Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card upgrade?

Options
  • 01-05-2007 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I have a Dell Optiplex GX150 for the last 6-7 years and it has stood me well - it's well-built and easy to open up and access. I only use it for fluting around on the Internet and the occasional movie anyway, so it isn't usually heavily taxed.

The trouble is that the 15" LCD screen is a bit small and I was hoping to get a bigger one, for watching films and even using as a TV. The PC specs are 1Ghz PIII processor, 512MB SDRAM, 180Gig IDE harddrive in a mini-tower box. The graphics card is, I think, an AGP graphics card - whichever one comes as standard. Could I get a 19" LCD widescreen for this PC (I saw this one on DABS.ie: http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=446N&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,44640000,4294963789&InMerch=1), and for it to work, would I need a new graphics card - one with DVI? Can you get a graphics card that incorporates a TV point in it? What would be the best option for me to get and would it even be worth investing any money at all into this PC?

I don't plan on buying a new PC for maybe another year or so if I can help it, so if I had to spend €50 or €60 on a new graphics card it wouldn't be a big deal, for a screen that I could obviously keep.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ATI-All-In-Wonder-Radeon-AGP-32Mb-with-TV-Tuner_W0QQitemZ290108760288QQihZ019QQcategoryZ86700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Something like this would be fine - it's just an example...it's low end, and old, but given your requirements its sufficent. Your video card right now is probably sufficent enough to do what you want, apart from the tv capabilities, so there might not be any point in looking at more modern video cards.

Link above - old card but should be fine for what you want but just an example, obviously you can look around yourself. If you're looking for something a bit beefier however, you can look at somewhat 'newer' ati all in wonder cards, like the 9600pro. Don't go too high, because anything above a 9700 class card will need an extra power connection, which your machine most likely wouldn't be able to cope with efficently (probably has a low rated psu). So in that line, this would be also a great option:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ATI-All-In-Wonder-9600-XT-128-MB-DDR-AGP-Video-card_W0QQitemZ160110557479QQihZ006QQcategoryZ40158QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

As for if it would be worth it, yes, given that you only use it for stuff like movies and the like, it would be well worth just investing in a new card.

edit: as for dvi its not an issue, most monitors come with adaptors and if they don't, then it costs close to nothing to pick up a dvi->vga adaptor

Overall, given the age of your system, and your needs, this would be perfectly adequate, and while not as powerful as the 9600pro still more then enough for your system and much better then the older first card I posted:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/B1931-ATI-9000-PRO-AIW-64MB-ALL-IN-WONDER-AGP-CARD_W0QQitemZ120114381923QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Optiplex 150 does indeed use an AGP slot however from what I can see of the service manuals the Optiplex 150 use small form factor which means it uses low profile cards which severely limits your options if that is the case.

How big is the case is it a small system does it match the diagrams in the service manual ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In the case of small form factor - which I actually knew of but it didn't enter my head (:o ):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-RADEON-All-in-Wonder-9000-Pro-64MB-Low-Profile-AGP_W0QQitemZ220106794466QQihZ012QQcategoryZ40158QQcmdZViewItem

That would appear to be the best option as low profile PCI TV tuners are not too common either & that card kills two birds with one stone.

Minus the TV element it is possible to buy a low profile card new like this NVIDIA 6200 which has a DVI output so you get the best picture quality from the display.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

8T8 wrote:
    The Optiplex 150 does indeed use an AGP slot however from what I can see of the service manuals the Optiplex 150 use small form factor which means it uses low profile cards which severely limits your options if that is the case.

How big is the case is it a small system does it match the diagrams in the service manual ?

Hi 8T8, my PC is a mini-tower configuration (decent standard sized box), although it does come in a small desktop version as well. I had a look in the box (picture Dublin Corporation workers looking into a hole in the road) and the card is fairly massive (no small-form-factor going on here).

• Advertisement

If that's the case then it should accommodate regular sized AGP cards.

The All In Wonder line of ATI graphics cards that had a built in tuner are no longer being made as such the only place to buy is through eBay like HavoK linked to.

You can of course simply forgo that option if you want to and get two separate cards like an AGP graphics card and a PCI TV tuner.

If buying from Dabs here are some recommendations;
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200 AGP graphics card with DVI €39

Hauppauge Win TV PCI analogue tuner €37

The graphics card will get you a DVI connection for the display and if you want it the tuner will allow analogue broadcasts to be viewed though frankly I think you would be better of spending the money on RAM for the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

Thanks Havok for your posts. I have been trawling through your options and E-Bay, etc. on a graphics card crash course! I still haven't figured out which I want but I will get the best I can afford, I suppose. I also like the thought of having an RF remote control for the TV end of things. Ahh, the possibilities are endless.

Hi 8T8, I may go for the separates if I can't get an all-in-one that suits. As for the RAM, it is all max'ed up - 512 is the most my PC will take.

Cheers, Bigtom...

Advertisement