20s, were being questioned by detectives about the murder.

They were arrested by gardai yesterday in the Priorswood area of Coolock and taken into custody under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

Mr Ranert was sitting in his Volkswagen Golf car with an Estonian woman early yesterday morning when he was attacked.

The car had been parked in a layby at The Naul Road in Forrest Little, Swords, around 1.15am.

At least three youths were involved in the attack. Two of them kicked in the windows of the car and tried to grab Mr Ranert's mobile phone.

Mr Ranert resisted their efforts as his female friend jumped out of the car and hid in the grass.

It is understood that she fled to raise the alarm.

Mr Ranert was kicked in both sides by the thugs who then dragged him onto the roadside where he was kicked repeatedly in the head.

Gardai said last night it was not yet clear if the attackers had also used a blunt weapon in the assault.

A post-mortem examination, being carried out at the City Morgue in Marino last night by the State Pathologist, Dr Marie Cassidy, is expected to confirm that Mr Ranert died from head injuries.

The thugs made off in Mr Ranert's Golf, which had either a Northern or English registration, and another dark-coloured car.

The Golf was later found burnt out at a vacant itinerant camp at St Dominic's Park in Coolock. Mr Ranert, a forklift driver, had been living in Westend Village in Blanchardstown in west Dublin.

The suspects are known to local detectives and are thought to have been involved in a spate of thefts in the Coolock-Darndale area.

At least one of the suspects was believed last night to be on the run as gardai kept a close watch on known haunts of the gang.

Mr Ranert was taken by ambulance to Beaumont Hospital but was pronounced dead within an hour.

Last night, Chief Supt Gerry Philips, who is heading the investigation, appealed for witnesses with any information about the incident, to contact them.

All of the thugs are believed to be aged between 17 and 22 years.

Chief Supt Gerard Philips said gardai were keeping an "open mind" as to the motive behind the killing.

He said investigators were looking for any assistance they could get from the public, especially in relation to other people who may have had their car hijacked in the area but who did not report.

"We would like to hear from anyone who may have passed that location in or around that time or who was a victim of a similar incident in the past," he said.

Supt Philips added that it was still unclear what type of weapon was used in the attack and if the gang intended to kill Mr Ranert.

Anyone with information on the killing is asked to contact Swords garda station on 01 6664700.

Tom Brady and Breda Heffernan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That's the bit that gets me every time:
    The suspects are known to local detectives and are thought to have been involved in a spate of thefts ....

So why are they out and about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Country is so riddled with scumbags these days that we've nowhere to put them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Am sure there's plenty of room 6 feet down, but the liberals protest too much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Why arent there jails being built for all these scumbags?

The law in this country is a joke, theres no deterrent whatsoever.

Once you kick someone in the head it should be treated as murder, you dont kick someone in the head to rough them up a bit, thats what thumping is for. How can cases like this be treated as manslaughter, if 3people kick someone repeatedly in the head what do they expect to happen the person, its not as if the person will walk away with a scratch.

Theres also a serious issue with assaults like this in Ireland where if the victim doesnt die, but is left completely in a vegetable state, the assailants are usually not charged with attempted manslaughter let alone attempted murder. There is no deterrent for kicking the life out of someone in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

Drove past where this sick attack took place and their isnt even one bunch of flowers there,, im just wonder why not much detail about the car was giving when the are looking for witnesses eg. colour, year etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If the motive behind this murder was the theft of the mobile phone/car
    the book should be thrown at these complete scumbags. I really can't
    understand how murder in the course of a premeditated crime can warrant
    a reduced sentence of manslaughter. Killing someone in the course of robbing
    a mobile phone just illustrates how low the scum on our streets are stooping
    now. What's sickening me as well is how the local TDs are jumping on the
    bandwagon and using this to score points off each other today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its shocking that it could happen to anyone now. How Ireland has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

while installing flame throwers underneath your car south africa style might not yet be necessary in Ireland there is alot to be said for locking your doors when you are in your car, make it a habit (put seat beat on, lock doors) you are then only vulnerble if a carjacker has a gun or baton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think the hijackers smashed the windows. But yes, it is a good idea to lock your car doors when you're in the car. Especially if you're driving around Dublin in traffic. People have had junkies come up to them and try to open the doors in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

vector wrote:
    make it a habit (put seat beat on, lock doors) you are then only vulnerble if a carjacker has a gun or baton

Not a good idea - especially when driving on motorway, national roads, etc. If you're in an accident, they have to smash windows, cut roofs off etc to get you out rather than just open your door.

