Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

j1- san fran

• 30-04-2007 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

hey everyone, i know i psted something simular in the main travel section awhile bach but i thought i'd christen the new fourm.
    i'm going to san fran for the sumer with some mates and as of now we still have nowhere to live, don't mind living in the city or berkely, if anyone has any ideas, contact, email addresses or anything we would be very greatful.
    even if your going and fancy sharing a house ( a big house, think there is like 6 of us or something) let me know.
    thanks.

Comments

I was originally supposed to go to San Fran.It was recommended to live in the city as Berkeley is wee bit too far from the action.Especially during the summer when all the students have gone home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah, stay away from Berkeley. Not a bad place but you'll just end up surrounded by other J1ers and Berkeley doesn't have the big city vibe that San Fran has.

Accommodation will be hard to find in the city but it'd definitely be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

A a gang of 8 or 9 of us are heading still nowhere to live either and no jobs. Told it won't be too hard though. Checking craigslist everyday for somewhere in the city. Berkley has place but is too far away from the city for our liking. Think we'll probably just chance it in the end anyway as it's too hard to knw what areas or good or bad or far from things etc..

Alessandra wrote:
    A a gang of 8 or 9 of us are heading still nowhere to live either and no jobs. Told it won't be too hard though. Checking craigslist everyday for somewhere in the city. Berkley has place but is too far away from the city for our liking. Think we'll probably just chance it in the end anyway as it's too hard to knw what areas or good or bad or far from things etc..
    Try get somewhere near Castro street!:D
    Heard they have interesting characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Somehowow I don't think we'd fit in there. I'm clueless but not that clueless:p

• Advertisement

There is an old thread about people in San Fran.Hope it helps.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055034915&referrerid=&highlight=san+fran+j1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bad areas in San Fran... anywhere in and around Market Street, known as the tenderloin.

I was close to taking an apartment in Fillmore before I looked up the area on google and found it was supposed to be a sh*thole. I spent February-April looking for apartments on craigslist but nothing suitable ever came up in the city. Just settled for a place in Berkeley in the end, although it was actually on the Berkeley/Oakland border so we weren't in Berkeley or San Fran and it was a crap location.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭arcade1

i've been looking for places in the Sunset district (i quite fancy living some what near the beach) but no luck yet, going to try shove six of us into a 3bedroon app. it seems like a nice place, plus it near afew golf courses so might check them out for afew jobs, cadeying and the likes.
    heard north beach is nice but i'm not so sure, on google maps it looks like is all piers and stuff. anyone know anything about it?

Advertisement