Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements to prevent Hair Shedding

Options
  • 30-04-2007 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any dietry supplements that might cut down on the amoubt of hair my dog sheds. She is a short haired G.Shepard & Collie mix and her hair is everywhere. I am aware that this could be due to the warm weather but it has been ongoing for the last 18 months since we got her. she is groomed weekly and rarely washed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I have a lab/springer cross and I have never seen hair like it, could knit a shirt a week out of it and not just during the warm weather, I have been looking for things to help but have found nothing short of sheep shears is worth a go.
    P.S before I get into trouble, I have not sheared the dog

muletide wrote:
    Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any dietry supplements that might cut down on the amoubt of hair my dog sheds. She is a short haired G.Shepard & Collie mix and her hair is everywhere. I am aware that this could be due to the warm weather but it has been ongoing for the last 18 months since we got her. she is groomed weekly and rarely washed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure there is much you can do, dogs have hair hair = shedding.
    Regular grooming will cut down on it but nothing you can give the dog as far as I know.
    There is the seven seas coat conditioner which is brilliant but it's for dogs who need their coat improved rather than for shedding.

Short of vacuming him or mabey getting him to wear a doggy coat around the house nothing you can do. My parents dog is a tiny terrier cross and she sheds like crazy and they stick to everything,they've given up trying to think of ways to prevent it. Her coats in great condition and she's hardly washed she could shed for Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Ye might think this a bit strange but i've been collecting dog hair for a while now. I want to get a pair of gloves made from it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes there is ....

....it's called "Dyson" :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

macshadow wrote:
    Ye might think this a bit strange but i've been collecting dog hair for a while now. I want to get a pair of gloves made from it.;)

I saw a woman on tv ages ago that knits jumpers from her dogs hairs (can't remember what breed, pretty sure it was white/cream hair). For some reason she microwaved all the hair before she knit with it.

And OP, I've 3 mongrels and the lab cross and the short haired terrier cross shed buckets. There's always a haze of black hair on my living room floor. Just take them outside and brush, brush, brush. I see birds landing in my garden collecting hairballs for their nests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Get one of those rubber curry combs (for horses I think?) and they'll pull all the loose hairs out - do it every day and you should see a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Hi for dog shedding you can use apple cider vinegar rinse. Wash you dog in shampoo and when you go to rinse him, dilute the apple cider vinegar in warm water and put on the dogs coat. When the dog is dry the smell of vinegar should go. This will tighten the dogs skin and remove more dirt from the dogs coat, leaving him spotless clean :D

Nicola / hounds of love.

Advertisement