Yes if you're parked down some dodgy road near the airport at midnight, do it - but for gods sake don't make it a habit as you say. Some of the "advice" on these boards is pretty shocking.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thats not the case - modern cars detect an incident and unlock the car.
    if the door isn't damaged then if the window needs to be smashed then so what! If cutting is involved then either the doors will not open due to damage or else the occupants are trapped inside and cutting is necessary.

As for parking at the airport (or indeed anywhere) people should not feel that they may die because they do that!

Would you risk your life relying on the technology that opens your door when an accident is detected, I mean do 100% of cars have this? Is that really good advice to be giving people. Should you not be saying, if you have a car registered after 2002, and is a Ford, Merc, Toyota, but not BMW - then do this? Do you see my point. I think it's bad advice to be giving to the general public who own a wide range of cars, from different years. A LOT of people don't drive "modern" cars. I know I don't.

Regarding your point "if the window needs to be smashed so what!" - I don't know if you realise, but smashing a driver's window isn't exactly safe for him ESPECIALLY if he's already injured. Broken glass flying everywhere? Err.. no thanks.

Also I did not say "parking AT the airport", read my post again, I said "some DODGY road NEAR the airport at MIDNIGHT". When you are parked on an isolated road, you're hardly gonna be involved in an accident - so locking your doors won't do any harm.

1. I trust the same technology to move me at speed and to slow me down from same speed.
    2. my car is 10 years old and has the technology to unlock in the event of an accident.
    3. I didn't suggest smashing the drivers window. A rear window is more preferable if onoe needs to be smashed.
    4. My point was that (depending on the incident) if the occupants needs to be rescued from the car then it is quite likely that the car has suffered sufficient damage that the doors may not open anyway!
    5. I get the impression from your post that the glass flying everywhere will be like a sheet glass window - it wont
    6. when I said 'at' the airport, I meant the road at the back. i don't know if its dodgy. Its quiet though which is why couples go there. Still no excuse for what happened.

Well, call me sceptical but I don't trust technology unless I've observed it effectively working. Especially when my life may depend on it. So for the time being I'll drive with my doors unlocked. Agree to disagree and all that :)

its no skin off my nose but it is becoming more and more common for items to be taken from cars whilst stuck in traffic. Carjackings, whilst not common, are AFAIK becoming more and more frequent.
    I would not drive with my doors unlocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Cars these days, when an airbag goes off and the doors are locked, they open.

My car locks all doors over 10 km/h and I wouldn't have it any other way. If it really is a matter of life and death and it's so evident in this thread, a window will take only a second to smash.

If you have any sort of a high performance car and you drive around Dublin with the doors unlocked, you are asking for trouble.

Fair enough, I drive around Dublin City Centre in traffic during the day, at night, drive around Blanchardstown. Load of different areas and have never seen or have anything like that attempted on me. Maybe they only pick on elderly people or girls who are easier targets. I know if they tried it on me they'd get a nice autolok to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

You would be so taken back with shock you wouldn't even be able to find your autolock.

You're very naive if you think the eldery or girls are the only people targeted in car theft!

• Advertisement

Well I don't know anyone in work, college, family, friends, etc who this has ever happened to so have nothing really to base my presumption on. Don't know how these things work. They seem to be quite rare, do you have any evidence (besides this case) to suggest it's not only elderly people and women? Or even that it's common enough to be worrying about? I mean a plane could have a fault at takeoff and crash into my house killing me, but it's so rare I don't even worry about it.

If someone opened any of my car doors tho while I'm driving or in traffic I'd immediately react defensively.

