Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately looking for help with my nitro RC car.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You have I assume contacted the seller (aren't they in the UK?) to get sorted out first? You paid them, for your model car, and therefore the "expert backup" is due to you from the seller. If you have not yet contacted them, you should. They have your money, you need the expert advice.

You have chosen a budget car which is pretty basic, and I have seen/tuned a couple of them. It will run ok, but the Nitrotek make requires a bit more loving care than most cars to achieve this, as it tends to "run hot". This is not a problem .. but it means your car will like a slightly richer tuning best to run right.

You could try contacting the model shop in Ennis. I don't know if they will help, seeing as you bought your model elsewhere. But you can phone and ask I suppose.

By now I also suppose the engine settings are all mixed up. Go to the Dublin model shop www.greenhobbymodel.com website and look at the FAQ page for instructions on how to reinstate the settings as best as you can. Follow the first FAQ carefully word by word until your engine settings are back to a " ballpark setting in the region of OK " level.

The Green Hobby advice applies to the Carson make of car which is similar to yours, and therefore this advice will work for your car. However when you do get it started you will have to take greater care to keep the engine cool from overheating and seize, because the Nitrotec has reduced cooling compared to the Carson. So follow the online help instructions, but when it starts, do not lean it out quite so much as they suggest for the Carson cars.

Fuel with 5% to 10% nitro is all that engine wants or needs to run correctly if you want to keep it running cool. Higher nitro than that will cause glowplugs to fail more frequently, and cause a need to run it even more rich than otherwise and that can cause hydraulic lock whch will break your pullstart.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

sup man
    first things first, have you read the manual for the needle settings? if so get in touch with the website you bought it and find the factory needle settings for "your" engine, that is the starting point, when you get this info we can figure out your exact problem.

as for the fuel issue im sorry coolwings id have to go against you its my opinon the tornado fuel will do you just fine especialy if you can only get that brand in limerick, just dont go any higher with the 16%.

also be wary when getting % values off the guys of rcuniverse as most of them are in the states and their fuel is measured different.

so email or ring the guys from the site and get the needle settings, and get back to us.

just my .02c

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I didn't say it won't run on 16%. It will run. But it will get quite hot while new and running in.
    To deal with the excess temperatures he will have to set it more rich on 16% than would be necessary with 5 or 10%.

What I would do myself (if it were my car) is put in lower nitro, at first. Then lean it out a bit more, but still get the same runnning in performance because it is at a leaner setting ... and run it in. Then use the 16% after the engine has loosened up.

What Projectgtr said about settings is very important.
    Read the book carefully, and read the bit about engine settings at least twice :-) With 16% fuel (whatever make) you need to have a new engine at a "rich" setting, so study the manual until you know you have it set up rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MikeGold

Well, now I have another problem. Not to mention that I wasn't able to run it even once, now the wheels are spinning while I'm pulling the starter. So it means that I've messed up a big time. I'm considering contacting the online shop and ask them if I could send it back to get it fixed/checked and started for the first time. Well, I hope that i won't have to pay same cash as for the new car...
    Too bad I'm not able to find anyone in Limerick. We don't have any Hobby Shops in here that I could turn to. The manual don't say a thing about setting needles to the preset positions, so I can only guess. Well, now I know for sure that I'm not able to do it on my own. Thanks for your advices though ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

This is why I stuck with Electric! :D

Hi Mike,
    I'm in Limerick, though I haven't any hands on experience with nitro, I have a stack of RCCA magazines at home, with some good troubleshooting guides for nitro. If you want I could take a look for you? Wheels spinning with the start would indicate a clutch issue, is it turning over at all?
    Shoot me a mail (address is in my profile) and I can take a look?

• Advertisement
Advertisement