Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me what you think of this...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

2005825112147_578622565.jpg

That I even made it to two minutes is something of a minor miracle. What in blazes was that crud?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

WTF was that? I want my 6 minutes back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

:eek:

I'm shocked at the both of you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Eh......yeah <.< >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Doctor J echoed my sentiments

• Advertisement

:eek:

I'm shocked at the both of you...

You underestimate us greatly so. Who is it then? Which maestro of the curdled milk stole two minutes of my life?

"Iter Impius (Live)" by Pain of Salvation "Be Live(DVD)"

Well, I suppose two minutes lost now but the knowledge of knowing to avoid them in the future is almost a fair trade off.

Now to wash out my ears and eyes with some Chris Goss, Googe and ol Ginger Baker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Karl, I know the song was over 6 minutes long and featured a guy dressed in black with long hair but it wasn't Opeth!

I geniunely am shocked at the responses shown thus far.

Pain Of Salvation are probably one of the most highly reguarded bands in Progressive Metal. They've toured with Dream Theater, aswell as drawn comparison with the aforementioned band, Queensryche, and others. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone disliking them at all, and personally, I find them one of the most passionate and innovative bands around at the moment, creating phenominal concept albums of incredible depth, intelligence, emotion and beauty. Hell, the song I linked to in my original post, practically every time I hear it, never fails to send a chill down my spine as it reaches crescendo.

I'd say the Doc is seriously missing out, because at 2 minutes it's just beginning to build up into it's crescendo. You really cannot judge the song at all.

Even looking them up on www.progarchives.com a whole 3 of their albums are listed on their 20 best Progressive Metal albums.

I really don't throw the word shocked around lightly here either. I know many people would use the word "Shocking" very non-challantly, kind of as a saying, rather than to express a genuine shock, but I do mean it very literally here. I mean, I haven't heard anyone not liking this band, and on numerous other music-related forums I visit, they're highly praised, and oft recommended.

I've just never seen such unanimous dislike for the band. I'd almost ask if this was a joke that you lot are all in on?

Maybe the song I've linked to isn't the best introduction to the band? I don't know, I think that was the first thing I've heard of their's and I was encapsulated. Either way, I would seriously urge everyone to keep an open mind and give them another chance, because they're seriously incredible. Here's a different video, might give you a different idea of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

First video was utter crap. But after watching the second video, its now just ridiculous. Karl, not everyone will like your little band. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I've heard of Pain of Salvation, and the guy is a great singer, the song is amazing, but it's the introduction to the whole song that ruins it. The glasses etc.

I will give them another chance because if they're anything like Dream Theater, they're gonna be something to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

First video:
    It was ok, heard better, heard worse,
    The singer is an annoying ham,
    Wouldn't put it anywhere near on a par with Dream Theater
    The guitar solo was ok, that was about the only bit that grabbed my attention

Second video:
    See above

Archimedes wrote:
    First video was utter crap. But after watching the second video, its now just ridiculous. Karl, not everyone will like your little band. Get over it.
    That about sums it up. It may be only beginning to go somewhere after two minutes but it was the cheesiest two minutes of crap I've ever heard outside of the Eurovision song contest and I couldn't stomach any more of it, crescendo forthcoming or not. I cannot stand that kind of stuff, it's like nails scraping down a blackboard. Two minutes of the second one and the urge to turn it off overwhelmed and the satisfaction derived from stopping it almost nullified the pain of listening to it in the first place. You may compare them to Dream Theater and Queensryche but it sounds like they distilled the very worst aspects of those bands music and made something truly cringeworthy.
    As I walk through the ashes, I whisper your name

Nederlander%20Cheeses.jpg

I hear they're doing some festivals this year, including the Cheesetopia Festival of Cheese, in Cheeseville :p

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Sorry, but i laughed out loud about 1min in or so with the lines:

"Unfortunately no body was here,
    (Whispers) but me-ah"

The irony free combination of the vocal delivery, and the "emotional" performance (look i am sad, that is why my head is bowed) standing in a paddling pool on a stage was too much. He missed an opportunity for some heart felt hand gestures, but the whisper was genius.

