Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

400sqft Quote Question

• 01-05-2007 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I have just received in several quotes for a a basic 430sq foot(40sq m) extension. We had an architect draw up the basic plan and write up a document for builders.

It is a very basic square box build. Nothing in the room to really elevate costs and at the moment we are getting in prices including VAT that are in the ball park of €185 per sq foot(2000sq m). That is a total key turner price, so includes painting, tiles, carpet and half a kitchen. We already had half at kitchen at the back of our house as new a year ago.

I just wondered if this was in the normal ball park for a standard extension. Everyone from Architect, Builder to Engineer has told us that we are building something very simple with no extreme needs.

Just interested to know if it compares to others peoples experience or quotes. In trying to budget for this i never thought it would get up to this kind of price. Have i been naive in the budgeting side of things?

Any info would be a great help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Those prices are OTT. Shop around for another couple of quotes. Talk to family and friends who may have had work done in the last year or two and find out who their builder was and what sort of price he did it for together with quality of work etc.

Your architect should be able to give you a couple of names too.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Cheers Muffler

We got about 4 quotes in which were all in the same ball park so I started to wonder if my expectations were just a little bit out of whack.

The quote we are favoring is from a friend who i know would not try to rip me off. I should probably sit down with them and go through things in closer detail now to look at an inventory of costs.

I am going to paint and tile the extension and the kitchen going in is only 4 grand so the Extension cost including VAT is up around 76K.

I just can't get me head around it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

it is pretty steep. you must be living in a city? if you look at the Sticky from this thread people are averaging around 100€ per sq ft.
    would you think of direct labour?

could work a hell of a lot cheaper. 100€ X 400 would be about 40K. might save 20K plus in the end. there is the hassle of organising all this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

I am based in the Dun Laoghaire area so although I am not going to exclusive type builders my area must be inflating the quote.

I guess i am just not confident enough to undertake this project as direct labour. I was worried there would be too many things that I didn't know that could go wrong for me.

I had planned that the basic build would cost me around 50k and that i would then put in the extras for another 10k.

I might have to take a serious look at direct labour though.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I am currently renovating my house, i bought it last year. I will soon be looking for quotes for a 40 sq m extension.
    I can honestly say if any builder gives me that kind of figure he may very well find himself part of said extension, a la fred west.:eek:
    Subfreq, that is a ridiculous quote.
    Start contacting builders from away from your area, or else wait til next year when there's not as much work around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can honestly say if any builder gives me that kind of figure he may very well find himself part of said extension, a la fred west.:eek:
    :D:D

But we cant condone violence so we will ban you for 7 seconds

Edit: Time up

Advertisement