Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling / Floor Sound insulation

Options
  • 01-05-2007 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're moving our daughter into the currently spare room directly above the sitting room. Before we do so I notice that there is no insulation between the sitting room plasterboard ceiling and the bedroom floor above (wooden, laid on OSf boards).

What are the best options to try and sound proof the room upstairs from the sitting room, a carpet is probably a good idea but is there anything I can inject into the space between the joists (without having to rip up the floor or pull down the ceiling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think this may be better off in DIY

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cormacmccann

Generally there is no insullation placed in the floors between upstairs and downstairs rooms to allow heat to travel up through the house and help heat the rooms. Carpet with a good underlay will help dampen the noise, but putting insulation in the cavity probably won't help much as the noise will just travel through the timber joists as vibrations.

Advertisement