Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in West Laois

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me is it possible to get BB by any means in the Errill area in West Laois. I know that Digiweb cover Rathdowney with is 6km east of me. IS there anyway in hell that I could be within range of this?

It seems that all around me can get BB but we are just SOL. Is there anyhope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Are Digiweb supplying wireless from Rathdowney?
    I'm technically within their range from both Mountrath and Portlaoise, but can't get a line of sight for the signal; I can however, get a line of sight (and a good signal) from Durrow, a full 18Km away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes Digiweb are supplying wireless from Rathdowney.

What is the real range?

Well, I'm doing this at 18Km...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Bond-007 wrote:
    Yes Digiweb are supplying wireless from Rathdowney.

What is the real range?
    The official real range is 5km. However if you have a really good path (Big pole?) then 6km might be possible.

It also depends on if you are in centre of sector on mast (good) or at edge of a sector of a mast. (poor).

I don't think they release info like actual sectors, just per mast coverage.

I'd need a 30ft mast on chimney for LOS to my Metro mast, which obviously not practical. So I got permission to cut the LOWEST bough of the massive beech tree and the aerial is only about 7ft of the ground.

According to Digiweb, I am most certainly getting my signal from Durrow, some 18Km away as the bird flies according to my GPS software.
    Even if they are wrong, the only other point I could be getting it from in that general direction is Abbeyleix, 11Km away.

• Advertisement

watty wrote:
    The official real range is 5km. However if you have a really good path (Big pole?) then 6km might be possible.

It also depends on if you are in centre of sector on mast (good) or at edge of a sector of a mast. (poor).

I don't think they release info like actual sectors, just per mast coverage.

I'd need a 30ft mast on chimney for LOS to my Metro mast, which obviously not practical. So I got permission to cut the LOWEST bough of the massive beech tree and the aerial is only about 7ft of the ground.
    Is there any way I can get Digiweb to come out and attempt a LOS test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Ring 'em?

Or would I be better off to try to order online and see what happens?

Going on my experience, you're well within range of Rathdowney, and are about the same distance as me from Durrow.
    I guess I was just blessed lucky to be in the sweet spot for Durrow, but you could be in a similar situation with other antennae.

The engineers came to my place expecting to connect me to Mountrath or Portlaoise, but topography stymied that plan.
    They turned the antennae through 360 degrees to see if they could find anything else anywhere, and lo and behold, Durrow popped up.

I'd say to go ahead any place the order online, there's nothing to loose if they can't connect you-

http://www.digiweb.ie/inbusiness_broadband_wireless_faq.asp?i=2&i2=5&i6=15#q1
    If you order the service and we cannot complete the installation due to some obstacle or other problem, we will refund your entire payment immediately.

Thanks for the info Rovi. :)

What sort of timescale is involved between ordering and engineers visit?

• Advertisement

Mine was done early last year, so my recollection of the details is hazy, but it was in the region of a couple of months or so.
    They were inundated with enquiries at the time; you may remember they put up all those Digiweb Broadband Available signs around the towns in the county around then.
    I have no idea what the timescale is now, it would probably be best to give them a call, I suppose.

I have ordered online so I will keep yee posted as to developments. Hopefully it will be good news.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Is there any way I can get Digiweb to come out and attempt a LOS test?
    Yes. Ordering generally works. :)

I don't know of anyone (commercial) that does LOS tests without an order.

Looks like they don't want to do a LOS test. Also it looks like they write off applications purely based on address.

Original Message
    To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx@aol.com
    Sent: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:58 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with wireless broadband due to your location at this point in time. Digiweb is continually upgrading our wireless network so we would advice you to check our website for updates to our wireless network in the near future. You can find our website at www.digiweb.ie

Alternatively, Digiweb does also provide broadband via land lines.

You can find our DSL price plans and also test your land line for DSL support at: http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_dsl_index.asp

You can also view our satellite packages at:- http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_satellite_index.asp

If our sales representatives may be of assistance, please contact Digiweb Sales on 1-800-285-828.

Once again thank you for your interest in Digiweb,
    Anything I can do? I take it it's purely the address they use to reject. Anyone care to help me formulate a reply to them?

Thanks

Any Digiweb people on here able to help?

Try giving them your Lat & Long or Irish Grid ref, as the lack of Post Codes makes using address problematic.

Get a 10ft pole for your Chimney with a TV aerial on it.

It's possible that you appear to be somewhere different from where you really are.

Are the phone people likely to accept this?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Are the phone people likely to accept this?

Do you get mail when you postman is sick or on holiday and someone else is standing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Ring them!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement