Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody going to New York?

• 01-05-2007 12:26am

Any body heading there on the j1?Have ye accomodation/jobs sorted yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jamessiggins

no bud.headin over on 2nd jun on my own.no job yet or no place to stay.sure ill meet loads of people on the plane with the same story.when you going yourself

26th of may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

headin over 8th of June...no job yet, no accommodation yet. eeek!!
    Ideally i'd love to live in Manhattan but due to prices etc I think that may be a lil bit unviable!!
    ah it'll work out. I can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

Just a little bit of advice, the sooner you start looking for jobs in NY, especially Manhattan, the better.
    Went over last summer, was a great experience, but took me 4 weeks of constant job hunting to get a job in clothes retail in Manhattan.

Waitressing is meant to be the best job pay-wise, but I found it was a very hard one to get, even in Irish areas like Yonkers, Bronx etc.
    If you know you want to work retail, like somewhere like Gap, Bannana Republic, Urban Outfitters, Abercrombie, American Eagle, Barnes & Noble etc, I would say apply online before you go over, and try to get one or two interviews lined up.

The money in retail was not the greatest, but it was great for meeting people and was such an experience! I had worked in a hotel restauraunt back home and had some really good work references (also a good idea to bring over with you), but was told that it wasn't enough, that I didn't have "new york" waitressing experience, I suppose it's a carrear over there!

Also, if you have any contacts over in the US at all, keep them in mind, as they could come in very handy when looking for accomadation, jobs etc.
    Just a few tips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

Heya, I'm heading over on May 21st. Nothing sorted yet but I'm looking for anyone who wants to share. I'm in contac twith 2 people already but anyone else who wants in PM me. It probably wont be the most luxurios arrangement (ie. sleeping on floors and stuff) but it would be a home, which would be nice.
    Anyone who just wants to meet up over the too, I'm heading over on my own and if anyone else is in the same position and would just like to have someone to touch base with PM me. :)
    I've done a J1 before but not on my own so I'm a little more nervous this time, but very excited. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement