Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 yr old girl not allowed an abortion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0507/abortion.html

Seems she's not allowed travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

complete and utter bulls**t! Its againt basic human rights!
    Have they heard of the concept... eh... freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

roberta c wrote:
    complete and utter bulls**t! Its againt basic human rights!
    Have they heard of the concept... eh... freedom!
    I imagine judges have heard of the concept of freedom, yeah.

Which basic human right is this again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Terrible decision imo.

This girl now has to go through giving birth and then watching her newborn
    baby die pretty soon afterword.

Not something you would want any woman of any age to go through.
    Let alone a 17 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

There's appeal to the High Court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Hope she gets a more liberal judge there.

Tis all a bit cruel and unusual. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

If she travelled to Belfast would the PSNI have any power to stop her flying to London?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0507/abortion.html

Seems she's not allowed travel.
    that's fcuking stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If she travelled to Belfast would the PSNI have any power to stop her flying to London?
    If an official request came in from the Gardai, AFAIK yes they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

the hse went to the district court looking for an order to ALLOW her to travel the ruling in the district court was not that she could not travel but that the district court did not have the power to issue an order allowing her to travel..........

its something along the lines of the district court says she should not need an order and therefore it could not issue one and the hse is saying they cannot let her go without one........personally i trust the court when it says she should not need one therefore i have not been given the power to give one

the high court will review the district courts verdict and also hear the priginal case which is the state against the girl and her bf as far as i know

probably badly worded but i am pretty sure thats what happened from listening to all the news buletins talk shows etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not read this thread so someone is bound to have asked this -

How can she be stopped? She's over 16 the HSE can't chain her to a cell radiator and she does'nt require a passport (only some decent ID) to cross the water.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:

How can she be stopped? She's over 16 the HSE can't chain her to a cell radiator and she does'nt require a passport (only some decent ID) to cross the water.

Mike.

shes a minor until she is 18 and the hse are her legal guardians so they make the decisions for her like a parent would in theory

That raises another question, how can she 'sign out' of being held by the HSE, a guardian could be her boyfriend who's 18+ or indeed her mother (who backs her daughter) even if they are estranged.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Someone earlier said something about her not having the resources to do so.
    No money for travel, accommodation and probably the cost of the procedure as
    well.

mike65 wrote:
    That raises another question, how can she 'sign out' of being held by the HSE, a guardian could be her boyfriend who's 18+ or indeed her mother (who backs her daughter) even if they are estranged.

Mike.

they have a mandatory custody order??? or something called something similar to that ....basically they are in charge of her welfare because either her parents asked them to or they dont see the parents as fit...........giving guardianship to a boyfriend is probably completely wrong to do even if legally possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

PeakOutput wrote:
    they have a mandatory custody order??? or something called something similar to that ....basically they are in charge of her welfare because either her parents asked them to or they dont see the parents as fit...........giving guardianship to a boyfriend is probably completely wrong to do even if legally possible
    does she live with the mother?

Maybe but it makes you wonder does'nt it? One day you are 'free' the next a state body is running your life and it'll take a judge or a panel of them to change that.

Mike.

county wrote:
    does she live with the mother?

no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i`ve a feeling the situation could go from bad to worse and a few people will have blood on there hands

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

thrill wrote:
    Someone earlier said something about her not having the resources to do so.
    No money for travel, accommodation and probably the cost of the procedure as
    well.
    Her mother and the bf and his family will pay. It's not a cost issue

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭PinkPrincess26

Im happy the poor girl got what she wanted in the end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hope the entire ordeal doesnt leave her too traumatised, but I think some good has come of it in highlighting the abortion case, once again I believe it may have helped some realise it is unfair for the state to determine a young girls fate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Hallelujah

For once the rights of a foetus won't be put ahead those of a fully grown woman.

I wonder would the law on abortion be different if men could get pregnant? No doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

taconnol wrote:
    I wonder would the law on abortion be different if men could get pregnant? No doubt
    Yeah, because the reason abortion is illegal is because men want to opress women. Nothing to do with the sensitive issue of ending a potential life at all. You're right, it's just because it's women and not men who get pregnant.

I mean who ever heard of a *shock* pro-life woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's a fairly valid point. Women have always been seen as second to men where politics and religion are concered up until the last hundred years, and even now it's not fully equal. A lot of laws are created by men with little regard to any womans input in the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

taconnol wrote:

I don't think so. Most of the issues come from the whole being perceived as murder thing. The anti-woman motivation would make up a very small part of it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Terrible affair altogether. The HSE are a shower of miscreants. Inept to the core.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

nesf wrote:
    I don't think so. Most of the issues come from the whole being perceived as murder thing. The anti-woman motivation would make up a very small part of it tbh.

Not so. The main force behind the anti-abortion or 'pro life' side is the catholic church, a mysogynistic influence if ever there was one.

• Advertisement

ah just stirring it up

Advertisement