Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB getting worse :/

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

They seem to be almost completely shafting P2P now, I can't even connect to most DC hubs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I can't connect to anything. DC times out, and Torrents keep giving a UPnP error.

I have no ****ing idea what to do. There's some stuff I really needed to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

upnp is local to your router/gateway it has nothing to do with ibb shafting you, though they seem to have been a bit **** for me recently though with constant network drop outs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm having major problems today too. My link seems to be going up and down every few seconds. Not P2P related. Related to everything. I use it for VoIP and I can't get a phone call to last longer than 10 seconds. I'm on the airport mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

My torrents are alot better i get 350kb/s most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

I've the exact same problem. I'm on the crappy 512 Ripwave (Regency Airport Hotel Mast) and up until about a week ago DC and Torrent were working fine. Now I can only connect to about 3 out of my usual 8 DC hubs and torrents are up and down all the time. Thought it was something to do with my router so reset that, setup uPNP + port forwarding and updated its firmware etc AND even formatted my computer (thinking there was something on the computer stopping the connections) but to no avail. Don't think DC will work with tunneling software so dunno what else to do. Lucky I'm coming up to the end of my 6 months contract. I reckon Mr Ripwave will be going out the window...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Using Irish Broadband, torrents are working fine here as my housemate eats up the bandwidth with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm having major problems today too. My link seems to be going up and down every few seconds. Not P2P related. Related to everything. I use it for VoIP and I can't get a phone call to last longer than 10 seconds. I'm on the airport mast.

Fixed now.

On Tuesday when I went home I saw my router connecting / disconnecting constantly. I plugged the line straight into my PC and it said there was another device using my IP. Hmmm. Rang tech support around 7:30pm. Spent about 25 mins on the line doing the steps the tech asked me (ipconfig, check IP, uninstall / reinstall NIC, check using my laptop and seeing the same problem). He didn't agree that another device was using my IP. Said he'd arrange a callout (within 4 days).
    Wednesday. I missed a call from IBB at 10:30am. I rang them back at about 4pm. The lady there arranged a callout for Thursday. Said they'd call me after 2pm.
    Thursday. Rang me at 2:30pm. Arrived 5 mins later. Checked using his laptop (same error I was getting). Checked line of sight (fine). Rang somebody about the duplicate IP error. Gave me a new IP. All working.

The good: Was waiting for a tech initially for about 5 mins. Were quick to arrange a callout (I missed a next day callout but that was because I missed the phone call). Came when they said. Quick to fix the problem.

The bad: Duplicate IP problem was obviously because somebody was given out the same IP as my router. Tech on the phone couldn't diagnose and fix that problem.

End result. It was a stupid mistake but they were quick to fix it and as long as it doesn't happen again the service was pretty good. I'm on IBB Breeze 3Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MadHatter222

Hey guys, I have been having the same problem, up until two weeks ago I was able to max out my connection but now I barely get 0.2k on downloads with one P2P and at a push 15k with another. The funny thing is all speed tests say I have full connection speed and this was confirmed when I was using SUN's download manger to get a jdk, I was getting the full connection speed.

Have any of you been able to rectify the problem? if so would you please let me know as I really need my P2P working for college projects.

Cheers.

Started having problems where I live. Like above speedtest.net records full speed but torrents are running at 1-12KB per second.

It looks like traffic shaping to me as I can't imagine what else is causing it. It is common to all computers in the house using breeze 2MB up/down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yep same problems here.
    Was using bitcomet but it was getting slow. Thought it was bitcomet so I switched to utorrent. Then that got slow after a few weeks so I changed to azureus. That was flying for a while. Now it's back to ~12KB max. Sometimes a bit more if it's in a good mood.
    I've tried changing ports, activating encryption and whatever but none seem to work. There's not too many reliable clients left for me to switch to!

Oh yeah, - 3MB Breeze and ftp dowloads are perfect.

On product page for IBB.
    Irish Broadband don't block any ports or rate limit on different types of traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 chaostik

Sounds very similar to the problems I raised in a thread about IBB packet loss which started ~2 weeks ago. I couldn't get anyone to help with my tests and the thread died. Maybe someone here would try it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055095017

I'm not sure how sensitive torrents are to packet loss. I checked on Monday and the problems I was having (voice cutting out on Ventrilo and then piling up all at once + lag hell in gaming) are still there .... and routing all my traffic over a VPN to London still fixes it. See other thread for full details.

Irish Broadband claimed their network upgrades were done and all should be back to normal ... I ain't seeing that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

JethroC wrote:
    I've the exact same problem. I'm on the crappy 512 Ripwave
    I am always getting disconnections, it get very bad in the evening and when it rains it get worst. :mad: i know I am at the end of there advisised range on their website

Quote:
    Irish Broadband don't block any ports or rate limit on different types of traffic

Only weekends and In the middle of the night do i get achieve up dial-up speeds. :o
    JethroC wrote:
    Lucky I'm coming up to the end of my 6 months contract. I reckon Mr Ripwave will be going out the window...:D
    So am I and I am with you on this, I am going to try the three datacard just advertised approx 20euro a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MadHatter222

Hey Guys cheers for the help, I managed to find a soultion to my problem. I decide to try what mickoneill30 did and connect my computer directly to the ibb sat receiver box and then download a few torrrents. Syraight away I saw an improvment in the speed and I was getting about 100K and during the download i noticed the speed did max out.

This lead me to beleive that is the reduction has something to do wiht the port fordwarding on the router of my network. So I hooked up the router to the receiver and forward a desired port onto my computer and used the same port for the torrent client and now I am getting the full connection speed.

This leaves me to beleive that what ever they did to the network they must have something that messes up ip headder for anything that is not http initalised ie port 80 or 8080.

At 5 or so its just high contention causing low transfer speeds. Gets very low though and its just a pity all telecoms companies in this country get away with such highly contended services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I've been having a look around and a LOT of people seem to be having problems with IBB and p2p.
    The board in the link has a lot of people raising this but several IBB employees have been asked and state that they to NOT shape traffic.
    http://www.irishisptest.com/forum/ibb/789-irish-broadband-employee-willing-answer-questions.html

Advertisement