Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like car dealer messed up

Options
  • 30-04-2007 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Ordered a new VW a few weeks ago. Deal was my car + 10k for new model with any extras extra.

Now the dealer said to me that the sunroof was standard. He said this in response to my statement that "I don't want to lose my sunroof".

I also remember him saying that it was a like-for-like deal, i.e., I would get the same spec as my existing car.

So, I went ahead and signed the contract.

I've since discovered that the sunroof is not standard, but costs €1,300:eek:

What would be the best way to handle this when I go back to the dealer. If it makes any difference, the salesman is a cousin of my sister-in-law. I suppose I will just have to pay him the €1,300 if I want the sunroof.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Sure the door handles are extra on Vw`s. Why didnt you buy a decent car in the first place, like a Honda. E1300 for a sunroof, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did you get any of the deal in writing or are the details of it in the contract? If it's not written down then you will have a hard time proving anything. If they won't deal then you can always back out and buy elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Probably a genuine mistake on the salesmans part but he should know the product he was selling. If I made a mistake in my description of the car I'm trading, what would happen? Guess I'm just a consumer.

I'll chat to him and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

shayser .. to be honest it looks like you will have to fork out for the sunroof !!

how long ago did you order the car? it might be too late to change the order, if it is in production in VW.

BTW .. I assume it is a Gti you have ordered by looking at your sig, what delivery time were you given? I am now nearly 9 weeks waiting !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

The thing is that this now brings the cost above other quotes I got.

Went in today though and got a good enough result. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing he agreed to add cruise control for no extra charge (€500). This brings the price down a bit nearer to the cheaper quotes I had.

I ordered the car a month ago. It has not been allocated a slot yet. The dealer doesn't know when it will be allocated. Was told 8-12 weeks. Need the car to go to the continent on 28 July. Thought 16 weeks would be plenty, but starting to get worried. Have to have air conditioning for my young children in the 30+ degrees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement