Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fresh coconut for curries, alternatives?

• 30-04-2007 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

I was watching some old cooking programs flavors of India with Madhur Jaffrey and she was using lots of fresh coconut peel or pieces in her curries and for curry pastes. The recipes look great but was wonder whether desicated coconut could be used instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use tinned coconut cream and sometimes the bars of coconut cream that look like soap.
    Dessicated coconut is not very flavoursome in curries IMHO.
    The quality of "fresh" coconuts here isn't very good and I have had many that were rotten when I drilled the eyes out to get the water out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Dessicated coconut will not work! Unless you figure a way to get the liquid back into it!
    You'll be picking pieces of coconut out of your teeth all night afterwards!

The cans of coconut milk are very effective.
    You can get them in most supermarkets - Tesco and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I nearly forgot, a handy form of coconut is dried coconut cream powder, most asian stores sell it, it's very tasty in curries and dissolves easily unlike the bar type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

CJhaughey wrote:
    I use tinned coconut cream and sometimes the bars of coconut cream that look like soap.
    Dessicated coconut is not very flavoursome in curries IMHO.
    The quality of "fresh" coconuts here isn't very good and I have had many that were rotten when I drilled the eyes out to get the water out.

Where are you getting these coconut soap bars?

I used to use them many years ago but haven't seen them in ages, these days just use tins coconut cram but its just not the same flavour burst..
    I remember these in cardboard wrapping with a slinky plasticy wrapping, where can I find this good stuff these days?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Any of the asian markets is your best bet. I use the bars an sometimes grate them into milk. Leave it to sit for a while and you get a rich coconut milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭dakan

Hi Folks

regarding coconut cream and milk out of the tin of carton. When you leave it for a while in the fridge, I notice it congeals into a type of mousse. Especially the coconut milk out of the tin. Does anyone know how to store it so that it stays as a liquid?

Thanks
    Dakan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dakan wrote:
    regarding coconut cream and milk out of the tin of carton. When you leave it for a while in the fridge, I notice it congeals into a type of mousse. Especially the coconut milk out of the tin. Does anyone know how to store it so that it stays as a liquid?
    It just goes like that because it's cold, a bit like many oils do when cooled, except more extreme. Bring it back up to room temperature, or just put it into something you're cooking and it will turn back to a liquid just fine.

Advertisement