Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions...

Options
  • 30-04-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Right I got my mobo today so that just leaves the 8800 to come along before my pc is finished!!!!! :D

Anyways as I was building today I had a few little problems..

When I was closing the socket cover for the cpu I had to put a fair bit of force into it for it to fully go down! Im sure I had it in the right way! Is this normal?

The thermal paste now I used a rice sized bit of paste and spread it with my atm card? Now its basically less than paper thin on the cpu is that ok?

Another problem was the internal connecters... I have the power and reset switches in! The audio ones are causing me problems! Theres no corresponding things to match them up.. Like with the other connections! I have an X-Fi xtreme gamer sound card will I have to connect them to the card or the board itself?

(ill be able to post pictures tomorrow on as im in work now..)

Also lol a funny question could ruin everything can I get a static shock of ram just out of the packet? I felt something.. It might have been nothing but I said id ask! I was holding the motherboard before hand and felt nothing..

Thanks

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

DeafVision wrote:
    When I was closing the socket cover for the cpu I had to put a fair bit of force into it for it to fully go down! Im sure I had it in the right way! Is this normal?

I was surprised at how much force it requires too, so I suppose it is normal.
    DeafVision wrote:
    The thermal paste now I used a rice sized bit of paste and spread it with my atm card? Now its basically less than paper thin on the cpu is that ok?

I have found this method to be lacking in my most recent build (there were gaps). I'd recommend reading the instructions on the arctic silver website. They're top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

ill post up pictures now in a second...

Picture031.jpg

Now... I hope its ok.. I don't want to have to take off the fan again.. loads of force to be had there aswell lol I don't like the forcing idea..

Right so... I powered her up and she turned on and no beeps or anything so she must be good.. I have no graphics card yet so I cant get the picture to tell but everything seems ok! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That thermal paste looks fine but you might want a tiny bit extra along the sides there, it looks fairly sparse. The force is normal. You don't really need to connect any audio cables to your card for it to work, I just left mine out as they were, tied them back and stuck them up at the top of my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The X-Fi cannot be connected to the front port audio connections without a special adapter that Creative do not sell* but it is possible to make your own.

Everything else looks okay & force is normal.

* Well they do to certain system builder companies but as far as I know it is not publicly available.

• Advertisement

Yea I used the sound card you get with the mobo to check if there was any beeps or anything and there wasnt so all is good so far!

ugh.. I WANT my 8800 now... so bad to play with this beast lol :D

Advertisement