Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bearded Dragon keepers sign in!

• 01-05-2007 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi ive recently started my first viv with Bearded dragons, Just wondering if anyone else here keeps beardys plus i wanna get an idea of how popular these lizards are, So if your a beardy keeper leave a comment saying how many, how long you've had em and and the size of the enclosure, Maybe well get an idea of the popularity and average enclosure size these lizards are being kept in, in Ireland.

Ill start

2 junior dragons
    1 month
    5 foot x 2 x 2 vivarium
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

3 sub adults they are currently in a 4x1x1 but are moving this week into an 8x1x1 viv I have had these guys for 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

Just the one living with me, technically my boyfriends now cos the beardie is a woman hater, have him since August was a very happy littlin but since moving to his bigger enclosure and grown up a bit has taken a dislike to me and any other girl that goes near him. Ever heard of anything like that before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

1 beardie had him about a year
    he is a total sweetheart
    1 agama had him 6 months

got into snakes now have a few of them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have 1 beardie now for 2 years.
    Shares his cage with a Sudanese Plated thats 1 and a half years old which I know some keepers say is a no-no but I did a fair bit of research before buying and they are one of the few suitable for keeping with beardies.

Works out well because they both have similar temperature and humidity requirements.

Both are in a 4x2x2 viv

Heres a pic of the Plated.
    http://www.reptilecity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=reptiles&Product_Code=SPL&Category_Code=LIZARDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

The plated Lizards are pretty cool Hellrazor, Does it with the Beardie at all? or do they just ignore each other

Nice to see im not the only Beardie Keeper on here, So what do you guys use for substrate?

Im using wood chip untill they get a bit bigger then im switching to sand.But i have a seperate feeding area free of substrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 beardie

i have a year and a half old male beardie,hes shedding at the moment.i'm in the prossess of building a new enclosure for him its going to be 4'X1.5'X1.5'.hes in a two foot square tank at the moment.

i wouldnt use sand at any age just to be careful the best substrate are ceramic tiles,they hold the heat in,are easy to clean and file down your beardies nails they're just great.

does anyone know where i can find the tracks for sliding glass doors on a viv

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

For the sliding tracks we got a kitchen maker to make them for us.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Bond-007 wrote:
    For the sliding tracks we got a kitchen maker to make them for us.

B&Q sell them for 8 euros for a complete set.They come in 6 ft lenghts and can either be glued or nailed into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 beardie

cheers.thanks for the help.i heard about a place called woodworkers and hobbies but thats out of the way.thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 esko

i've 2 beardie.just a year old.esko and juvie.have them in a 4x3x2 viv.they need it.very natural looking inside with wooden corner shelves and sloping shelves fitted,which were then covered with bonding compound.looks very natural and rocky and is great for filing their nails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 66o66o

5 month old, in a 2X1X1.5 tank,
    moving to a 100gallon tank soon,
    i'm using wheat germ as a substrate at the moment,
    looks good, i've read some good and bad things about it
    but going to give it a shot for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

1 Beardie (salad fingers), 11 months old, 18.5 inches long, 400 grams, lives in a 4' x 2' x 2' Viv, with a slate bottom, ReptiGlo 10 UV light and a 60w basking light.

I have read extensively that beardies are not supposed to be held in communal tanks, as they have a habit of suddenly turning on tank mates and ripping limbs off. Also Bark type substrates are not recommended, and neither are heat mats, as Dragons cannot gauge heat through their stomachs and frequently get burned.

Pics @ 1 month old -
    632197587a3015006069b16730205l.jpg

And 4 months old...
    632197587a3654858487b378549368l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

i have 5 adult beardies ( 2 males and 3 females ) and 4 subadults and 3 hatchlings ( which i hope to be my new breeding stock for next year) i also have 12 eggs incubating which are all fertile. my setup for the adults is 2 4x2x3 sliding door vivs. the subadults are in a 5x1x2 sliding top viv. the hatchlings are in 2 large exo terra faunariums. please note that beardies should not be housed with any other reptiles as beardies are very territorial especially males and older females.

i have 5 adult beardies ( 2 males and 3 females ) and 4 subadults and 3 hatchlings ( which i hope to be my new breeding stock for next year) i also have 12 eggs incubating which are all fertile. my setup for the adults is 2 4x2x3 sliding door vivs. the subadults are in a 5x1x2 sliding top viv. the hatchlings are in 2 large exo terra faunariums. please note that beardies should not be housed with any other reptiles as beardies are very territorial especially males and older females.

Pretty cool setup ypu hv there. Well Ive got 3 of them now, had 5 but 1 had to be rehomed because he was, well crazy, tried to eat everything that moved, including beardies, and people. Hes now being housed and bred with a female in the country. The second had to go because unfortunatly he was a runt, the others outgrew him by a large margin, and I was worried for his safety, reptile havan took him in.

So now Ive 3, 5 month old, 13 inch beardeys.

Kersh wrote: »
    I have read extensively that beardies are not supposed to be held in communal tanks, as they have a habit of suddenly turning on tank mates and ripping limbs off. Also Bark type substrates are not recommended, and neither are heat mats, as Dragons cannot gauge heat through their stomachs and frequently get burned.

Lovely beardies man, What do you think of my 5 month old monsters!

Heat mats are ok provided they are low wattage, I can rest me hand on my heat mat for as long as I like without any burning or discomfort, mine just gets warm, but over time, if switched on an hour before the light goes out, it heat the tank to the perfect temperature all throught the night.

As for beardies being held in communal tanks, Its not exactly true, you can home several bearded dragons together provided that the following criteria is met

1:They are all roughly the same size
    2:There is only one male, or 3 females to every male
    3: It is not crowded and If a beardie wants to be alone he has space, such as a cave to do so.
    4: That a dish of fresh veg, such as Kale, Spinage or Courgettes be available to eat all day.
    5: The basking spot is big enough to accomadate all beardies and there is more then one basking spot

Every now and then someone buys a beardie that turns out to be a little vicious, but these arent very common.

pics are Beardies @ 4 months

Advertisement