Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geog Option..no sence?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Im doing geoecology for my option, but I was skimming through possible exams questions and some of them are crazy. Like if we are lucky(those of us doing this option) charachteristics of a biome you have studied will come up, but thats not going to happen, since it came up last year. But the thing I dont get is how can we write a good few pages about the global implications of felling of rainforests, its not even in the damn book.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I did the leaving last year, luckily I got a lovely paper but I was pooing myself by looking at all those sample papers.

The questions they ask in those sample papers are rediculous. They aren't real papers, the only one that is anyway relevant is last years because it's only the second year of the course! The people who write those questions in the samples have nothing to do with the department and arent really based on anything except for some people at folens or whatever trying to fill up the pages so you'll buy the papers!!!

Do your study and you'll be fine, they cant ask you something that isnt in the book :) Believe me I was close to tears with Geography last year and it was the biggest relief of them all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

deisedolly wrote:
    they cant ask you something that isnt in the book

Yes they can. They can ask you anything that is on the syllabus. The syllabus is not the book. Many books leave out parts of the syllabus but cover alternative options.

The book is not the course, in any subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

tats true and the felling of rainforests came up on the departments sample paper so it can be asked and its not in my book either!!! this course is well too big

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'd be prettttay sure that a biome will come up to be honest. I also believe that one would actually have to?

I'm doing the ocean/atmosphere option even though my class are doing that one, that one is extremely boring ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

We're doing culture and identity...I don't hear of many others doing that option? It's relatively easy, once you have loads of samples to back you up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd be prettttay sure that a biome will come up to be honest. I also believe that one would actually have to?

I'm doing the ocean/atmosphere option even though my class are doing that one, that one is extremely boring ;)

ya geoecology is ridiculously boring,but its probably the shortsest and easiest option.we wer goin to do global interdependence,but our teacher sed that it was too long.
    culture & identity we wer told was the hardest because the questions are meant to be very vague and widespread (havnt lookd at anu of them,so i dont know.is this true?)
    id personally like to do atmosphere/ocean definitly looks the most interesting....but its a bit late to change it now,i think

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Im doin geoecology, its by far the easiest. However...if a question comes up on global warming in Atmosphere/ocean environment (like it did in 2006, so unlikely this year), i shall be answering on that question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Vague questions are the best for Culture and Identity, it means you can bring in more samples. It tends to be religion or language..so blah blah blah India has no common language and it causes tension, Belgium is multilingual and no conflict there..Irish asa minority language...Basque language- ETA etc. Then religion is NI and India and so on...a handy 80 marks. SRP count is a bit hard to get though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

sternn wrote:
    Im doin geoecology, its by far the easiest. However...if a question comes up on global warming in Atmosphere/ocean environment (like it did in 2006, so unlikely this year), i shall be answering on that question!

A question is very likely to come up on GW considering the year thats in it and the report issued by your names sake around the time the paper would have been printed, i would be extremely surprised if a question related to GW did not come up, or Climate Change etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

I'm doing geoecology and soil characteristics just to cover myself for that Q. Better off learning it well since it's worth 80marks although if you're not particularly going for a very high grade you'd be better off studying the other chapters in which you could probably do better overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

genius at work!!!!!!!!!!!

all i can say is just try your best and thats all u can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

It's not that bad when you get down to it, I'm doing geoecology too, get a revision book or something, the revise wise one was recommended to us and it is good. Look through the geoecology part of it if you can get a hold of a copy. They'll probably ask to explain soil types or somehthing or at least we got something like that as a question in the mocks if I remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Were doing geoecology but if the questions suck Ive studied a fair bit (and already knew a fair bit) about the culture and idendity so i might do that depending on the questions.

EDIT: Its spelled sense estecnabamias just so you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I don't get is how can we write a good few pages about the global implications of felling of rainforests, its not even in the damn book.

Paragraph 1: Intro to a rainforest, where they're located etc. (tropics, Amazon, Africa, SE Asia, very north of Australia)

P2 Soils of a Rainforest, characteristics etc., (leeching, lots of humification etc.)

P3 Climate of the tropics

P4 Destruction of the Amazon, lungs of the earth. Increasing CO2, global warming etc. (nice long paragraph)

P5 destruction in Africa, bring in about desertification, slash and burn etc.

P6 SE Asia, talk about destruction of wildlife habitats, and destruction of rare plant species

P7 Australia, not so much of a problem luckily, but it could have drastic implications on climate, desertification (increasing great simpson) destroying flora and fauna etc.

P8 Conclusion

You use a different topic for each rainforest to show:
    1. You know the different rain forests
    2. To fill up space
    Refer to the fact that each topic is happening in each rainforest to keep cohesion and structure.

Apply the same process to other essays that seem difficult, try and work out everything you can say, and then fit it all in in a structured way.
    Like if we are lucky(those of us doing this option) characteristics of a biome you have studied will come up, but that's not going to happen, since it came up last year.

One of the aims of the new course is to remove predictability. So it may well come up again. There is no way of knowing!!!!

Advertisement