Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly the strangest broadband problem ever

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

well definitely my strangest bb problem at any rate.
    my wireless router is now located under my stairs in the hallway to a phone socket there but i this problem also occurred when the router was connected in the kitchen.
    Oh yes, the problem: every time someone walks up or down the stairs the router loses it bb connection. it goes from orange traffic light to the green connecting light.
    wtf??:confused::confused::confused:

its seriously ruining my online gaming and i have to remember not to lose the rag with people for doing something as simple as moving about the house.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its a loose extension wire of some sort near the stairs which is affected by vibration , start tapping around until you locate it and then chisel it out and join it firmly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Probably a phone cable trapped under one of the steps. Everytime someone walks on the step it pinches the cable. Because it effects other phone sockets it could the main cable after it comes into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah was thinking as much. suppose it only effects bb and not voice cause bb is more sensitive. some dodgy as hell wiring in this house. previous owner fancied himself as diy dan. which after numeous electric shocks i can say he definitely wasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

kaizersoze wrote:
    Probably a phone cable trapped under one of the steps. Everytime someone walks on the step it pinches the cable. Because it effects other phone sockets it could the main cable after it comes into the house.
    All the sockets are in parallel. It could even be an unused end of cable :(
    Our house had the bedroom phone socket wired under stairs carpet, across landing, etc ... Insulation was worn away in 3 different places. I was surprised it wasn't shorted all the time.

I think after nearly 10 years I've finished finding "pre-installed" problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

going to have to try and prise up floor boards by the looks of it..arse.
    might just run a new cable past the stairs altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Get someone to stand on each step, one ot a time, and see which step triggers the disconnection. Might narrow down the search a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Had exactly the same problem in my Dad's house.

Wire had got pinched when he had his wooden floor fixed.

Had to rewire

Advertisement