Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malamute Vs German Shepard

Options
  • 30-04-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Well I put a thread on a few days ago asking about the price of a German Shepard. Someone suggested a malamute instead, they are both very hansome dogs. I am looking for a dog that will mix with the one here already, and that will protect the house at nite. Can anyone help???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

Rebel is a German Shepherd/Husky, 10/12mths, male and very friendly. A bit on the thin side but that won't take long to cure. He is a really handsome fellow. Neutered.

pic of dog can be seen on www.inistiogepuppyrescue.com, hes still a pup at under 1 so would be quick and eager to learn. I posted it on your original thread so maybe you saw it but not interested but just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I am looking for a younger dog, one that will slip into the house with another dog easly. But that is a nice looking dog
    Jotter wrote:
    Rebel is a German Shepherd/Husky, 10/12mths, male and very friendly. A bit on the thin side but that won't take long to cure. He is a really handsome fellow. Neutered.

pic of dog can be seen on www.inistiogepuppyrescue.com, hes still a pup at under 1 so would be quick and eager to learn. I posted it on your original thread so maybe you saw it but not interested but just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A Malamute does not make a good guard dog.

In general they're far more interested in hunting than defending territory.

Or they're just not interested at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I do hunt a good bit, was thinking more about the size of the dog, think it would keep most ppl away
    :D
    peasant wrote:
    A Malamute does not make a good guard dog.

In general they're far more interested in hunting than defending territory.

Or they're just not interested at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

err ...no ...:D

You got me wrong there ...they're not "hunting dogs"

They just like hunting ...preferably without you :D:D:D

And as for the size of them keeping strangers away ...that only works if they're actually bothered to show themselves when a stranger shows up ...which they might be ...but they also might just prefer to sleep this one off under a bush somewhere.

Guarding? Not their job ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

malamutes are bloody expensive from what ive seen..1000 europeans or more. its probably more likely to attract ne'er do wells with the intent of nicking the dog

if you want a guard dog maybe an akita, rotty or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Padjo1981 wrote:
    I am looking for a younger dog, one that will slip into the house with another dog easly. But that is a nice looking dog

dont let the age put you off, age isnt always the big factor in dogs getting along..as a matter of fact a pup might p*** the existing dog off more than an older one would. And sheps are nearly always excellent guard dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

For easy trainability go for a German Shepherd, Malamutes are a friendly dog they look like a wolf, a bit stuborn more of a family dog than a Husky.

Malamutes are expensive but their uncommon in Ireland so the breed is relatively untouched by interbreeding by breeders to keep the lines tight! Plus those who are breeding are doing it from good lines

Akita are a totally different ball game stay well clear if you have a family they need expert training from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I have a GSD and I find him incredibly intelligent.
    The look of him keeps ppl away from the door.

A guy from Eircom tried to sell me the phonewatch product one day. As he was coming to the door I was bringing the dog for a walk.

He took one look at him and said I can see your sorted here and moved on!

Had to laugh!

Advertisement