Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Awareness - Greystones & Charlesland

Options
  • 01-05-2007 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

The point has been made about whether many of our neighbours look at this website, or at least this forum, for our area to have a real input of the goings on in Greystones and Charlesland. I don't know if this is feasible (nor would Mike and Eoin enjoy the extra work) but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to sick a notice up on the notice board in Superquinn and perhaps on the Shuttle Bus, that there is a website we are all talking on. Bring about some awareness to lots of people. I do think it would be great to have more discussions here about things which are of real interest to alot of people in our neighbour!

So, the questions are: Would boards.ie wish this to be done?...do the moderators wish this to be done?...do the Posters on this foum want more discussions?

Your thoughts please...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

astrofluff wrote:
    The point has been made about whether many of our neighbours look at this website, or at least this forum, for our area to have a real input of the goings on in Greystones and Charlesland. I don't know if this is feasible (nor would Mike and Eoin enjoy the extra work) but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to sick a notice up on the notice board in Superquinn and perhaps on the Shuttle Bus, that there is a website we are all talking on. Bring about some awareness to lots of people. I do think it would be great to have more discussions here about things which are of real interest to alot of people in our neighbour!

So, the questions are: Would boards.ie wish this to be done?...do the moderators wish this to be done?...do the Posters on this foum want more discussions?

Your thoughts please...

I can't see the admins of boards.ie having a problem with more people coming to the site. I don't think that Mike would mind me saying that we would welcome new members.

Here's a shorter URL that links to this forum:

http://SayHi.to/Charlesland

Could be a lot easier to remember than http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=625

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Relative to the number of people who live in Charlesland and Greystones, the number of active posters is miniscule.

The moderation of the board shouldn't be much more of a task than it currently is, save when a hot topic comes up and folks need reminding to play nice. Eoin may have his own opinion on this question and we had spoken in the past of recruiting another mod, but then everything settled down.

As for actively publicising boards in the community, you would need to contact the Admins to see how they feel about it.

Finally, as the Mgt. Co. committees would like to remind us, they have no association with boards.ie or with this forum in particular, therefore, don't expect that they will take on board anything said here. Hardly surprising given that the Mgt. Co. (for the Wood at least) doesn't even seem to take on board anything said to them in direct contact.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont have a problem with the idea in general. I'd be concerned about what it looks like (nothin controversial basically!) and that we dont break any laws in the mean time (littering, postering etc etc).

If you can expound on the idea a little that would help. Other then that I will rely on the Mod's commonsense and yours too I guess.

Sounds like a great community-focused idea though, I dont want to dissuade you at all, I just dont want an angry Garda on my doorstep either.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks for your comments guys...and of course all posts on here won't have any weight when it comes down to dealings with the management companies (that is always a given!).

As a regular poster on this forum, I appreciate that in my day to day life there are always going to be some neighbour issues that need to be answered; that's what's great about the website - even when the obvious questions are being answered for the oblivious person!

It is even better that some neighbours on this website are meeting before they've even moved in! You can get to know what some people are like, whether nice or not, and meet up to make good friendships (still waiting for this night out Foxy06!).

Afterall, in this development, Charlesland in particular, there are lots of people who are all in the same boat...they've bought their starter home, they want to to get on with their neighbours, they are interested with real issues about where they live (including whether the hairdressers is good or not!)...so all I'm interested in is improving things for everyone by increasing local user numbers on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

astrofluff wrote:
    Thanks for your comments guys...and of course all posts on here won't have any weight when it comes down to dealings with the management companies (that is always a given!).

As a regular poster on this forum, I appreciate that in my day to day life there are always going to be some neighbour issues that need to be answered; that's what's great about the website - even when the obvious questions are being answered for the oblivious person!

It is even better that some neighbours on this website are meeting before they've even moved in! You can get to know what some people are like, whether nice or not, and meet up to make good friendships (still waiting for this night out Foxy06!).

Afterall, in this development, Charlesland in particular, there are lots of people who are all in the same boat...they've bought their starter home, they want to to get on with their neighbours, they are interested with real issues about where they live (including whether the hairdressers is good or not!)...so all I'm interested in is improving things for everyone by increasing local user numbers on the forum.

Is it a good idea to be promoting more posts like "Rats in Charlesland Wood" :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ok, taking on Devore's comments and the rest of the points made (not forgetting your sarcism Marcais), I'm going to put together some simple artwork (might use boards.ie logo - hope this is ok - Mike you might see if this is ok with the powers that be before I put it up) and put it up on the shuttle bus and also in Superquinn.

I know this section of the forum is taken up by the more Charlesland orientated threads but if someone would like to expand this to Greystones generally, suggestion would be great!

Astro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Run it up and PM it to myself and Eoin. One of us will put it to the powers that be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

Finally, as the Mgt. Co. committees would like to remind us, they have no association with boards.ie or with this forum in particular, therefore, don't expect that they will take on board anything said here. Hardly surprising given that the Mgt. Co. (for the Wood at least) doesn't even seem to take on board anything said to them in direct contact.

You're telling me I had to go into Baggot st on fri after 6 weeks waiting for D.R. to reply to his voicemails jaysus he went pale when I arrived in reception and he happened to be there at the same time as I arrived --a 2 hour meeting ensued with him and after 10 mins into it his director of propertieswas called in ...:D for more info p.m me.For those interested you'l get a right laugh out of the details

Advertisement