Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please review my shuttle-SFF build (for gaming)

Options
  • 30-04-2007 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Spec: (from Komplett)

Case/Mobo -Shuttle SD37P2 Barebone, Black, Intel 975X, 775, 2XPCI-E, SATA, LAN, 400W PSU
    CPU -Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
    RAM -Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC5300 2048MB CL3 ,Kit w/two matched BallistiX 128Megx64
    GFX -HIS Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3, IcQ3, PCI-Express, ViVo, 2xDVI/Tv-Out/HDCP
    HDD -Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

I intend to reuse my DVD burner for an optical drive (ATA only) and possibly squeeze in my older SATA drive as well (if power & cooling are not issues).

Anyway this box is a replacement (long overdue) for a 4yo machine that is starting to die a horrible death.

The specs are pretty good for general computer use (including writing code, video encoding, and misc. video playback, including h264 encodes) but I am more interested in the gaming aspects. It has to be practical - I like gaming, my monitor is a big 1650x1080 WS TFT, but I am not interested in throwing stupid amounts of money into €600 gfx cards or SLI, or getting 800W PSUs. DX10 and Vista gaming is not important to me.

There are practical aspects to computer use as well - I don't have the room for big cases any more, I am not an overclocker or a tweaker, and stability is crucial (no BIOS fiddling for me). Summer is coming so thermal issues are a concern (my last box suffered from this over time).

So theres 3 concerns really:
    - can this shuttle box take the power? 2 x HDDs is a possibility, the GFX card and the core duo? DO SFF machines make for practical gaming machines?
    - what about heat?
    - How bout the Radeon? I heard that X1950s are good bang-for-buck cards, but I am wondering if that info is out of date?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yes the Shuttle PSU can handle all that.

Heat should not be a problem for the hardware you outline.

The X1950 Pro is a good bang per buck card though you wont always be able to use 1680x1050 if applying AA to games when using that resolution in games as well. I would consider switching to a single slot cooler X1950 Pro {cheaper on Dabs} as eventually down the road you can acquire a second one and pair it for dual GPU usage without having to put a more powerful card in the case, that should keep things moving along quite nicely at the max resolution. Power wont be a problem either as the X1950 Pro isn't that demanding compared to the high end stuff for instance two X1950 Pro's draw the same load as a single X1950XT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Personaly i would change to the Aopen EU965. The 965 chipset is prefered over the 975. Although, a 300w psu is a bit small, but upgrading them is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i would go for a 8800gts 320mb best bang for buck me thinks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I would stick with the Shuttle because of it's better quality PSU, the chipset has dual x8 slots for PCI-e graphics card as well & the P965 chipset vs the X975 is really little in terms of difference.

As for the 8800GTS 320MB if you are willing to go over the €300 mark then that is your best option it's a big card though it should just about fit inside the Shuttle as a 7800GTX fits which is roughly the same dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Some good points made. I would have always considered dual-gfx combinations to be extravagantly over-indulgent, but I never considered the idea that you add a second card over time as a cheap way of maintaining your system performance.

Well it looks like items are going out of stock, will need to spread my purchases across Dabs & Komplett.

Anyway, thanks guys for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement