Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia

Options
  • 01-05-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey guys. Just need an opinion. I'm looking at buying a 00 Skoda Octavia TDI Elegance 110bhp with 69k on the clock. Now, i'm buying this car in england and it really does seem as good as it looks with a full history with it. now the car sitting in my driveway will stand me about €6800 (the price of car, vrt, flights over, boat home etc...) Its a Nov 2000 car so its the facelifted model and its the elegance not the slx or glx. So need your opinions. what you think guys? here's a list of stuff about it

Skoda ,Octavia 1.9 TDI Hatchback, regd Nov 6th 2000, Mileage on clock right now is 68,841. Service History Mainly Dealer with some owner' last engine oil / filter @ Feb 2007, MOT to June 07, Tax to Aug 07, (these may be of little relevance in Ireland?) 2 previous owners, Since I have had the car I have replaced , clutch, shock absorbers, front discs and pads all round.and cam belt and tensioner, the aircon system regassed, the latter 2 items in last 8 weeks. Car is very tidy indeed , well cared for and has a few very minor chips on bodywork, only thing of real note is a small scuff on nearside front wheel arch.Tyres are all used but with good tread , Interior is also well cared for with no rips or tears etc, has quality fitted mats too. alloy wheels. Skoda sound system, FM/AM Radio, cassette and 6 CD Multichanger mounted in Boot. Climat aircon and Electric factory fitted Sunroof

Should i buy this car? 17 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    deckie27techtuxyblobertagent_smithCucullanHashSlingingIce_BoxgafarrellHungryJoeyAlanDeamon234patsyhZiabRJoeySullyWeaselator8k2q1gfcz9s5d4 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

No
    There a great car, we bought an octivia in 2000, same as yours. were on our fourth one now. there very reliable as they are made by vw. 69k miles is low for its year

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭dizbo

There a great car, we bought an octivia in 2000, same as yours. were on our fourth one now. there very reliable as they are made by vw. 69k miles is low for its year

so would you say 6800 is a good price for it?? maybe you could take the poll as i would like to get as many opinions as possible as i would be going over sunday to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I said no at that price. €6,800 sounds very expensive to me for a 7 year old Octavia TDi irrespective of what spec it has.

I would also have a full UK HPI check done on the car as 69k miles on a 7 year old diesel is very low indeed. They will verify the mileage, service history, any previous insurance claims, MOT failures and outstanding finance.

If the car gets the thumps up from the HPI company then I would work on the price.

bazz26 wrote:
    I said no at that price. €6,800 sounds very expensive to me for a 7 year old Octavia TDi irrespective of what spec it has.

I would also have a full UK HPI check done on the car as 69k miles on a 7 year old diesel is very low indeed. They will verify the mileage, service history, any previous insurance claims, MOT failures and outstanding finance.

If the car gets the thumps up from the HPI company then I would work on the price.

done that already. it's 100% perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It'd want to be mint at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Will make a good taxi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,350 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not that great a deal in my book. Have a look in the buy and sell and you'll find '00 ones for half that price. No doubt with more miles and in not as good a condition, but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

No
    Skoda makes great cars these days. Great engines. Great build quality and they look good to boot. For the money I'd personally prefer a skoda to a vw or audi (never though during the 80's id ever be saying that ;) ). Inside if you get an elegance model they are practically as nice as its sister vw, seat and audi sisters.
    There is a good reason so many taxi drivers swear by them.. they are bullet proof and represent great value for money if you ignore the badge snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

whats the 1.4 petrol like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

No
    It's a great car - got one too but it's a bit pricey even for Elegance spec - you could easily pick one up for that price here if you shop around If it was in showroom condition it might be worth consdiering but it doesn't sound like it from the description - I only paid 7200 for mine over a year ago with a full 12 month warranty and 60k on the clock - seems a bit of a waste travelling all that way sorting out VRT crap etc for something you can easily pick up here. Mileage isn't a huge issue with these cars either - there are some taxis knocking about with 350k on them and still going strong!

• Advertisement

eamon234 wrote:
    It's a great car - got one too but it's a bit pricey even for Elegance spec - you could easily pick one up for that price here if you shop around If it was in showroom condition it might be worth consdiering but it doesn't sound like it from the description - I only paid 7200 for mine over a year ago with a full 12 month warranty and 60k on the clock - seems a bit of a waste travelling all that way sorting out VRT crap etc for something you can easily pick up here. Mileage isn't a huge issue with these cars either - there are some taxis knocking about with 350k on them and still going strong!

thing is all the ones over here aren't as clean as this one. it also has a cream interior which looks lovely and i've never seen in any other octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tivoli wrote:
    whats the 1.4 petrol like?

1.4 litre is the same unit as in the Golf, only has 75bhp so don't expect miracles. Best suited to urban driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Zagorkagirl

Sorry to go off subject a bit, but does anyone know how much a new engine would cost for a Skoda Octavia 2001 1.9TDI. My engine blew recently and I just want a rough idea of what to expect.

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
    ZG

• Registered Users Posts: 65,350 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Start your own thread, Zagorkagirl. You'll probably get more replies!

Advertisement