Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So...5 weeks to go, how are is everyone doing?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Yeah I know this thread or similar thread have been done before but yeah whatever.

Well for myself im doing ok i suppose. I need to get 355 points but want to get 400 to be safe.

English Higher Level - Need to put in alot of work for this, this is the exam im dreading the most, its one of those exams where you dont really know how you have done, I just hope no dodgy questions come up.

Geography Higher Level - Also a subject i need to put in alot of work for, always thought of this subject as grand A1 no bother, my 36% in my pre has opened my eyes a bit, really need to start writing out essays and the like.

Physics Higher Level - Been doing a good bit of work on this lately, I just hope the aspects that im going to cover will come up.

Economics Higher Level - Also been doing a bit of study in this subject lately too, im pretty confident i can get a good grade in this, Im just going to study micro alot and do all the micro questions that come up (hopefully 3 or 4), then study a few random macro questions as back up.

Maths Ordinary Level - Pretty happy with this, got 88% in my pre, confident that i can get the a1.

Irish Ordinary Level - I wouldnt mind getting an A in this either or at least a high B, would need too put work into my sceals and litirs for paper one, but paper 2 should be fine if i learn some stuff.

German Ordinary Level - Oral was a disaster, i dont think i will bother studying this as it will be my lowest scoring subject which is a pity because i always liked the language and got a C in my junior cert honours, but due to a terrible teacher in 5th year, all my knowledge of german was taken away from me.

Im thinking if i get 4 B3's in my honour subjects which is 75 points each makes
    300 points, the a1 in maths will be 60 and then whatever i get in Irish should make me safe, and maybe reach the 400 mark.
    Still need to put in alot of work though and i cant afford a slip up in a higher level paper, so i must get the head down and be lucky on the day!

How are all ye getting on at this stage?

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well i have to say i think i'm gettin on alright, I'm Looking for 435 but 450 to be safe. i got 420 in the mocks and i made a right mess of English which i'm working at:rolleyes: , the one thing i'm worried about is higher maths, i'm hoping to do engineering, each of my level 8 courses requires a C3 so i've been working non stop at maths.
    At this stage i just want it to be over, just the stress of it all...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I was doing okay up until a few days ago, when I started panicking about points and suchlike. Need 530 to be safe really, got 480 in the mocks. Hoping I can pull off an A or 2 in language subjects (I'm doing three apart from English) and high Bs in History and Biology.
    Can't wait for it to be out of the way, but also wish I had a lot more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Im having a breakdown here, like everything was going fine for me, i thought I was on the way to get 300 in the mocks, however in a complete shock I failed History despite thinking i got at least a b3. Im kind of going through a period where im wanting to study so bad, but nothing is going in. I need 350 got 245 in the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

however in a complete shock I failed History despite thinking i got at least a b3.

That happened to most of my class. We were all really confident of getting As or Bs. I got 62% after thinking I'd get at least a B2, my friend who thought the same passed by 2%. Just try and keep it together, you still have a month, and with constant work, it should all work out for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I'm ****ting meself about history, business and french. I need a distinction in lcvp to have any chance of getting the 450ish points I'd like, 420's what I need though.

With history, there's so much to cover on the bloody course. I'm banking on the case studies and the essay to help me get any sort of a grade.

Business isn't as bad as history as I find the course a lot easier with loads of common sense in it. I only scraped a pass in the mocks though.

French needs a hell of a lot of work to be done on it. In fairness, I've done damn all for five years and probably deserve to get around 50% like I did in the mocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

English Higher- Need to do a bit of work, but mainly in poetry. Not taking anything from the Mocks, corrected awfully. But I know where I need to pick up, and I'll get around to it.

Maths higher-going through everything again and again and again and again and again and again, but still definately need to bring up my score from the mocks. Really want to get an honour in it, then I'd be happy.

Irish Ordinary-Paper 1...very easy. Paper 2...disaster. Despise poetry in english, so this stuff is nigh on impossible. Although we are going back over everything again, so should hopefully do ok.

Accounting higher-Practise is making perfect. Am well able to do section 1 & 3, and half of section 2, so that only makes one more question needed to be learnt very well. Doing amazing amount of revision in that.

History Higher-Supposedly have done a very good research topic, so can get plenty from that. Doing minimum 4 essays a week, and then one in a religion class. If last two tests are anything to go by, I could get an A, but cos they're not, I might not. Hopefully get a B anyway.

French Higher-Teacher back now, assistant was good, but not enough knowledge on full details of LC course. Practising past papers everyday now from here on in, doing all those abstract topics, so should hopefully do ok. Might sneak a B

Physics Ordinary-Am doing plenty of work in class, just keep practising past papers and experiments. Should hopefully do well in it. If all goes well, could sneak an A.

So, from honours subjects(5), if I get 1 A, 1 B, and three C's, that makes a minimum of 345. Then from the one ord level score, hopefully get around 50 for that. But things may happen. Need around 350-360 for the course, but would like to get 400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Just taking each day as it comes, being relaxed and going with the flow. Lol. Give it a week til the nervous breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Everything - BORED. I wanna do the LC NOW so I can get it over with while the stuffs still in my head!!!! and before the weather gets any more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I'm taking a fairly relaxed attitude to the Leaving, by which I mean I'm not shítting myself. I know what my capabilities are and I know I've been working hard in all subjects so I'm expecting/hoping for great results all round. To be honest I haven't exactly been studying non-stop but I'm getting the work done. Nevertheless for the next 4 weeks I'm planning to up the workload significantly. So long as I go into the LC knowing I've done the best job I possibly can I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Need to go up by 105 points, which sounds stupid, but I'm fairly confident that I can.

Eng HL- Want a B1, confident in that, still have a slight timing problem in paper 2, need to cut down the comparative further, to leave more time for unseen. If it's a deadly paper, might be able to manage an A2.

Irish HL- Looking for an A2, didn't go to an Irish school or anything, but I'm really good at Irish, got 73 in the mocks, and If I cram An Triaill, the poems and stories, should be able for the A2. And learn off some essays..

Maths OL- Not counting it. I can get a C1 without effort, so yeah, grand.

French HL- It's not great, might have to settle for a C1. Mixed about how the oral went- depends on whether I'll be marked down for my frantic pauses. Listening should be alright, and I'm good at comps. Need to learn off stuff for the long questions.

Biology- Used to be a disaster, but grinds have really helped. Grinds should pull it up to a B2, and if the paper's nice, a B1 hopefully. I understand loads more concepts than I did for the mocks.

History- Hoping for an A2. Irish history is my weak point, hoping for a question that isn't FF or Northern Ireland. Timing is just about okay, thank god. RSR was fine as well, shouldn't be too far off full marks.

Geog- Field Study was fine, unless they pull my cohesion marks for going over the wordcount- by 153 words. it really doesn't look like I did though...Need to up by SRP's all over the place, hoping for the A1...

I SHOULD just about scrape what I need..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doria gray

First post ever... gulp. Well i got 425 in the mocks, long story but i think im capable of about 500 (need 475*) in the real thing, i wonder if thats a bit un resonable but im going to try at least :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

the real worries are what am i going to do after the leaving?? i can't remember not being in the leaving cert like.... i said i'd treat myself today and have a break from any heavy studying after the lcvp.... and like i feel weird.... i know after the exams i'm just going to be sitting there... .thinking i should be studying... i don't know like..... repeating's prob best i say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I've gone past the nervuous breakdown phase. I think for me it was the orals. I really wanted to do well in them, but feel I didn't go as far as my potential.
    Anyway, I only need 350 and I got 330 in my mocks, so I'm pretty sure I'll get the points i need, should my French & English papers me handy enough this year. French HL was murder last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Well I need about 400 points....and I only got bout 300 in the mocks (although that was only from 5 exams.Am planning on counting the 50 points from my LCVP merit in the actual thing so I didn't bother adding the points from my 6th exam into my mocks total).Still though it should be grand.The german oral, and history research project will bring me up by about 20%+ and 17%+ in both of those subjects (in that order), which will bring me up by about 30-40 points overall.Then i'm sure all of my grades will go up by at least 5% each anyways, so I should get the 400 needed with moderate ease.

Oh and I still haven't really started studying yet.Am only really just practicing german and economics exam questions, but I'm going to really start studying after my school's prizegiving (am just going to stay at home and cram, cram, CRAM every hour of every day till the leaving......should be fun).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Not too bad here

English HL : Not too bad just need to read over some of the first poets we did and Macbeth to really refamiliarise myself again

Irish HL: Had a good teacher. Now we have a really bad one. Oh well! Thankfully we had most of the course already covered. Just need to do a couple of papers and questions on individual pieces and I should pass. This will probably not be one Ill use the points from anyways.

Maths HL: Have the course finished at last expect a decent grade . A C or a B. Probably the subject Ive done the most work in.

Geography HL Got A2 in mocks without having covered our elective or our option. Project was good . Hopefully one of my highest scorers.

Phys/Chem HL Easiest subject im doing and I get a 5 day gap between it and my last exam before that. Confident of an A

Biology HL: Probably havent done enough study for this but have decent knowledge of subject. Expect a C or B

French HL: OK . My french is definitiely getting better. A pass would be good enough for me.

LCVP: ITS FINISHED HOORAY. Expect a distinction tbh as nothing really seemed that hard but i could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

hoping to get A's in phy chem bio mat and app maths. will settle for a B in tec drawing. irish and english dont matter for points but i would like to get a high C or low B. im hoping to study med next year so the points are fairly high!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

hoping for 3A1's and a few B's which should bring me above the 500 mark. A1's for:

home-ec, business and geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Math HL = subject I do the least amount of study for, the homework our teacher gave us over the last 3 years is paying off, we have completed every question in oliver murphys book! Weve been getting three exam questions a night for homework so I dont really need to study. Should get an A1.

Eng HL = subject I need most work in, Ive only properly studied Kavanagh and Plath so Ill need to work loads of the others. Got a B1 in the mocks but that was because I got lucky with what I studied. Also need to do out some good essays for Paper 1.

Irs OL = ordinary level, enough said. :D

Fre HL = was going to count this as my dud HL subject, but my oral went really really well, so Ill hopefully get a B in this. (counting on an ok aural)

Chem HL = was ****ting about this around the mocks, but lately its all been coming together, got an A2/B1 in the mock so Ill be aiming for the 100pts in this subject.

Bio HL = revised alot more topics since the mocks, this is more about memory than understanding, going for an A1 in this too.

Phy HL = have an amazing teacher in this. In 4th year I had the worst teacher ever because the classes were not streamed, but in 5th year they were streamed and my new teacher is a big reason for me putting physics first on my CAO.

Ap Math HL = this subject is so iffy in my books. I started going to a class last week up to the LC because Ive been teaching myself, and I did the teachers pre and got 92 (it was a pre without any of the really nasty questions). Its such a random subject, one year the questions can be so manageable but if they bring up something you have never seen its very very hard to deal with it, so you just gotta skip that question. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well i was struck with a pretty vicious bug which has cost me 3 days already, my concentration levels are still nil at the moment, hoping to have recovered fully by tomorrow to get some study in. Kind of annoying but hopefully that will have cleared out anything that might have done something like that to me right before my actual LC exams:eek: .

Have lots to do this month and this just has not helped ;) Now only 1 and half weeks of school left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

Steve01 wrote:
    I'm taking a fairly relaxed attitude to the Leaving, by which I mean I'm not shítting myself. I know what my capabilities are and I know I've been working hard in all subjects so I'm expecting/hoping for great results all round. To be honest I haven't exactly been studying non-stop but I'm getting the work done. Nevertheless for the next 4 weeks I'm planning to up the workload significantly. So long as I go into the LC knowing I've done the best job I possibly can I'll be happy.

wow...took the words outa my mouth...:eek: my sentiments exactly!!:)

at this stage im praying the papers will be fair!! if they are ill be grand..just cant wait to get them all out of the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Does anyone find these "exam/points" threads helpful??TBH, its just freaking me out more!!

Im actually looking foward to the next 4 weeks...atmosphere in school has been amazing, graduation is in 2 weeks, and we'e so fricking close to just be done with all this exam crap, its brilliant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I'd say concentrate on your own progress, you'll do fine if you put the work in. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

"How are is everyone doing"

was i drunk when i wrote that?! my bad! :D

Advertisement