Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Dontico wrote:
    If I ever live under a SF government, I'm leaving the country and declaring an citizenship in a country that will let me. I'll feel safer in Iran.
    After ten years of FF/PD government, I would already feel safer in Tehran than in parts of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

This bandwagon theory of ''Iam leaving the country if SF get into power'' is crazy. Whats the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I would rather not live in a country governed by people who have no idea how to govern (such as recommending an ammendment be placed in a piece of legislation forcing the President to Article 26 it to the courts) with ethics and morals that I find repulsive (such as petitioning for the release of murderers of gardaí, party members "not being authorised" to condemn said murder, murder of extended family members in similar circumstances, maintaining ties with a private army...)

That's before we get to policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Ibid wrote:
    I would rather not live in a country governed by people who have no idea how to govern (such as recommending an ammendment be placed in a piece of legislation forcing the President to Article 26 it to the courts) with ethics and morals that I find repulsive (such as petitioning for the release of murderers of gardaí, party members "not being authorised" to condemn said murder, murder of extended family members in similar circumstances, maintaining ties with a private army...)

Here here. Excellent points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

E92 wrote:
    which is pretty much their attitude on policing in NI too.
    and down here: ask jerry mccabes widow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Quick question guys,

Why does the government here (and a lot of people living here) find it acceptable for Sinn Fein to be in government in the North but say they wont except it in the Dail?

Seems like double standards to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Quick question guys,

Why does the government here (and a lot of people living here) find it acceptable for Sinn Fein to be in government in the North but say they wont except it in the Dail?

In Northern Ireland the priority has been Peace. You need Sinn Fein for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Quick question guys,

I don't like the fact that they are in power up in Northern Ireland, I'm sure I am not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

gandalf wrote:
    I don't like the fact that they are in power up in Northern Ireland, I'm sure I am not the only one.

Definitely not. How can one vote for a party you don't trust? The party has too many criminals, ridiculous "economic policies" and their stance on the Jerry Mc Cabe murder is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ibid wrote:

Agree with everything said here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'm sick of hearing this question. Its like comparing chalk and cheese, as to why they are ok in NI but not in Ireland. Its a very different political climate as we all know in NI. In NI they are trying to integrate two communites that have been fighting and doing all sorts of stuff, and making a big deal if one of their 'own' gets killed/savagely attacked etc but when a member of the 'enemy' is murdered/savagly attacked there is a remarkable silence from both sides. SF and the DUP were dragged into this executive kicking and screaming. If there was no such thing as power sharing, there would be either direct rule from London, or else the Unionists would have an overall majority, and those up in NI know what that lead to. Sinn Fein have to be in Government, distasteful and all as it is, or else they and the SDLP cant ensure that their communities are treated in the way they oince were. I mean if I were in NI the idea of SF in Government is repulsive to me, but so is the idea of a unionist majority, cause as I said, we know what happened in the past there, and if theres direct rule well the Brits are not going to be bothered too much by NI, so why would you want that?

In Ireland it is very different. We have a normal system of government in this country. Therefore the most popular party or combination of parties gets to govern. Theres no fear that gerrymandering would happen in this country or that different parts of the country hate other parts or traditions of others. Therefore we dont need nor want Sinn Fein in government. They will not be an acceptable part of a government to me now, and nor for the forseeable future.

NI is a special case, therfore they have to be in, but as Ireland is similar to other European contries, its a completely different ball game. This fact is conveniantly forgotten by Sinn Fein (or anyone else who tryies to make same) whenever they make this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If Fianna Fail get back in I'll strongly consider emmigrating. If they go into coallition with Sinn Fein, there'll be no consideration.

Criminals have no place in government*.

*I'm quite aware how naieve that statement sounds in this country.

Advertisement