Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

What do you reckon the chances are? If we look back historically (Dev released the old IRA from prison after Cumann na nGaedhal) it would suggest possibilities of a coalition. Also in recent weeks Sinn Fein have praised certain policies of Fianna Fail's while slating the opposition. One of the main reasons, according to Bertie, for not going into power with Sinn Fein was their policy on corporation tax (to increase it to 17.5%, potentially damaging the economy) however when Mary Lou McDonald was questioned on this issue she stated that it was not in their manifesto. Sinn Fein appear to me to be pushing for coalition and if I were Bertie i'd sooner go into coalition with Sinn Fein than the PDs or Labour for that matter.

Opinions needed!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

FF will happily hop into bed with SF if it means keeping power.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Imho yes they will go into government with Sinn Fein if they give them the numbers for the great leader to continue his vision :rolleye:, quoting the fact that they are in Government in NI as the excuse for the u-turn.

Whatever about FF hopping into bed with Sinn Féin,I find it funny that some people use SF as a tool to vote against FF.
    Reason? Well I reckon given a choice between a FG taoiseach ( FG being the "southern unionists as I once heard them called LoL) and an FF Taoiseach-then SF will either abstain or vote for Ahern.

I can see them voting for Ahern once he's nominated.

They might vote against the two of them but they are in my opinion more likely to strike a deal with FF than FG.I can't see Kenny accomadating them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't think Sinn Fein are ready for government in Southern Ireland and I think FF would be much more likely to go with Labout or the Greens than SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite so, FF will have other options. Or no need for an option as FG/Lab/Greens will have enough.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Do SF even have a 2007 manifesto? They didn't about two weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Fianna Fáil would go in with anyone. After all, if all thats wrong with the Shinners these days is their economic policies(apparantly thats all thats wrong with them), then whats stopping Bertie going in with them, once they patch up on that issue? Labour and the PDs are very different parties, on quite a number of levels, yet Fianna Fáil was happy to do business with them, werent they?

I should add that Sinn Fein have not yet launched an election manifesto, or maybe thats because all they are interested in is ''saoirse'', and Brit-bashing,though they still believe in ''Equality'', more like a la carte equality it seems,which is pretty much their attitude on policing in NI too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The fact that Bertie publically stated that he would never go into government with SF means, when you put it through a politics=truth translator, that there is a very strong possibility that they will go into power together.

However, with regard to Tristrame's point, I think that all the parties are prepared to get into bed with each other (except the PDs, who are FF minions and nothing more), and power, not policy, will determine who goes into coalition with whom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i've said it before and i'll say it again theres something i can feel in my waters that makes me think SF and FF will be the next coalition government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

*sigh*

How many times do I have to say it?

Anyway the people will decide on May 24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Chakar wrote:
    *sigh*

How many times do I have to say it?

Anyway the people will decide on May 24.
    Well they will and they won't, if no Party gets a majority on its own a deal will have to be brokered and thats not something the public will have much control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

What do you reckon the chances are? If we look back historically (Dev released the old IRA from prison after Cumann na nGaedhal) it would suggest possibilities of a coalition

That's the second time today I've seen someone pull the de Valera Card on Fianna Fail.

It makes as much sense as punching Tony Blair in the face and calling him a Black & Tan.

Fianna Fail is not Eamonn De Valera/ He may have started them off but it's different people there now.

E92 wrote:
    I should add that Sinn Fein have not yet launched an election manifesto, or maybe thats because all they are interested in is ''saoirse'', and Brit-bashing,though they still believe in ''Equality'', more like a la carte equality it seems,which is pretty much their attitude on policing in NI too.

