Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Most speed drivers are 50pc above limit

• 01-05-2007 5:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/10306984?view=Eircomnet&cat=National
    Most speed drivers are 50pc above limit
    From The Irish Independent
    Monday, 30th April, 2007

MOST drivers caught speeding are travelling 50pc faster than the indicated limit.

The disclosure proves that "gardai are not catching fish in a barrel", the country's top traffic garda said yesterday.

Eddie Rock, assistant Garda commissioner in charge of the traffic corps, also pleaded with insurance companies to give premium discounts to young male drivers who fit speed limiting devices in their cars.

Official new speed detection figures for the past six months, which were obtained by the Irish Independent, show the vast majority of drivers clocked speeding are way above the limit, almost 50pc in most cases.

The figures dispel the myth that most drivers caught speeding are only marginally over the limit and were "hard done by".

In the past six months, a total of 29,731 motorists were recorded as speeding in excess of 70kph in a 50kph zone.

This compares with just 98 drivers caught travelling at 50-60kph.

This trend holds for all speed zones.

In the 60kph zone, 29,630 were caught speeding above 80kph, with just 86 drivers marginally over the limit between 60-70kph.

A total of 14,274 motorists were hit with penalty points for driving in excess of 100kph in the 80kph zone, while only 101 drivers were caught between 80-90kph.

And in the 100kph limit zone, the legal speed on most main roads, some 22,840 were caught driving above 120kph and only 325 were just over the limit.

Mr Rock said yesterday it was clear that gardai were concentrating their efforts on catching those motorists who were driving at high speed and not those just marginally over the limit.

"This shows that we are not catching fish in a barrel. We are focusing on the serious offenders," he added.

The assistant Garda commissioner said the traffic corps was not increasing its enforcement efforts in targetting speeding.

The main focus was not on motorists who were a few kilometres over the limit, but concentrated on drivers travelling at dangerously high speeds.

Mr Rock urged insurance companies to adopt a recommendation from the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Enterprise to give premium discounts to young drivers who fitted inexpensive devices that restricted the speed at which the car could travel.

"This is a recommendation that I would like to see introduced," he said.

Treacy Hogan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

The depressing thing in this country is that catching speeders 50% over the limit probably is shooting fish in a barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭SeanW

50% over the limit is crazy. Who cares if it's "fish in a barrel?"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Hopefully this will dispel the myth that gardai are catching people 3 or 4 km/hr over the limit just to reach quotas.

I like the idea of people travelling at 75km/hr in a 50 and 180km/hr in a 100 being targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Significant by their absence: statistics for the proportion of drivers ticketed on motorways who were doing above 180.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I can think of many instances where drivers who are 20kph over the limit is shooting fish in a barrel. Quite a few limits are too low and it would be interesting where most of the speed traps were erected! I'd bet most are in areas with inappropriate limits or just inside where limits change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

What I meant when I said it is depressing that catching people speeding so much above the limit is still shooting fish in a barrel, is that there should not be so many speeding motorists (that it is so easy for the Gardaí). Not that the Gardaí shouldn't be "shooting fish in a barrel". As far as I'm concerned, despite so many people being caught, we simply don't have enough enforcement of the rules of the road, speeding amongst them.

That said, if an increase in enforcement does happen, we need to have a clear easy way for people to get decent driving lessons and get tested in quick time. There is far too high a proportion of poorly educated motorists on the roads (and no, we aren't just talking provisional licence holders).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Imposter wrote:
    I can think of many instances where drivers who are 20kph over the limit is shooting fish in a barrel. Quite a few limits are too low and it would be interesting where most of the speed traps were erected! I'd bet most are in areas with inappropriate limits or just inside where limits change.

I think the key here is the percentage over the limit. Being over 50% over the posted limit is not really acceptable, IMO, under any circumstances. Don’t get me wrong, I break speed limits and I know there are limits that are too low, as well as limits that are too high. But the limits are there for a reason and even if you don’t agree with them you have to abide by them or suffer the consequences
    Zoney wrote:
    What I meant when I said it is depressing that catching people speeding so much above the limit is still shooting fish in a barrel, is that there should not be so many speeding motorists (that it is so easy for the Gardaí). Not that the Gardaí shouldn't be "shooting fish in a barrel". As far as I'm concerned, despite so many people being caught, we simply don't have enough enforcement of the rules of the road, speeding amongst them.
    I have to say I am kind of of the opinion that speeding is a lesser offence, but these figures are quite scary.

Zoney wrote:
    That said, if an increase in enforcement does happen, we need to have a clear easy way for people to get decent driving lessons and get tested in quick time. There is far too high a proportion of poorly educated motorists on the roads (and no, we aren't just talking provisional licence holders).
    . Agreed. But it is a lot easier and cheaper to catch speeders and make headlines about it than do something about the lack of driver’s ed.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

MrPudding wrote:
    Agreed. But it is a lot easier and cheaper to catch speeders and make headlines about it than do something about the lack of driver’s
    Perhaps the two are connected?
    Clearly, a driver that ignores the speed limits or drives at unsafe speed needs education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Perhaps the two are connected?
    Clearly, a driver that ignores the speed limits or drives at unsafe speed needs education.

Not sure. I don't think it is quite that simple.

Educated drivers will still break the speed limits, so I suppose it depends on you definition of education. I received basic training and I have also received advanced training. Whilst I obey plated limits I may go faster in the national speed limit areas.

Where i think people do need educated is little things like common courtesy and common sense.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    Educated drivers will still break the speed limits,
    That just means they've forgotten their education in civic responsibility.

Just because a driver has 'advanced driving' education it does not remove the harm done to the social and natural environment by speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Imposter wrote:
    Quite a few limits are too low and it would be interesting where most of the speed traps were erected!
    Have you written to the relevant councils?
    I'd bet most are in areas with inappropriate limits or just inside where limits change.
    What, you mean people see the sign for the limit and within 200m have already forgotten what speed they should be doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Victor wrote:
    Have you written to the relevant councils?

What, you mean people see the sign for the limit and within 200m have already forgotten what speed they should be doing?
    No, the fact that I don't live in Ireland means I don't really care as it only has to annoy me once or twice a year.

I know that the person should not be speeding once past the limit sign but you cannot deny that most of the speeding trap locations are set up to "shoot fish in a barrel" and just inside the speed limit change seems to be a favourite. Or do you think otherwise?

Imposter wrote:
    but you cannot deny that most of the speeding trap locations are set up to "shoot fish in a barrel"
    IF you mean that there are so many drivers that break the law that it's impossible not to miss them, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

SeanW wrote:
    50% over the limit is crazy. Who cares if it's "fish in a barrel?"
    75kph is a little over 45mph.

Most of the country villages which consist of a pub and a shop have a 50kph zone extending for a mile of empty road in each direction.

This is the barrel.

50% over the limit on an 'R' road is 120kph (75mph)
    on an 'N' road would be 150kph (93mph)
    on motorways, its 240kph(110mph)

These are dangerous speeds.

Maybe it would be good if the gardai cruised around and pulled people for driving dangerously, tailgating, overtaking a queue of traffic, overtaking on bends etc. instead of parking themselves outside a village on an empty country road.

Of course the fish in a barrel option is just so much easier.
    That report is blatant rubbish.

then this bit:
    in the 100kph limit zone, the legal speed on most main roads
    demonstrates that Ms Hogan has never taken out a map and checked the proportion of our roads that have an 'N' on them.

Gurgle wrote:
    Maybe it would be good if the gardai cruised around and pulled people for driving dangerously, tailgating, overtaking a queue of traffic, overtaking on bends etc. instead of parking themselves outside a village on an empty country road.
    Perhaps the people who speed are the same people who commit those other offenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gurgle wrote:
    Most of the country villages which consist of a pub and a shop have a 50kph zone extending for a mile of empty road in each direction.
    Name one.
    on motorways, its 240kph(110mph)
    **Cough** 120 +50% = 180
    These are dangerous speeds.
    Agreed.
    Actually if you read the Motors board, you will see references to unmarked Garda cars mingling with traffic and acting agaisnt such people.
    demonstrates that Ms Hogan has never taken out a map and checked the proportion of our roads that have an 'N' on them.
    She does refer to main roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Victor wrote:
    She does refer to main roads.

What main roads have a limit of 100? I know the main road between bray and greystones goes between 60 and 80. Most main roads i have been on have an 80 limit, including a lot of DCs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I wouldn't consider any road without a N in its number to be a main road, and the speed limit along most N roads is 100kph except for certain limited zones.

If you're limited to roads whose speed limits are 60 and 80kph then you're not spending too much time outside built up areas. That said, as a proportion of roads as a whole, I suspect that 80kph covers most of them. But for main roads - ie N roads - then it's 100kph. This includes the N7, N8, N3 N21, N22 just to think of a handful which I would use often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

The article contradicts itself. First it says most are over 50%, then it says "almost 50pc in most cases"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Victor wrote:
    Gurgle wrote:
    Name one.
    Carnaross in County Meath springs to mind!
    It's on the N3!
    Problem is, you will get rear-ended if you slow down to the legal limit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Carnaross in County Meath springs to mind!
    It's on the N3!
    Problem is, you will get rear-ended if you slow down to the legal limit!

The limits of Carnaross do seem excessive but the limit on the northside finishes near an estate and on the south side it finishes at the farmers mart so the limits set are justified. If you have a driver up your back side why not gently press the brake so your brakelights come on and from there gently slow your car down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Victor wrote:
    Name one.
    **Cough** 120 +50% = 180
    lol doh!
    And Kiltale in meath is one of my favourites. And the gardai's too.
    [/quote]She does refer to main roads.[/QUOTE]
    Take a drive from Navan through Trim to Summerhill, as a wildly random example. Mostly good big roads. Not an 'N' in sight, 80kph all the way.

The 'N' roads are mostly inter-city, and tbh are often crappier than the 'R' roads that have been improved but never upgraded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chief--- wrote:
    Hopefully this will dispel the myth that gardai are catching people 3 or 4 km/hr over the limit just to reach quotas.
    There aren't any quotas.
    They are allowed to catch as many as they want ;)

Advertisement