I laughed.

Reminded me of Andrew Lloyd Webber music. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had started singing about a multi coloured jacket or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was worried that he might trip over a monitor lead or something in those shades too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

dalk wrote:
    Reminded me of Andrew Lloyd Webber music. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had started singing about a multi coloured jacket or something...

I was thinking of some monstrous sort of Jim Steinman/Type O Negative hybrid but I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. Sorry KH, I think you're alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It wouldn't be much out of place as musical music or Eurovision song contest music or painfully long advert for euthanasia products music or spoof of any of the above music, but as music music goes that was pretty pants, in all fairness.
    20 best Progressive Metal albums
    Personally I would say that music could barely be defined as metal, at best, and IMO is the opposite of progressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

That's a big poo-poo on top of a ball of Edam.

Second tune sounds like Faith No More suckings Satans cock and trying to qualify for Eurovision.

The presentaiton on the first tune reminds me of this for some reason http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3q7Y3fgTIc They should seriously consider getting some style tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Very Eurovision :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What do I think of it?

If you mean from a Health & Safety point of view I think it quite dangerous to have that amount of electrical equipment on stage with that amount of water.

If you mean from a musical point of view I think it's Michael Ball meets Crap meets Eurovision meets Crap meets Andrew Lloyd Webber meets Crap.

Seriously though, it really is awful and if I didn't know any better I'd think that it was you that was having a joke with us.

And as for your "Even looking them up on www.progarchives.com a whole 3 of their albums are listed on their 20 best Progressive Metal albums" comment, that's like saying that Girls Aloud have 3 of their albums in the Chessey Musical Express (CME) top 20. Just because they do doesn't make it any good.

• Advertisement

Christ guys, I get it, you don't like them... No need to say 'Crap' in your summary of the band 16 times to get the point across, or think you're being clever by calling them 'little' when anyone can get their point across just as good without the sass, and a more mature comment about how specifically it didn't appeal to you.

Didn't like the theatrics? I can understand that. Could be considered very pretentious. Cheesy? Yeah, I can see that, but depending on your perspective, cheese ain't a bad thing.

Garbage like this however:
    lol s a big crap poo-poo crap turd crap lolololol!!!11 get over it!!
    Well, I think it sounds more like somebody's kid brother was messing around on their computer when they were out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It isn't too bad once you get into it, but obviously first impressions and all that...

edit: Upon listening to the second one posted, its decidedly better. All in all, not as bad as the statements in this thread would have you believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

Who dares speak about my favorite band in such a manner!

Ah no, I can see where ye are coming from lads, but I think it's because ye don't know what the video is about.
    The first video is from the stage-production of their concept album 'BE'. The album is about the existence of God, and mankind n stuff. The song in the video 'Iter Impius' features Daniel as Mr. Money, a character driven by the accumulation of money and material things. In the song, he realizes his exploitation of the earth.
    So, the singer and songwriter Daniel Gildenlow, is actually dressed in character in the video - the clothes, sun-glasses, wine, etc.
    Visit here to find out more about BE.

BE kind of divided fans so if yer willing to give em another go, try Remedy Lane.

As Karl said, their pretty well known in progressive metal. They toured with Dream Theater and Mike Portnoy features in the bonus material on the BE DVD. Daniel Gildenlow was also in a Led Zeppelin tribute band called Hammer Of The Gods with Mike Portnoy, and Paul Gilbert.

As vocalists go, Daniel Gildenlow is the best I've heard, his range, tone, technique, emotion, and versatility is unbelievable.

I went to Amsterdam to see them in March too and they were amazing.

</fanboy> :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Tell me what you think of this...

We told you. You didnt like it. Change thread title to 'Tell me these are brilliant..' ?

Advertisement