Still no manifesto? Do they plan on surprising us at the polling booth? Or are they just going to rely on clever rhetoric and mix and match policies? It really is a joke that they haven't announced their manifesto at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I saw Gerry on TV on Sunday and he was far from assured . Waffle of the highest order tbh. As I've said elsewhere SF are surefooted on all things northern but come across as not really having a clue when they step outside that. All the parties are making policy announcements or pushing policies today , whereas Gerry and Martin are going on a bus tour. I don't think they are ready for it and I can't see it happening under any circumstances this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

irish1 wrote:
    Well they will and they won't, if no Party gets a majority on its own a deal will have to be brokered and thats not something the public will have much control over.

I have the fullest confidence that Mr. Bertie Ahern will not accept Sinn Fein support. That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

miju wrote:
    i've said it before and i'll say it again theres something i can feel in my waters that makes me think SF and FF will be the next coalition government.
    You don't live in Galway do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senator

Sinn Féin supporters (and potential voters) are talking up their own chances of a coalition with Fianna Fáil on these boards and others. That is an indication of how "respectable" and "harmless" - in relative terms - SF have become.

So, why bother voting SF ? Just vote FF and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

The problem with a FF/SF combination is that there is a very large block of people (cross party) who will vote against any party that goes into coalition with SF. If FF go into coalition with SF, that block is lost to FF for the forseeable future - I think Bertie is smart enough to know that there is no point in gaining power in the short term to see FF lose 10/20% support in the long term.

Senator wrote:
    Sinn Féin supporters (and potential voters) are talking up their own chances of a coalition with Fianna Fáil on these boards and others. That is an indication of how "respectable" and "harmless" - in relative terms - SF have become.

So, why bother voting SF ? Just vote FF and be done with it.

They definitely look like less of a protest vote when you put it like that. Strange how the usual crowd aren't in defending SF's lack of manifesto and their hopes of government...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Probably not this time but the next time out if things are well bedded down in the North and the IRA are more of a memory than anything else then they will but at that stage FG would as well.

Remember that Bruton said no way to the DL before spring hopped in with FF when Spring came back just 2 years later Bruton had no objection to the DL becausew it was his only chance of power.

Also remember that the Labour party eliminated the threat from the left that was DL by bringing them into the tent DL were then establishment and no longer a protest vote. ( Although they may have reverse taken over the labour party after that)

Chakar wrote:
    I have the fullest confidence that Mr. Bertie Ahern will not accept Sinn Fein support. That's my opinion.
    He can't stop them voting for him as Taoiseach-so it's not a matter of acceptance.
    It's a matter of nudge nudge wink wink, wheres that new school you want again?

brianthebard, SF are trying to have an each-way bet on this election. They tell one set of potential supporters, usually in the estates of inner cities and towns, that they are radical and will "shake things up". Meanwhile, their leadership is out assuring business leaders that in government they will not frighten the horses and know which knife and fork to use. No surprise really to anyone who knows Irish history - Fianna Fáil did exactly the same when they came in from the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 GarraiGamhain

This is the very reason why people should not vote for fianna fail.

Try telling 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Sinn Feins manifesto is on its way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

If I ever live under a SF government, I'm leaving the country and declaring an citizenship in a country that will let me. I'll feel safer in Iran.

Yes, can't you just see SF getting their hands on all the Depts. of Justice, Foreign Affairs and Defence files !!!

Senator wrote:
    Yes, can't you just see SF getting their hands on all the Depts. of Justice, Foreign Affairs and Defence files !!!

Didn't FF get their hands on those and the world carried on people were saying the exact same thing back in the 30s and lets not forget that when FF entered the Dail they were armed because tensions were so high.
    Honestly it is just history going around again. If they can be in charge of policing and security in the North(eventually) and they are now taking their places on the policing boards it is only a matter of time before they are in power in some form here either under their own name or ala OSF/SFWP/WP/NA/DL under some other name.

• Advertisement

Dontico wrote:
    If I ever live under a SF government, I'm leaving the country and declaring an citizenship in a country that will let me. I'll feel safer in Iran.

Start looking for a house in the Tehran area now before the property market takes off.

Advertisement