MarkN wrote:
    You would be so taken back with shock you wouldn't even be able to find your autolock.

You're very naive if you think the eldery or girls are the only people targeted in car theft!
    Just btw "car theft" and "car jackings" are two COMPLETELY different things.

What are you going to do?
    Someone reaches in and takes your jacket for example. Do you run after them? How long will it take you to turn off the car, close windows, lock it, etc. before you start running? Can you even leave the car there?

kbannon wrote:
    What are you going to do?
    Someone reaches in and takes your jacket for example. Do you run after them? How long will it take you to turn off the car, close windows, lock it, etc. before you start running? Can you even leave the car there?

Again that's not car jacking, I was imagining the scenario of someone getting into the car and forcing me out of the drivers seat and stealing the car, ie. "jacking". Which wouldn't end pretty. I actually agree that you should have your car doors locked when stuck in traffic, especially in the City Centre, my point was moreso about highway/motorway driving. I don't know if my car has that feature to unlock doors on impact, it's not stated in the manual anyway. And my locks aren't electric, don't have central locking, so would err on the side of caution.

Again that's not car jacking, I was imagining the scenario of someone getting into the car and forcing me out of the drivers seat and stealing the car, ie. "jacking". Which wouldn't end pretty. I actually agree that you should have your car doors locked when stuck in traffic, especially in the City Centre, my point was moreso about highway/motorway driving. I don't know if my car has that feature to unlock doors on impact, it's not stated in the manual anyway. And my locks aren't electric, don't have central locking, so would err on the side of caution.
    I didn't say it was! I was referring to theft from the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

I was a witness to a really similar incident in Dublin.

It was about 6 or 7 months ago and i was parked in a petrol statio around 2 or 3am with two of my friends. When we heard screaming. I immediatly locked the doors as a woman ra into the petrol station covered in blood.

Previous to this i had seen a micra drive into a car park across the way and ten minutes later, out again with a 06 BMW beside it, both doing wheelspins and heading towards town at some speed.

She came over and we all got out of the car when she had told us that her boyfriend was dying across the way in the car park that they had been robbed. They too were foreign.

We called the gaurds and went over to get him. he had only a blanket wrapped around him and his trousers were around his waist with no shoes on( needless to say we knew well what was happening before they were attacked)

He was in a bad way. Covered in blood from head to toe and his face was unrecognisable.

the gaurds arrived and he kept saying to his girlfriend that they had not collected his car from the port yet and it hadnt arrived. Obviously in shock! She told the gaurds that they had no money and were waiting for their check to come through in the morning from their parents and were going to sleep in their car that night. All there personal belongings were in the car, clothes, money, passports.

They found the BMW and the micra later that night in Sheriff Street in Town, needless to say the cars had been stripped of all evidence and expensive goods!

But jesus is this what Ireland, dublin, is coming to??

Where are we safe? Is there more to these cases?? Both cars had foreign reg plates. Both cars in off the road but yet the two incidents the cars were found and robbed??

Whether there is more ot it or not, It scares the living daylights out of me.

Where are we safe? Is there more to these cases?? Both cars had foreign reg plates. Both cars in off the road but yet the two incidents the cars were found and robbed??

Seems if you're Irish then you're safe anyway :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

It just scares me that these people had no fear about gettin them out of the car and beatinthe **** outta them and in the latter case killing him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Its a joke, its the governments fault. They wont build jails and they wont hand out meaningful sentences for what are serious crimes despite what the politically correct say. Any assault should be regarded as serious and treated as attempted murder.

Ireland as a country seriously needs to get its law sorted out before things get totally out of control. Theres no deterrent for the like sof them skangers whatsoever hence why they go about their skangers ways so carefree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Do a search on Youtube for "inchicore" and you'll see what's the norm. You'll also hear, from the people taking the videos, that the perpetrators are well known and maybe even "respected" in the community for flouting laws and "joyriding".

There's only one good place for someone who puts lives at risk as a joyrider, or anyone who beats the life out of someone else: landfill.

Advertisement