Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! *building and hit a slight snag*

Options
  • 30-04-2007 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Sooo *I believe* I have successfully transfersed most of the building a pc obstacles...

And I am blocked on the homerun.

I put every cable in and tried to power up, but it didnt power up, the only cables i had trouble with where the cables for connecting the power switch in the case to the mobo...what bloody order do i put them in?

I've got 5 cables

2 singles. 3 doubles

I assume the double maked +/- goes in the slot marked +/- regardless if the colours match.

then the two other doubles dont have markings on them except one says reset...the other says HDD light.

then finally the two singles, one is a positive...the other a negative.

there are only 3 slots left (when the doubles with no +/- markings fill up the two slots with no similar markings)

all 3 are marked positive. two at the front (closest to the end of the mobo) coloured red and green

and one at the back coloured blue, which has nothing beside it.

this leaves 2 problems

which one of these takes the last positive (I assumed green, because the cable is green)

and where the feck does the negative marked cable go?

These were the only cables i believe I have put in wrong, if the symptons (computer no turn on) matches another problem and not the above, please correct me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Did you turn the doubles the right way sometimes you put them in sideways if you know what i mean.Just put in the power cable and try it the rest can go in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

yeah that what was causing the problem *slap* i thought they all went in vertically.

anyway as you can guess the machine turns on (cheer)

but seeing as i am still typing that must mean I have a new problem (boo)

I can turn the machine on, but it crashes when it is loading xp. there is a blue screen but it is bloody brief and the machine restarts

now I assume this was driver problems, so I started the machine up in safe mode and it worked...installed drivers off the two cds i had (gor gfx card and motherboard)

but its still crashing.

my guess is that its some old drivers i havnt dug out yet...god knows which ones, there's a guide here somewhere about digging them out, which i am gonna dig out myself now.

But again like with the above problem, if someone believes its something else, please do so thanks alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

did you use your old hard drive from your previous pc. As if you have the drivers for your old mobo on the hard drive will not be compatible.

What you should do is boot into safe mode, remove the old motherboard drivers andgraphics drivers, then reboot, and install the new ones.

thats what i did but my guess is i missed a few.

following this guide right now:http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909774/m/1400925745/p/1

I'm deleting all the devices that are no longer detected by device manager.

hopefully it will be done soon (I removed the ones with yellow warning marks first, i assume that meant they were in conflict)

I am bloody lost.

Cant tell which are old, which are new. I thought I deleted all the old ones and rebooted and it still crashes. the two in the guide i have removed countless times.

quick check:

I have countless PCI to host cpu bridge and other varients showing up in my system files...should there be this many (I've just moved up to dual core) or should i try to delete all of these?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Did you use ntune or other software to overclock your old mobo? it might be loading a hardware profile.

go into the bios and load defaults if all else fails run xp setup to repair windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

In order to do a proper transition you must first on the original system;

* Change the IDE/SATA controller drivers to "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers" (this wont work if the drives where in a RAID array)
    * Uninstall all chipset related drivers
    * Uninstall any other drivers for sound, graphics etc.

Now remove the old hardware and install the new and boot.

From what I gather you did that the wrong way round doing the driver swap after the hardware swap this can cause all sorts of grief. I would recommend doing the repair install option in XP first or doing a clean install of the operating system if that fails.

HAH!

the one thing I was trying to avoid doing is the only thing I can do.

I tried numerous times removing every last driver that could be causing the error to no avail.
    From what I gather you did that the wrong way round doing the driver swap after the hardware swap this can cause all sorts of grief. I would recommend doing the repair install option in XP first or doing a clean install of the operating system if that fails.

sort of half right, I did do the driver change, but I believe I must have overlooked one and that is the one giving me grief.

So I tried reparing from winxp cd.
    recovery console was no help.

So I tried to repair the windows XP installation.

that...f*cked everything up

because now.

when I rebooted after the 1st step of setup. It crashes as it had so, but it wont let me into safe mode anymore either.

So I cant access anything on my pc anymore.

So (so so so so) I am forced to reinstall windows on my 2nd internal hard drive.

which (hah! not so) leads to my biggest problem.

I am truely 100% spent on my second chances with my serial number from my copy of windows xp. And my family computer in tipperary, didnt appear to come with a serial number as it came with no windows cd, and if it was on the hard drive...i wouldnt know where.

These will be a fun few hours...

if you are wondering how I am talking to you its via my G5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

DWONLOAD dban and you can wipe ur hdd from dos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well that is indeed a problem.

You can recover the XP key via a utility though without the OS running that is going to be difficult.

You could consider putting back in the old hardware see it it runs if not try the repair again with the old hardware present just to get it into safe mode at least, get the XP key, put in the new hardware and format.

If the system crashes on a particular driver that you can see you can stop the driver from loading through the recovery console by using the disable command, the listsvc command will list all drivers and services as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement